U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Cartagena (Colombia) vs. Salvador (Brazil)?
Cartagena (Colombia) 14 48.28%
Salvador (Brazil) 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 19,629,816 times

Advertisements

If you could spend a week in one, which would you choose?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,111,217 times
I'd go to Brazil, hands down. Both have crime problems, so precautions are necessary. But Brazilians can be fun. Every Colombian I've met in the United States is a supreme pain-in-the-ass, so I have no desire to visit that country. Not only that, any tourist literature, including that put out by the Department of State, indicates that Colombia is more hazardous. Eff Colombia.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM

637 posts, read 791,078 times
Cartagena has a nicer skyline than Salvador and I think nicer beaches. It's strikingly similar to Miami. While I love Brazil, I choose Cartagena de las Indias - the city's full name.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Cartagena has a nicer skyline than Salvador and I think nicer beaches. It's strikingly similar to Miami. While I love Brazil, I choose Cartagena de las Indias - the city's full name.
While I'm not sure about Salvador's beaches...I've often heard that Cartagena really doesn't have very good beaches. Kind of flat and dirty, and heard a ton of touts that relentlessly comb the beach for tourists to sell things to.

Granted I've never been to a beach in Cartagena, but that's what I heard about them.

I have been to Salvador though, just never that beach. Pelourinho was pretty cool, however, I've heard all of Cartagena's much larger colonial downtown, is just so much bigger.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 AM

546 posts, read 589,690 times
Cartagena is nice, but too many tourists, a tourist trap. More tourist attractions such as the baffling fortress and colonial city.
Since I'm from a tourist town, I hate tourists and I don't want to see tourists in my holidays, that's why I'd rather go to Santa Marta, also Colombia, or San Salvador de Bahia.
San Salvador is nicer if you avoid Pelorinho (most robberies take place there) and stick to barra beyond the lighthouse and beaches and islands beyond.
No similarity whatsoever except that both have many slave descendants, but that's mostly folklore for tourists.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,387,522 times
Go to Colombia where the women are beautiful and the people are friendly. Cartagena is an incredible city as well. For beaches, you need to go to the islas.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM

497 posts, read 426,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Cartagena is nice, but too many tourists, a tourist trap. More tourist attractions such as the baffling fortress and colonial city.
Since I'm from a tourist town, I hate tourists and I don't want to see tourists in my holidays, that's why I'd rather go to Santa Marta, also Colombia, or San Salvador de Bahia.
San Salvador is nicer if you avoid Pelorinho (most robberies take place there) and stick to barra beyond the lighthouse and beaches and islands beyond.
No similarity whatsoever except that both have many slave descendants, but that's mostly folklore for tourists.
I can't speak for Cartagena, but Salvador is DEFINITELY black/mulatto. The Afro presence is very strong and is much more than folklore. The way the people look, the music they listen to, the way they speak, even the nicknames for Salvador da Bahia ("San" is not a word in Portuguese) illustrate the presence of slave descendants/Afros.

I think you should check out Salvador da Bahia, especially during carnaval! It's not the touristy Carnaval in Rio or São Paolo, in fact that's where many Brazilians go to have "real" carnaval. Also, going to Salvador allows you to visit other parts of the NE Brasil for cheap, through a series of airlines that you can check out.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,513,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
While I'm not sure about Salvador's beaches...I've often heard that Cartagena really doesn't have very good beaches. Kind of flat and dirty, and heard a ton of touts that relentlessly comb the beach for tourists to sell things to.

Granted I've never been to a beach in Cartagena, but that's what I heard about them.

I have been to Salvador though, just never that beach. Pelourinho was pretty cool, however, I've heard all of Cartagena's much larger colonial downtown, is just so much bigger.
In both cases the beaches in the city are littered with trash. But small trips outside the city and you get magnificent beaches with warm water.

Both cities are very similar but salvador has the best carnival in the world as far as I'm concerned so if I got a week I'm spending it in salvador during carnival

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,513,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'd go to Brazil, hands down. Both have crime problems, so precautions are necessary. But Brazilians can be fun. Every Colombian I've met in the United States is a supreme pain-in-the-ass, so I have no desire to visit that country. Not only that, any tourist literature, including that put out by the Department of State, indicates that Colombia is more hazardous. Eff Colombia.
Cartagena is the safest part of Colombia and I'm pretty sure the tourist advisories weren't intended for that section of Colombia when written.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Salvador 8 votes to Cartagena 1.

I expected it to be more equal...more 50/50. Seems like Salvador is overwhelmingly getting the nod here.

On that note, I have been to Salvador, although only for a few days. I quite liked it as well. I usually think of other cities being more touristically popular, like Rio de Janeiro, etc. I'd have put Salvador down the list maybe #4, possibly #3 to visit.

Being that Cartagena would be Colombia's #1 destination, the overwhelming favor towards Salvador surprises me a bit.

That being said, I've never been to Cartagena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas