U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cartagena (Colombia) vs. Salvador (Brazil)?
Cartagena (Colombia) 14 45.16%
Salvador (Brazil) 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,080,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Salvador 8 votes to Cartagena 1.

I expected it to be more equal...more 50/50. Seems like Salvador is overwhelmingly getting the nod here.

On that note, I have been to Salvador, although only for a few days. I quite liked it as well. I usually think of other cities being more touristically popular, like Rio de Janeiro, etc. I'd have put Salvador down the list maybe #4, possibly #3 to visit.

Being that Cartagena would be Colombia's #1 destination, the overwhelming favor towards Salvador surprises me a bit.

That being said, I've never been to Cartagena.
Cali then Cartagena then Bogota if you're a young man and want to party.

Cartagena if you're an old dog like me and just want to relax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM

497 posts, read 874,480 times
One thing to keep in mind in Salvador, is that the poor there are VERY poor, more so than you may imagine. Also, Crack usage is unfortunately growing throughout Brazil, further crippling the less advantaged. Just something to watch out for! Still, if you're going for a vacay, I highly doubt you'd have to grapple with these things.

Boa Sorte!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
One thing to keep in mind in Salvador, is that the poor there are VERY poor, more so than you may imagine. Also, Crack usage is unfortunately growing throughout Brazil, further crippling the less advantaged. Just something to watch out for! Still, if you're going for a vacay, I highly doubt you'd have to grapple with these things.

Boa Sorte!
I haven't been following Brazil in a long time...I was there back in 1997-1998.

But crack usage...damn, that's messed up that they're getting into it now. That drug ravaged most American cities for a decade or so, and only now it seems that it's a drug going into seriously decline in the U.S.

But Brazil getting into that nasty one. That being said, it makes sense. One thing I noticed in Brazil, is that with the poverty and social problems (at least back in the 90s), people had a very 'life for right now no matter what' mentality. So, you'd see young kids climb onto passing buses, hanging by the windows for free rides....I saw a few times people climbing up on buses, and 'surfing' from up top.

Kind of a 'who cares what happens to me' attitude. It was also a time when vigilante groups throughout Brazil were shooting and killing all the homeless kids on a semi-regular basis, as they deemed the problem too significant, and the police to unable to handle it.

Nontheless, I love Brazil...despite all of it's social problems and otherwise....and that being said, I can see how a nasty drug like crack cocaine would easily start becoming a problem in Brazil (despite a major decline in somewhere like the U.S. right these days).

Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Yes, Crack (O Crack) in Brazil is becoming QUITE the problem, and many think that that the government hasn't/isn't doing enough to stop this wave. I can't speak for all of Brazil, but it's DEFINITELY in the Northeast. In fact, drugs in general have become such a serious problem for Brazil, that the government has ramped up its border control (which is somewhat impossible, the damn country is HUGE) to better watch what goes in and out the country. Brazil, traditionally the second largest drug market in the New World (US number 1), has a growing appetite as the country develops.

Brazil may have an even worse problem with the drug because of poorer infrastructure and the corruption levels...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 AM

5,218 posts, read 8,040,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'd go to Brazil, hands down. Both have crime problems, so precautions are necessary. But Brazilians can be fun. Every Colombian I've met in the United States is a supreme pain-in-the-ass, so I have no desire to visit that country. Not only that, any tourist literature, including that put out by the Department of State, indicates that Colombia is more hazardous. Eff Colombia.
Most Colombians in the US are from places like Medellin and Cali. Colombia is really a bunch of little countries that one national government holds together. Each region is completely different in everything (people, culture, attitude, dialect, climate, lifestyle, everything.)

Coastal Colombia has a much more Venezuela, Cuba, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Panama type of vibe; more so than anywhere inland. If you like that version of Latin America, you might be pleasantly surprised with Cartagena.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Yes, Crack (O Crack) in Brazil is becoming QUITE the problem, and many think that that the government hasn't/isn't doing enough to stop this wave. I can't speak for all of Brazil, but it's DEFINITELY in the Northeast. In fact, drugs in general have become such a serious problem for Brazil, that the government has ramped up its border control (which is somewhat impossible, the damn country is HUGE) to better watch what goes in and out the country. Brazil, traditionally the second largest drug market in the New World (US number 1), has a growing appetite as the country develops.

Brazil may have an even worse problem with the drug because of poorer infrastructure and the corruption levels...
I could definitely see that. It was years ago when I was in Rio and Sao Paulo. I could certainly feel/sense that Rio had a drug problem.

I was thinking that too, with that pourous border with Colombia, etc. It's just way too easy to infilterate right into all of Brazil. Plus that entire poverty/favela thing...it's a great harvesting ground for exactly that kind of thing.

Plus, like the US/Europe, Brazilians really seem to idolize the lifestyle that comes with drug usage. Which is the opposite over here in Japan/Korea etc, where people just have no concept of envisioning a heavily drug-usage lifestyle as 'hip', etc.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I could definitely see that. It was years ago when I was in Rio and Sao Paulo. I could certainly feel/sense that Rio had a drug problem.

I was thinking that too, with that pourous border with Colombia, etc. It's just way too easy to infilterate right into all of Brazil. Plus that entire poverty/favela thing...it's a great harvesting ground for exactly that kind of thing.

Plus, like the US/Europe, Brazilians really seem to idolize the lifestyle that comes with drug usage. Which is the opposite over here in Japan/Korea etc, where people just have no concept of envisioning a heavily drug-usage lifestyle as 'hip', etc.
But it isn't just coming from Colombia. It's also coming through Paraguay and Bolivia. These areas used to have very porous borders, with the indigenous people moving in and out. THat has changed.

Furthermore, the problem with the Colombian Border is that it's all Amazon. How do you patrol that place? You can't, at least not effectively.

And you're right about the idolization of drugs in the Western World. My friend went to São Paolo, and said that drugs were just openly used at clubs, and it was seen as the person "living it up." People in the favelas want to live it up too, and some people are desperate to feel happy, especially in a country so known for income inequality and corruption (the latter of which, ironically, has become more widespread, despite the president's actions).

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,701,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Most Colombians in the US are from places like Medellin and Cali. Colombia is really a bunch of little countries that one national government holds together. Each region is completely different in everything (people, culture, attitude, dialect, climate, lifestyle, everything.)

Coastal Colombia has a much more Venezuela, Cuba, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Panama type of vibe; more so than anywhere inland. If you like that version of Latin America, you might be pleasantly surprised with Cartagena.
I always got that impression when I had read about Coastal Colombia, I grew up with a lot of people from Barranquilla (and a lot from the Caribbean as well) so I always heard about the similarities (during never ending debates..sigh).

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM

367 posts, read 761,763 times
Quote:
I can't speak for Cartagena, but Salvador is DEFINITELY black/mulatto. The Afro presence is very strong and is much more than folklore. The way the people look, the music they listen to, the way they speak, even the nicknames for Salvador da Bahia ("San" is not a word in Portuguese) illustrate the presence of slave descendants/Afros.

I think you should check out Salvador da Bahia, especially during carnaval! It's not the touristy Carnaval in Rio or São Paolo, in fact that's where many Brazilians go to have "real" carnaval. Also, going to Salvador allows you to visit other parts of the NE Brasil for cheap, through a series of airlines that you can check out.
Cartagena was the biggest slave port in Spanish colonial South America and one of the biggest in the whole western hemisphere, so because of that most of the inhabitants, Cartageneros, are an African admixed people. They're not as African as people from the Pacific coast or Palenqueros but, they're as African admixed as your average Dominicano/a.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,186,566 times
For what it's worth, Colombia does not require US visitors to obtain a visa first before arriving in the country, Brazil however does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or