U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM

2,254 posts, read 1,885,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
I mean Jamaica is a former British colony yet no one in the United States identifies with it as being 'the same culture as ours.'
That's mostly due to racist reasons. Canada was also a British colony and yet, many people in the US even joke that Canadians are Americans in denial and stuff like that. Of course, the Canadians hate that attitude, they even have commercials reaffirming their Canadianess, if it can be called that.

When it comes to Latin America, its mostly people from the white-majority countries like Argentina, Uruguay and even Chile (yes, I know its mostly mestizo, but they mostly look white and act like it) that have issues with being lumped with countries like Mexico, Peru or Cuba. A similar attitude is seen in Costa Rica too (the whitest of the Central American countries), but their issue is being lumped to the rest of Central America, not so much with Latin America.

Of course all those countries are different, every educated person knows that. But they also have much more similarities among themselves than they do with most countries outside of Latin America and the reason for that is in the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:02 AM

684 posts, read 665,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio84 View Post
it is positive everywhere except in the us and the reason is obvious, the attempt to deny the existence of mixed people, particularly of the white/black mix.

Another word for mulattoes is mestizos, even though americans tend to think that mestizos is reserved for white/amerindian mix; but in reality, mestizo means mixed and it can be used towards any mixed type. Mestizo comes from the world mezclar, which means to mix.

Another typical american trait is seeing a mixed race person and thinking of them as being full blooded non-white. For example, they would see barack obama and despite his phenotype in reality is typical of a mulatto, since americans focus on the african influence in his appearance, they see him as black. In fact, americans often see blacks as blacks and mulattoes as blacks; telling the difference between the two is hard for many americans due to habit.

Outside the us, for the most part things are quite different. Also, in brazil pardo is quite a popular term to refer to mulattoes and that simply means brown.
you hit the nail on the head.

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:13 AM

323 posts, read 271,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It is annoying how many non-white girls just fawn over white guys, as if they're like superhuman species.

I'm not even jealous, I don't even want anyone who generalizes entire races like this.
I know that many Mexican and Asian girls will just about gut their entire family for a date with a white guy, but I don't think that's true for others. Black Americans, despite this ANNOYING stereotype that the media touts, do not se a white person as a prize. That's for those ignorant rappers and sports players, who don't represent the black population anyway. Also, I've noticed many Caribbean people (with the notable exception of Cuba and the Dominican Republic) are also not fawning over white guys.

But yes, I see many non-white girls go absolutely crazy for an average white guy, and just gloss over a gorgeous asian or black guy. Not hating, just saying...

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I know that many Mexican and Asian girls will just about gut their entire family for a date with a white guy...
Not true, Mexican women are not like that, Mexican women marry any type of male regardless of ancestry. On the other hand, I know that Asian females do not like to marry Asian males when living in the U.S. asian males are famous for having a small p____s. That may be a reason.

As for black women, they would marry anything that moves who has straight hair and lighter skin.

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM

10,088 posts, read 6,802,765 times
It's a fine term to use in Louisiana.

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:

You've bought into the Black legend, it's a pity but something that is very prevalent in English speakers (whether European or Black). Sure, conquest was brutal but so was North America's. I've lived in the southern cone and no, there isn't more self-hatred among 'non-whites' in that part of the Americas.

The reason why very light 'mulattoes' and people with a small percentage of Amerindian blood often identify as White is precisely because there is more openness! North Americans (not all individuals so please don't be offended) tended to view even the smallest non-white admixture as somehow polluting, and that is what gave rise to the one-drop rule. Obviously, it makes more practical sense that if you look MAINLY WHITE, you are allowed to identify as such. That's all.

The term mulatto, as how the OP understands it, is supposed to be pretty much neutral in Brazil nowadays. It's just a way to define a person that is just as White as they are Black (hard to choose one when you're equally both!). That is all. It does not mean that "Latin" Blacks hate themselves!

I do not condone the barbarity that was the Spanish conquest of the Amerindians or their subsequent use of Africans as slaves. But neither to I pretend the same didn't happen in North America!

Let me stop you. I am in NO WAY saying slavery wasn't barbaric in North America! Where did I say that or implied that, because that was NEVER my intention, nor is it accurate. What I AM saying is that the slaves in the United States were more "precious" to the whites because they were so much more expensive. Quite honestly, this is common sense. The US is much farther from the slave coasts of Africa than Brazil, Colombia, or Cuba. For this reason, American Blacks were not as expendable or replaceable as their Brazilian or Jamaican relatives, simply du to geography. Slaves were still treated like slaves, OBVIOUSLY, but if you really look at the methods of torture, the level of control, and the conditions within which Latin American slaves livd compared to American Blacks, you will see my position holds true. American slaves were still castrated, raped, FED TO ALLIGATORS, but by and large, they did not die or commit suicide at the insane rates that South American slaves did. One thing to note is that during the slave trade, the American slave population grew, while the Brazilian population remained constant. This is amazing when you consider 35% of Blacks went to Brazil, and only 5% to the US. This illustrates the difference in conditions perfectly.

The southern cone of South America is Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and MAYBE Paraguay and Southern Brazil (really depends on the person). These areas have very, VERY few blacks (the exception being southern Brazil, but even there the black population is minuscule compared to the country at large). How can you compare race relations there to a place like the US, which is much more mixed and heterogenous than Argentina or Uruguay? That makes no sense because they haven't dealt with race relations for Centuries, simply because there was no need to. Take Argentina, for example. Their history was borne of displacing, then killing the few, sparse indigenous that was there in the lands. When they did have blacks (BsAs was 25% black at one time), they sent them to the frontlines of war and did not treat them when they had wounds. Both of these cases systematically destroyed the non-white population of Argentina, making it the white nation it is today. Comparing race relations in Argentina is like asking a French Canadian to teach you Urdu...it makes no sense.

Quote:
The reason why very light 'mulattoes' and people with a small percentage of Amerindian blood often identify as White is precisely because there is more openness!
You're gonna have to explain this further. To an American, this is outright denial of your heritage. For good or bad, the American view of race is (pun intended) black and white. Whites will tell you that they may have Native American in their blood, and Blacks know that they have white heritage, but in American culture, the window for "white" is very narrow, while the non-white window is much more encompassing.

Your idea of "practically white" and an American's view of it will be very different, I assure you. There is no "practically white" in American culture. Look at white Mexicans! People don't see them as "white" but "Latin." Now, I know Latin isn't a race, but in the US, it has a connotation of swarthy, brown, mixed, or just something non-white. It's a little difficult to explain...

Speak to a Dominican. The amount of denial that I have seen from them is mind-boggling. Some of them will go to their graves swearing blind that they are TAINO, MORENO, BLANCO, but for the love of God, not NEGRO. Dios MIO! Maybe the case is different in Colombia, Venezuela, or Cuba, but Brazilians with Black ancestry can be just as bad as their SELF-HATING Dominican brethren. Sickening...

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Not true, Mexican women are not like that, Mexican women marry any type of male regardless of ancestry. On the other hand, I know that Asian females do not like to marry Asian males when living in the U.S. asian males are famous for having a small p____s. That may be a reason.

As for black women, they would marry anything that moves who has straight hair and lighter skin.
*sigh*

I'm not sure which Mexican women you know, but the ones I know only find light mestizos or and whites attractive. ONLY.

I mean, look at a telenovela! Where is the brown girl? In the kitchen, in the laundry room, SOMETHING where she is sexless, dowdy, and not to be taken seriously. Look at mexican stars! There is a definite preference throughout the country. Please, look at the kidnappings in Arizona and in Central America and Mexico. They kidnap/rape the blond hair, blue eyed boy/girl.

Asian females also are told to marry "up." That is to say, marry lighter/white. Asian culture even values white, with people going for eyefold surgery in order to seem less Asian.

The black woman statement is astoundingly ignorant...wow...definitely not true from the Blacks I know and from my OWN FAMILY. Blacks are just attracted to Blacks. Yes, you have some that prefer lighter skin, but you have just as many want "chocolate and not caramel." Black women don't care about the hair texture of their MEN, but their WOMEN.

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM

You are making your posts based on novelas? Haha

Imagine if I make my posts about the usa women based on hollywood movies!!

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
You are making your posts based on novelas? Haha

Imagine if I make my posts about the usa women based on hollywood movies!!
The motive of bringing up novelas was to illustrate the extreme preference in Mexican culture to diminish indigenous phenotypes, and to maximize european ones. Yes, novelas aren't indicative of a country. Neither is Hollywood. Yet in both, you can glimpse a culture. In the US, this means hollywood movies that usually glorify Capitalism, money, and BIG. For Mexico, it is the novelas that illustrate my point.

Unread 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

2,254 posts, read 1,885,547 times
Another point that hasn't been mentioned much is that many African Americans have a tremendous resentment towards white people. More than anywhere else, from the looks of things.

I remember when the first lady, Michelle Obama, said that the first time she ever felt proud of her country was when her husband won the presidency. I was like, WTF? As if there's nothing else in the past to make any American proud?

I have even met quite a few African Americans that told me the reason they have such a affinity for (insert an African country here), is because white people don't rule those places.

I also remember one time I was passing through Harlem on my way to the Upper East Side, while I waited for a red light to turn green, I overheard the conversation of a couple of black men in the van next to my car. They were loud and saying things like "why are all these f*ck white *ssh*les movin' here for" and "d*mn cr*ck*rs" and a bunch of other vulgar words and sayings. All of that happened after a white couple crossed the street in front of us while surrounded by perhaps hundreds of African Americans crossing the same street. Of course, Harlem is currently going through some changes, similar to what happened when it was a Jewish neighborhood and started to become predominantly African American.

And I have been told by a handful of African Americans that they can't wait until white Americans become a minority. That they will get a taste of their own medicine and things like that.

Major resentment issues and I think this also spills towards mixed race people, which is probably why so many African Americans support the ODR and why so many talk about slavery as if it was the other day when it has been over a century since it ended.

The US is the only country that I have been to where I have witnessed racial resentment to this level.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-26-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas