U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
America has more blacks in raw number and percentage wise

Only because of how the US defines "blackness". Brazil has more if we include those who display significant evidence of African ancestry. I will not get into a debate about how many blacks/Afrodescendants live in Brazil because I do not think any one has reliable data. Pardo captures any one who doesnt self identify as black or white.

 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,672,622 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
That might be but she self defines as black.l I am always amused by the people who advocate that folks should be allowed to self define, when they do not wish to be "black", but then ridicule others with recent mixed ancestry who self define as "black".
I brought up that Melissa Harris Perry is biracial because it doesn't add or take away from the points that you or others, including myself are making here.

She has the right to identify how she chooses ultimately.
 
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
I brought up that Melissa Harris Perry is biracial because it doesn't add or take away from the points that you or others, including myself are making here.

She has the right to identify how she chooses ultimately.

I agree with you. However many Latins will use her as an example of how "racist"{ the USA is because she self identifies as black.

I watched a riot on a Tony Brown show (when it was still on). A Brazilian woman, who looked like Nia Long, self identified as "black" and went on to describe how, in her opinion, the "black" struggle in Brazil was being undermined by the fact that minute differences in skin color/facial features was used to "divide" people who all faced bias and stigmatization because of their visible African ancestry.

A white Brazilian diplomat, started off with trying to convince her because she was "not black, because she is so pretty"...and that " he couldnt understand why she would want to call herself black".

She used his comments, which insulted her, as evidence of how Brazilian racism manifests. She claimed that in the white man's eyes she would be good enough to be his mistress, unlike a more "African" woman who would be fit only to stay in the kitchen.

He became enraged and called her an anti white racist, because she refused to identify in some part of the mulato continuum. A shouting match then developed and he ended with deploring that the fact she left living in the USA "destroy" her.
 
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 PM
 
367 posts, read 760,743 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
In Brazil, the immigrants didn't form separate "communities", with their "own culture".

They CONTRIBUTED to the Brazilian culture as a whole, just like all other groups did, and because part of this Brazilian "fusion" culture.

That means that all the groups were assimilated by the Brazilian society, but giving their own contributions to the Brazilian culture was a whole.


Even the Brazilian Muslims, who are a small group of a few dozens of thousands, feel very integrated in the Brazilian society, enjoying Brazilian cuisine (with their own "halal" restrictions, of course), Brazilian music (with some restrictions, of course), Brazilian passion for football/soccer, etc...
Including the Nazis!
 
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
 
367 posts, read 760,743 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks0v0 View Post
Thank you!! No one is pure black in the Americas.you would think people know this by now smh.
That's not true, there are individuals who have tested 100% African on DNA results. Most of these folks are from the more African islands of the Caribbean like Jamaica though.
 
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM
 
6,013 posts, read 6,917,747 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
not true. brazil has a bigger pure black and mixed black population compared to us. i would even say whites in brazil are blacker than whites in the usa if that makes any sense but latino whites in general are blacker than most white americans who along with white canadians, & whites in falkland islands may be the whitest whitest in the americas.i don really know if we as black american average around 75% black or not and 25% white or not. mainly due to error in testing mixed populations. i dont think the test are reliable when u have a group where one person is 90% black, the next is 20% and the next is 60%. i mean there is no real average. off of phenotype black brazilians appear more african than most american blacks. 2ndly white brazilians appear more african influenced than white americans and the mulato appearance is dominant in brazil.

american mulatos are also quadroons while most black americans are griffes, in between mulatos and africans. also black brazilians due to seem to be more native american influence than most black american. they are not the zambo blacks i see in mexico or central america though.
What?..... Also african phenotypes varies no simple look
 
Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM
 
56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
That's not true, there are individuals who have tested 100% African on DNA results. Most of these folks are from the more African islands of the Caribbean like Jamaica though.
Or perhaps the Sea Islands that run from SC to GA too.
 
Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 PM
 
492 posts, read 1,018,408 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
America has more blacks in raw number and percentage wise
Perception about race in the US is very acute, while in Brasil the race issue is less critical and serious.

One factor people in the forum are neglecting to point out is the influence that religion plays in race.

From the very beginning the people of the US have had a tradition of being radical protestants with hundreds of sect variations. Each sect felt to be the "chosen one" with no room for anyone else; very provincial.
Some sects were burning "witches" up until the late 1800's. The famous KKK were lynching blacks in the name of Jesus up until the 1900's. Some sects believed that blacks were descendants from Cain up until the late 1970's. Unfortunately many of these people have remained the same.

On the other hand Brasil followed the Catholic tradition. Pope Paulo III; On June of 1537 in his Sublimis Deus, Unigenitus y Veritas ipsis declared that all indigenous people had souls and were the same as any other human being, and that they should be respected and treated as such.

Knowing this, which culture do you think would be more inclusive?

Last edited by cjester; 05-27-2014 at 08:49 PM..
 
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 AM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,470,982 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
That's not true, there are individuals who have tested 100% African on DNA results. Most of these folks are from the more African islands of the Caribbean like Jamaica though.
Many people are mixed with a little bit of something if you go back far enough in ones family tree genealogy LOL. Most people are not pure, but yes, some "pure" people do exist, especially if they are inbred or through incest or long traditions or phenomena of isolation
 
Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Many people are mixed with a little bit of something if you go back far enough in ones family tree genealogy LOL. Most people are not pure, but yes, some "pure" people do exist, especially if they are inbred or through incest or long traditions or phenomena of isolation

I will love to be the fly on the wall when you go to Mississippi and tell the whites there that they are mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top