U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:24 AM
 
Location: IN MY BED
422 posts, read 345,618 times
Reputation: 205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Wow, lots of misinformation in your post. There is prostitution in Colombia? Geez, the oldest profession is alive and well the world over. Colombia is much safer than it was 15 or 20 years ago. I have been a few times in the last 4 years. No, it is not Disneyland or even San Diego but with proper precaution you can be just fine there. Stay in the safe areas of the big cities and you will be fine.

Most Colombians moving to Panama? No, not even close. Yes, there are quite a few that go there for the economic opportunity presented by the canal zone. After years of violence and economic hardship, Colombia has turned a corner with a much safer environment and this is attracting greater investment. It is not nearly as bad as you claim....but please keep the scare tactics up b/c I'd rather keep it to myself.
Hmmmm can't fool me. I will have to read your comments to the one million illegal Colombians living in Panama. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, but Colombian girls abuse of it and their men abuse of dealing with the white snow. Colombia is much safer now than it was 20 years ago? Yeah rite, keep going there and I will hear about you on the 6 o´clock news.

Canal Zone? Dude the Canal Zone does not longer exist since 1999, what are you talking about? I wonder if you live in Colombia or in Panama to be talking about these two countries, it is not the same to go there for a week vacations than to permanently live there. In Panama, I can go anywhere I want, when I want and with whoever I want. Can you do the same in Colombia?

Most Colombians living in Panama whether legally or illegaly say the same thing, they cannot live there because of safety reasons, economic problems, and the way of living is far behind of what they get in Panama. Are you acquainted with the terms "WAR REFUGEES" or "POLITICAL REFUGEES" hmmm find out about it, and then come back and tell us if they apply to Colombians living abroad.

I think I am not the person with a lot of misinformation in his post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've been to Honduras (not on your list) and El Salvador. Both countries are very poor and lots of violence, however most violence is gang related and in the capital cities of those two countries. I personally love both those countries, but I don't think they would be good tourist destinations for the average person. Both countries have some good tourist destinations in the mountains or near the ocean. El Salvador doesn't have many good beaches, but it has a pretty coastline, on the other hand Honduras has some good beaches. Panama is the best suited for the average tourist, and I'd say Guatamala has a lot of things going for it, but still quite a bit of crime and a lot of poverty. If's it's your first foray to Central America I'd stick to Panama or Costa Rica, probably Panama.

A big plus I never read about El Salvador is that their official currency is the USD, so it's easy to buy things and know exactly the value of things. Also, the people are very friendly. But again, as a tourist destination, probably not, too much crime, poverty, and in general choas, driving the roads are terrifying, even compared to Honduras or say Mexico.
I'm surprised you found the roads in El Salvador "terrifying". In my experience the roads in El Salvador are in pretty good shape and possibly the best in Central America. The roads (infrastructure in general) are much better in E.S than in Honduras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,235 posts, read 1,357,453 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Hmmmm can't fool me. I will have to read your comments to the one million illegal Colombians living in Panama. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, but Colombian girls abuse of it and their men abuse of dealing with the white snow. Colombia is much safer now than it was 20 years ago? Yeah rite, keep going there and I will hear about you on the 6 o´clock news.

Canal Zone? Dude the Canal Zone does not longer exist since 1999, what are you talking about? I wonder if you live in Colombia or in Panama to be talking about these two countries, it is not the same to go there for a week vacations than to permanently live there. In Panama, I can go anywhere I want, when I want and with whoever I want. Can you do the same in Colombia?

Most Colombians living in Panama whether legally or illegaly say the same thing, they cannot live there because of safety reasons, economic problems, and the way of living is far behind of what they get in Panama. Are you acquainted with the terms "WAR REFUGEES" or "POLITICAL REFUGEES" hmmm find out about it, and then come back and tell us if they apply to Colombians living abroad.

I think I am not the person with a lot of misinformation in his post.
I never meant to suggest Colombia is Disneyland or that it is as safe as Panama. Clearly that is not the case. But it is much safer than it was 20 years. That is a fact.

I am aware the Canal Zone went away in 1999. But the canal's presence as a center of economic activity attracts people from all over including Colombia.


Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post

Most Colombians living in Panama whether legally or illegaly say the same thing, they cannot live there because of safety reasons, economic problems, and the way of living is far behind of what they get in Panama. Are you acquainted with the terms "WAR REFUGEES" or "POLITICAL REFUGEES" hmmm find out about it, and then come back and tell us if they apply to Colombians living abroad. .
Yes, there are still security issues in Colombia. My prior post may not have made that clear. But the misinformation you stated in the first post is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post

Colombia is such a nice place to live that most Colombians are moving out of this paradise, unfortunatelly, a lot of them are moving illegaly into Panama to work here and support and help their families back in Colombia because there, people cant get a decent job, or get paid to live well. .
Most Colombians are not moving anywhere. Yes, the economic activity generated by the canal does attract Colombians so even you agree that is one aspect which brings them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 PM
 
Location: IN MY BED
422 posts, read 345,618 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I never meant to suggest Colombia is Disneyland or that it is as safe as Panama. Clearly that is not the case. But it is much safer than it was 20 years. That is a fact.

I am aware the Canal Zone went away in 1999. But the canal's presence as a center of economic activity attracts people from all over including Colombia.




Yes, there are still security issues in Colombia. My prior post may not have made that clear. But the misinformation you stated in the first post is:



Most Colombians are not moving anywhere. Yes, the economic activity generated by the canal does attract Colombians so even you agree that is one aspect which brings them there.
Dude once again you are wrong, I guess when you mentioned the Canal Zone you meant to say The Panama Canal, well my friend, I can tell you that Panamanian laws state that only Panamanian citizens can work in the Panama Canal, foreigners under no reason whatsoever will be hired at the Panama Canal. Look it up at www.pancanal.com Probably, you are talking about the expansion of the Canal, but that is something else and even there, 90% of the workers have to be Panamanians. Sometimes, most people get confused thinking that there are a great deal of American Citizens working in Panama, but what people dont know is that most of them are what we call Zonians, "children born to American citizens in the former Canal Zone." These people are Americans, but guess what? most of them applied for the Panamanian citizenship and by law, they are Panamanians and they have the same rights as any other citizen. They can even vote in the presidential elections.

Now, let's be honest, most Colombians moving into Panama do not have higher studies, they come to work as: prostitutes, hairdressers, waiter and waitress, maids, street vendors (chichas, empanadas, arepas and papas rellenas) juices, patties, I dont know how to translate arepas and filled potatoes, taxi drives and all those types of jobs that most Panamanian do not want to do. Also, you have those who come to deal in you know what, rob, and kill people. It is getting to the point that we hear on the news how Colombians are killing each other, some of them come to Panamá running away from all those drug related problems and believe me, a week or two later, they find them here and kill them, so they are bringing their problems into Panama and that is why most Panamanians do not like Colombians and want them out of here.

As I said, one thing is to go there for holidays and another is to actually live there. Ask Costa Ricans, Peruvians, Ecuatorians, Venezuelans, Brazilians, Chileans and Argentinans if they like Colombians and how they behave in their countries. You will get your answer.

Last edited by folicure; 02-23-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 1,686,923 times
Reputation: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
American male looking for a place to vacation & chill this winter for about a month. Not looking for heavy American touristy areas. Just somewhere to chill and hang out. Was thinking these 4 countries. Any recommendations? Are any safer than others? I'm a 42 old male and pretty low key. As long as I keep aware am I OK safety wise in these places? Am leaning more towards Nicaragua or Panama. I hear Granada and Leon in Nicaragua are good cities to make as a base.
Panama is the safest, as long as you stay clear of the region near the Colombian border. Nicaragua is probably the most naturally beautiful overall, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 1,686,923 times
Reputation: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Ask Costa Ricans, Peruvians, Ecuatorians, Venezuelans, Brazilians, Chileans and Argentinans if they like Colombians and how they behave in their countries. You will get your answer.
I'm sorry, but he's right. People lie like Colombia has become some sort of super safe, tourist friendly paradise in the last 15 years, but visit any of the surrounding countries that Colombians move to in mass numbers and see what the people who live in them have to say about Colombia.

I lived in Costa Rica as recently as the 2000s and a lot of Costa Ricans were basically afraid of Colombians because a large number of them moved into Costa Rica and were known for violence and crime. The father of the host family I was living with worked as an armed security guard at a bank and told me that Colombians were known for moving to Costa Rica and committing armed robberies at banks, stores, and the homes of wealthy Ticos (Costa Ricans).

And then, there's the fact that many of the drugs trafficed through Costa Rica and the rest of Central America come from Colombia. Drug related violence in Costa Rica is on the rise, and the people responsible are almost always Colombians.

Also, while prostitution is legal in Costa Rica for women 18 and up, there is a HUGE problem with underaged girls being trafficked through Panama and Costa Rica for prostitution. When authorities at the border of Panama and Costa Rica stop you to check the vehicle you are riding in, they are not only looking for drugs being illegally trafficked from Colombia, but underaged Colombian child prostitutes as well.

If you have been there a few times and have made it back safely, then great for you. But Colombia still has a massive problem with drugs, violence, poverty, RAMPANT prostitution, theft and scams, and yes, they STILL kidnap gringos/Americans for ransom in Colombia. That's no knock on any of the many hardworking, good people who do live there, but Colombians---and by extension Colombia---do not have a good reputation throughout Central and South America for a reason.

Last edited by Julio July; 02-25-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 1,686,923 times
Reputation: 3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
colombia is much safer now than it was 20 years ago? Yeah rite, keep going there and i will hear about you on the 6 o´clock news.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 AM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 932,747 times
Reputation: 1119
Nicaragua crime rate is MUCH lower than ES/GU/HON and even lower in some measures than PA/CR and many SA countries. I have no idea why this is but good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 AM
 
Location: IN MY BED
422 posts, read 345,618 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Nicaragua crime rate is MUCH lower than ES/GU/HON and even lower in some measures than PA/CR and many SA countries. I have no idea why this is but good for them.
Because nobody steals where there is nothing to steal. That is it. Nicaragua is considered the second poorest country in the Americas. Second to Haití. That country is very poor and many Nicaraguans are moving illegaly into Costa Rica and Panama because they have nothing to eat there. Their minimun wage is the worst in this side of the world, therefore, who would like to relocate there? unless you bring your own money and want to spend it, spend it, and spend it, getting nothing in return. Its population is very illiterate and they are very problematic, how so? they solve their problems with the "machete law," forget about "let's talk about it."
But dont take me wrong, Nicaragua is a beautiful country with its lakes and flora and fauna, you can go there to visit, but I would not recommend to relocate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Nicaragua crime rate is MUCH lower than ES/GU/HON and even lower in some measures than PA/CR and many SA countries. I have no idea why this is but good for them.
Yes, your right. Nicaragua has some of the lowest crime rates in C.A. Despite Nicaraguas problems, the tourism industry is slowly but steadily growing. A good number of foreigners are buying property in the Rivas and Carazo departments in Southern Nicaragua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top