U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,086,805 times

Advertisements

American male looking for a place to vacation & chill this winter for about a month. Not looking for heavy American touristy areas. Just somewhere to chill and hang out. Was thinking these 4 countries. Any recommendations? Are any safer than others? I'm a 42 old male and pretty low key. As long as I keep aware am I OK safety wise in these places? Am leaning more towards Nicaragua or Panama. I hear Granada and Leon in Nicaragua are good cities to make as a base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM

11,066 posts, read 9,218,066 times
Panama.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

250 posts, read 223,917 times
Panama! El Salvador is disgusting country so is Nicaragua.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM

33,460 posts, read 19,308,861 times
Panama's the only safe one, Nicaragua might come in second. The other two are basically at war. Guatemala is very beautiful, but it's been trashed first by US foreign policy (a US-lead coup that over time caused a civil war) and now by drug trafficking and a military that's still used to having carte blanche with extra-judicial killings.

So much beauty destroyed, just because the US felt the need to protect its economic interests in Guatemala, then it became part of a vague domino-theory, and now it's mainly because Americans want to consume illicit drugs. I can't imagine why, but they do.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 PM

helloimage & NeilVA....curious have you been to El Salvador and Nicaragua? Have you been to the cities of Leon and Granada in Nicaragua? I'm assuming you have both been to Panama because you are picking it. What part of Panama would you recommend?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Anyone been to Las Tablas Panama?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM

250 posts, read 223,917 times
Yes I been to El Salvador and Nicaragua. It is filled with gangs and violence. I would not recommend it for a vacation.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,074,118 times
My younger sister lived in the region for 13 years- doing business- hanging out- swimming with the dolphins and being a regular jungle woman..She would tell me "I am living in paradise" and she was for the longest time..One day she went to buy mini-violins for some of the poor kids..so she could start giving them music lessons...

She hailed a local cab...all was fine...Then something odd took place- the driver suddenly took her down a desolate little road- then stopped...a second man jumped into the cab and began to stab her with such furry that his fist holding the knife broke a few of her ribs- She had defense wounds all over her arms...she some how warded off the attack...The doctors had to open her up from breast bone to below her belly button to repair punctured organs..

I begged her to return to Canada....she stayed a while...hoping to get some justice or revenge...I was livid...felt like going down their and destroying the crap hole...Finally she came home with a bad case of post traumatic stress disorder..she is better and back to work.

I hope that whole region continues to rot...all she did was employ people- take care of the locals...and was good to everyone- and all she got in return was some red eyed crazy man who probably killed white people for a living....

A few years earlier some people hyjacked a business she had started- She went to the police chief in Managua and complained- He looked her in the face and state- "be out of the country in two days or they will find you floating in the ocean"-------------real nice place.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Wow that is a really brutal story. I am sorry for your sister. I guess I am beginning to cross Guatamala/Nicaragua and El Salvador off the map.

Any recommendations on good places to go in Panama? How does Panama compare to Puerto Rico or Domincan Republic for vacation? How does it compare to Columbia? Buenos Aires is also on my radar.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 PM

497 posts, read 435,159 times
When I was in Costa Rica, many of the Costaricans told me that Nicaragua, Guatemala, and El Salvador were extremely dangerous. Costa Rica currently has an influx of many Nicaraguans entering the country, for example. I personally would not recommend them for a vacation. I also visited Panama (Panama City). VERY nice, it's obvious that money is POURING INTO that place, and the people are GORGEOUS (though short, like most in L. America). The city was still dangerous, with one of the clubs that we went to getting "busted" for drugs...by the police...while we were STILL THERE! Not fun...

Oh and Panama is pretty expensive, compared to your other choices anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas