U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brazil vs. Colombia? Which would you prefer spending time in?
Brazil 39 52.70%
Colombia 35 47.30%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 AM

15,447 posts, read 33,776,675 times

Advertisements

I assume Brazil will probably win this, as it is the much bigger country. Salvador did win over Cartagena on the other thread as well. However, I might be surprised, so still want to see the results of the poll.

Which country would you prefer to spend more time? Colombia or Brazil?

What always appealed to me about Colombia, is it's always seemed to be the closest to a spanish-speaking version of Brazil. Colombia also does seem to attract it's loyalists as well.

I'd personally go for Brazil myself though. Nontheless, hope to open up the poll and see what the rest of you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 AM

706 posts, read 1,666,090 times
A difference that I perceive is that Brazil is more dominated by a younger demographic, intent on bring Brazil into a more modern world. Colombia, on the other hand, is more traditionalist, with more of an emphasis on preserving the qualities that made Colombia distinctive. Colombia has a pride in what it has been, Brazil more of a pride in what it thinks it can become.

I think I'd rather be a part of Colombia, in that respect.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
A difference that I perceive is that Brazil is more dominated by a younger demographic, intent on bring Brazil into a more modern world. Colombia, on the other hand, is more traditionalist, with more of an emphasis on preserving the qualities that made Colombia distinctive. Colombia has a pride in what it has been, Brazil more of a pride in what it thinks it can become.

That's interesting where you went with your conclusion.

The first paragraph was a selling point for Brazil, in my mind. I've always been amazed at how Brazil seems way out there with ideas...similar to West Coast USA, it seems. I kinda like that.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 AM

497 posts, read 828,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post

Absolutely right. Brazil, for all its fist pumping, is an extremely insecure nation, and has always been out to "prove" itself. It is constantly looking to grown and to better itself, but because it sees itself as nothing, not because it should look for growth.

I can't answer the question, because while I know many things about Brazil, my mind draws frequent blanks on Colombia. Still, the little I've read is absolutely fascinating. The history and culture of that country is so underrated, in part due to Brazil

Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I can't answer the question, because while I know many things about Brazil, my mind draws frequent blanks on Colombia. Still, the little I've read is absolutely fascinating. The history and culture of that country is so underrated, in part due to Brazil

When I was traveling around in South America...it seemed like the biggest party areas were Brazil...than it was people talking about getting to Colombia. Peru had some great partying as well, but everyone I'd met in Peru who'd previously been in Colombia, continously raged on about it.

That being said, I missed experiencing Colombia, but I did experience Venezuela. I did not like Venezuala at all. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, I still associate the possibility that Colombia has the potential to be every bit as sinister as Venezuela seemed.

Brazil, on the other hand, while it has it's social ills, I still absolutely loved it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM

497 posts, read 828,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
When I was traveling around in South America...it seemed like the biggest party areas were Brazil...than it was people talking about getting to Colombia. Peru had some great partying as well, but everyone I'd met in Peru who'd previously been in Colombia, continously raged on about it.

That being said, I missed experiencing Colombia, but I did experience Venezuela. I did not like Venezuala at all. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, I still associate the possibility that Colombia has the potential to be every bit as sinister as Venezuela seemed.

Brazil, on the other hand, while it has it's social ills, I still absolutely loved it.
Venezuela is dangerous and Caracas is a powder keg...unfortunately.

Colombia is a little different, and from what I gather, the two don't like each other all that much, despite being so similar.

I feel bad for Peru. Always overlooked and everyone that I know that went said the people were BUSTED!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 AM

24,683 posts, read 41,719,853 times
Brazil of course. It's obviously way bigger, more interesting culture.etc. Colombia is also more dangerous than Brazil, which is saying a lot.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 AM

16,416 posts, read 24,520,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Brazil of course. It's obviously way bigger, more interesting culture.etc. Colombia is also more dangerous than Brazil, which is saying a lot.

I don't think Colombia is more dangerous than Brasil. If anything the major cities in Brasil are more dangerous for a tourist than Colombia.

Back when I had the choice, I went for Colombia. Colombia is a great country and I really like everything about it from the Vallenato to the Bandeja Paisa to the Aguila beer. I'd go to Brasil in a heartbeat though and it is probably #1 on my bucketlist now. Nothin better than Bossa Nova.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't think Colombia is more dangerous than Brasil. If anything the major cities in Brasil are more dangerous for a tourist than Colombia.

Back when I had the choice, I went for Colombia. Colombia is a great country and I really like everything about it from the Vallenato to the Bandeja Paisa to the Aguila beer. I'd go to Brasil in a heartbeat though and it is probably #1 on my bucketlist now. Nothin better than Bossa Nova.
There is something pretty amazing about listening to Brazilian music, even moreso when in Brazil. I've never quite the same way about various music in Spanish quite the same way.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 AM

25,063 posts, read 21,379,077 times
I'd rather visit Colombia. Brazil, for me, seems vastly overrated. I don't think Brazil, outside of Brasilia, Sao Paolo, and Rio, is as liberal and open as Americans make it out to be. I just don't see that at all. It's like Europeans thinking the US is party central and have only spent time in New York, Miami Beach, or L.A. Crime wise I might get away with being safe on account of that every Latin American friend I' ve had says I look like a light-medium tanned Mexican plus not speaking a single word of Portuguese puts me in a vulnerable position. I only know ola, não, sim and ladrão
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas