Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
True. Africans from Africa in North America, seem to be very well-educated to be able to pass all the paperwork and emigration proceduces to come across the Ocean in the modern era.

I've seen stats that continental Africans from Africa have much higher educations and incomes than just regular white americans. I think continental Africans are either just above or just behind Asian emigrants in the income/education levels as the top 2 in the U.S.

I'd imagine that probably applies to Canada as well, although I'm not sure about Canada stats.
True, but it's to be expected. US legal immigration is long, lengthy, and essentially requires you to have an obvious worth to the country. This is why you have Indian, Asians, and Africans in position generating extreme wealth in the country: It's what made the US say "yes!" in the first place.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 AM

149 posts, read 261,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You are absolutely correct. It only makes sense with Brazil's racial history that the Black population would have a much larger racially mixed population compared to the Black population in the US.
not true. brazil has a bigger pure black and mixed black population compared to us. i would even say whites in brazil are blacker than whites in the usa if that makes any sense but latino whites in general are blacker than most white americans who along with white canadians, & whites in falkland islands may be the whitest whitest in the americas.i don really know if we as black american average around 75% black or not and 25% white or not. mainly due to error in testing mixed populations. i dont think the test are reliable when u have a group where one person is 90% black, the next is 20% and the next is 60%. i mean there is no real average. off of phenotype black brazilians appear more african than most american blacks. 2ndly white brazilians appear more african influenced than white americans and the mulato appearance is dominant in brazil.

american mulatos are also quadroons while most black americans are griffes, in between mulatos and africans. also black brazilians due to seem to be more native american influence than most black american. they are not the zambo blacks i see in mexico or central america though.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
not true. brazil has a bigger pure black and mixed black population compared to us. i would even say whites in brazil are blacker than whites in the usa if that makes any sense but latino whites in general are blacker than most white americans who along with white canadians, & whites in falkland islands may be the whitest whitest in the americas.i don really know if we as black american average around 75% black or not and 25% white or not. mainly due to error in testing mixed populations. i dont think the test are reliable when u have a group where one person is 90% black, the next is 20% and the next is 60%. i mean there is no real average. off of phenotype black brazilians appear more african than most american blacks. 2ndly white brazilians appear more african influenced than white americans and the mulato appearance is dominant in brazil.

american mulatos are also quadroons while most black americans are griffes, in between mulatos and africans. also black brazilians due to seem to be more native american influence than most black american. they are not the zambo blacks i see in mexico or central america though.

Sorry man, but there is no such thing as "pure blacks" in Brazil, except for a few thousand recent immigrants from Angola and other African countries.

The 99% of the "black" population of Brazil has no more than 70% of African DNA, at maximum. Most have way less than 70%. Almost every black person in Brazil has NATIVE INDIGENOUS DNA mixed with the African DNA, and most also have some European genes in their DNA.

Maybe you can easily find "pure blacks" in the USA, but not in Brazil.

And it works both ways: you will very hardly find any "pure whites" in Brazil.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Sorry man, but there is no such thing as "pure blacks" in Brazil, except for a few thousand recent immigrants from Angola and other African countries.

The 99% of the "black" population of Brazil has no more than 70% of African DNA, at maximum. Most have way less than 70%. Almost every black person in Brazil has NATIVE INDIGENOUS DNA mixed with the African DNA, and most also have some European genes in their DNA.

Maybe you can easily find "pure blacks" in the USA, but not in Brazil.

And it works both ways: you will very hardly find any "pure whites" in Brazil.
Where are you getting this from? There aren't any "pure Blacks" in Brazil? What about Northeastern Brazil, where most of the people of African descent are concentrated in?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post

Do you have anything to back up this claim? There are plenty of Black Americans with Native American ancestry.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where are you getting this from? There aren't any "pure Blacks" in Brazil? What about Northeastern Brazil, where most of the people of African descent are concentrated in?

Where I'm getting it from?

What about the fact that I am Brazilian, I live in Northeastern Brazil, I studied Brazilian History in a very profound level, and I know the facts about the History of my country?

THERE ARE NO PURE BLACKS IN BRAZIL. PERIOD.

The exception are the few recent immigrants from Angola and other African countries.

The BULK of "Black Brazilians" are MIXED with indigenous natives, and in a lesser extent, with the Portuguese.

By the way, a lot of people in the USA who are considered "pure blacks" are mixed too, but the American society don't like to even think about it. The History of the USA was re-written to hide racial mixing.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Where I'm getting it from?

What about the fact that I am Brazilian, I live in Northeastern Brazil, I studied Brazilian History in a very profound level, and I know the facts about the History of my country?

THERE ARE NO PURE BLACKS IN BRAZIL. PERIOD.

The exception are the few recent immigrants from Angola and other African countries.

The BULK of "Black Brazilians" are MIXED with indigenous natives, and in a lesser extent, with the Portuguese.

By the way, a lot of people in the USA who are considered "pure blacks" are mixed too, but the American society don't like to even think about it. The History of the USA was re-written to hide racial mixing.
I'm African American. So, I know about that, but race is a social construct and it will vary due to factors like history. It isn't to hide racial mixing, which in Brazil was really due to no other choices for Portuguese settlers. With that said, there are many African Americans that are of very high African descent/percentage too. Much of that has to do with living/settlement patterns. People may not know about that either. It still doesn't negate the socio-historical aspects of race in either country.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I'm African American. So, I know about that, but race is a social construct and it will vary due to factors like history. It isn't to hide racial mixing, which in Brazil was really due to no other choices for Portuguese settlers. With that said, there are many African Americans that are of very high African descent/percentage too. Much of that has to do with living/settlement patterns. People may not know about that either. It still doesn't negate the socio-historical aspects of race in either country.

Do you know what were the "quilombos" in Brazil's history?

The quilombos were rural communities started by fugitive black slaves, in the hinterlands of Brazil. The quilombos were "free zones", with communal life.

All Brazilian historians agree that there was a huge influx of native indigenous people to many quilombos, and there was huge racial mixing between Africans and Amerindians there.

Some of the quilombos were later destroyed and many of the "quilombolas" (people who lived in the quilombos) were made slaves. And most of those quilombolas turned into slaves were mixed race people, mixed between Africans and Amerindians.

The quilombos were just one of the many mechanisms of racial mixing in Brazil.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
I don't know if Malaman knows about this, but there is a news article that talks about a DNA study done in Brazil that found that most 'black' Brazilians have a predominance of European genes. In fact, skin color and facial features appear to not even correlate with actual genetic make up (which to me makes sense given the high level of mixture that exist not just in Brazil, but in almost all countries in this hemisphere. With so many possible features a mixed person can inherit, they probably get a random set of features, sometimes giving a more African look or a more European look or maybe even Native look or an even mixed look or maybe a weird mixed look; but regardless of the case, often times the look doesn't really reflects the actual genetic composition of that person.)

What this means, to me at least, is that Brazil is not just overwhelmingly European/Western in culture, political structures, language, religion, architectural, values and outlook, but also genetically and regional "variations" are not as great as people perceive them to be. This is perhaps a legacy of the past when, for example, northeastern Brazil was truly black and southeastern Brazil overwhelmingly white, but it now appears that Brazil has been moving towards a national homogenization in all aspects, including genetics, with the European/Western strains predominating even among those that physically don't look fully European.

A few interesting quotes from the article:

Quote:
A scientific study coordinated by the Federal University of Minas Gerais and which made a genetic scanning of 934 self-categorized White, Brown or Black Brazilians from the four most populous regions of the country, shows that the European ancestry on average is 60%, and can reach 80%, while the Indian input is not higher than 10% and black a few percentage points more.
Quote:
“The surprise and the message from the report is that genetically Brazil is far more homogeneous than expected”, he added.
Quote:
In all regions studied, the European ancestry was predominant, with proportions ranging from 60.6% in the Northeast to 77.7% in the South.
Quote:
These findings, of both clinical and sociological importance for Brazil, should also be relevant to other countries with ancestrally admixed populations.
In spite of racial diversity, European genetic ancestry predominates in Brazil — MercoPress

Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Many Brazilians that fall under the "Pardo" racial category would be considered Black in the United States. There are a lot more people of African decent in Brazil than the U.S.
Exactly. I've heard that Brazilians of African descent are over 50% of the population, and that's a base of about 190+ million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas