U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,390 times
Default A, B or C ? Argentina, Brazil or Chile for family living ?

Hi There,

We are a family with children about to leave Turkey because of rapid Islamificiation. My friends say Latin Americans enjoy living, friendship, family life, sun, sea, music, good food and I liked all the central and south americans I met so far. So we will make an extensive travel to Latin America soon but this is a huge continent and I need to narrow down my options to a maximum of five cities in two countries.

I will greatly appreciate any locals give me their city/country suggestions based on below criteria.

- People enjoying life and work/money not being the ultimate aim in life
- People enjoying to have roots in where they live and strong family and friendship bonds
- We wish to be citizens, not only legally but also culturally, learn the language, establish roots and live in the same country (and maybe even in the same city) forever. So the culture has to be open to receiving immigrants.
- We'd like a multicultural, tolerant, business-friendly country that has a bright future.
- We want great outdoors, sports friendly geography and ocean

My thinking is Brazil is the best option for us because of its geography, business climate, multiculturality and that it is less European (the superiority complex) than Argentina. Rio looks great as a city but we will also visit Porto Alegre, Buenos Aires and maybe Santiago.

1- Will our small children (he is blonde and she is a red-head) stand out as foreigners and be exposed to danger in Brazil ?
2- I read there are many kidnappings in A & B. Is this true ? We are quite wealthy by European standards but nothing ostentatious, regular down to earth people who like to get dressed nice, enjoy good restaurants and clubs and so on.
3- Is Rio as dangerous as they say ? Do you think Rio will undergo a transformation as New York City did in the 90's and significantly reduce crime.
4- How about Chile ? Does it match what we are looking for ?

Thank you for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 AM

8,682 posts, read 11,607,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicitto View Post
Hi There,

We are a family with children about to leave Turkey because of rapid Islamificiation. My friends say Latin Americans enjoy living, friendship, family life, sun, sea, music, good food and I liked all the central and south americans I met so far. So we will make an extensive travel to Latin America soon but this is a huge continent and I need to narrow down my options to a maximum of five cities in two countries.

I will greatly appreciate any locals give me their city/country suggestions based on below criteria.

- People enjoying life and work/money not being the ultimate aim in life
- People enjoying to have roots in where they live and strong family and friendship bonds
- We wish to be citizens, not only legally but also culturally, learn the language, establish roots and live in the same country (and maybe even in the same city) forever. So the culture has to be open to receiving immigrants.
- We'd like a multicultural, tolerant, business-friendly country that has a bright future.
- We want great outdoors, sports friendly geography and ocean

My thinking is Brazil is the best option for us because of its geography, business climate, multiculturality and that it is less European (the superiority complex) than Argentina. Rio looks great as a city but we will also visit Porto Alegre, Buenos Aires and maybe Santiago.

1- Will our small children (he is blonde and she is a red-head) stand out as foreigners and be exposed to danger in Brazil ?
2- I read there are many kidnappings in A & B. Is this true ? We are quite wealthy by European standards but nothing ostentatious, regular down to earth people who like to get dressed nice, enjoy good restaurants and clubs and so on.
3- Is Rio as dangerous as they say ? Do you think Rio will undergo a transformation as New York City did in the 90's and significantly reduce crime.
4- How about Chile ? Does it match what we are looking for ?

Thank you for your help...

Brazil would be a great choice--based on your criteria/outline. I recommend looking into some other major cities besides Rio for living long-term with your family.

My recommendations:

Curitiba
Porto Alegre
Joinville
Campinas
Brasilia
Goiania
Fortaleza

Other possibilities--

Group 1
Vitoria
Maringa
Itajai
Londrina

Group 2
Aracaju
Maceio
Natal
Joao Pessoa
Florianopolis

*Other posters will chime in with more details and additional recommendations. Listen to them. Especially MalaMan and DginnWonder. I hope this helps some. I may chime in more later after this thread gets going some. Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM

thank you for the suggestions !

Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM

491 posts, read 374,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brazil would be a great choice--based on your criteria/outline. I recommend looking into some other major cities besides Rio for living long-term with your family.

My recommendations:

Curitiba
Porto Alegre
Joinville
Campinas
Brasilia
Goiania
Fortaleza

Other possibilities--

Group 1
Vitoria
Maringa
Itajai
Londrina

Group 2
Aracaju
Maceio
Natal
Joao Pessoa
Florianopolis

*Other posters will chime in with more details and additional recommendations. Listen to them. Especially MalaMan and DginnWonder. I hope this helps some. I may chime in more later after this thread gets going some. Good Luck!
Thanks for the compliment!

Brazil is AWESOME for culture and vibrancy! I can't comment too definitively on Argentina or Chile, but I can say a few things. From what I've been told, the ONLY thing that matters in Argentina is Buenos Aires. I guess that's fine, but Argentina is quite literally an economic mess and is NOT multicultural. The country is extremely homogenous, especially compared to its neighboring countries. What's more, BsAs has a reputation of being racist, as well as pretty much hated throughout the rest of the country (both well-deserved, I assure you).

I would kick Argentina out, especially based on your criteria.

Chile is a quiet wonder. It is growing at a sustainable rate, and is a model for "good" growth in the region. The country is also fairly diverse. Past the mestizo and white population, many asians have set up shop (literally) in the country, adding to the diversity. Also, Chile has been investing a lot of money in itself, allowing it to weather a variety of economic storms with relative ease. The problem with Chile though is after Santiago, that's it. That's fine, I guess, but it makes for a fairly culturally homogenous country. Still, Chile isn't a bad option. Your kids WILL stick out here though, as the country is mixed with indigenous blood, but I haven't heard of any anti-American sentiment in the country (they will be pegged as Americans more than anything else).

Now for Brazil. Here's the honest truth. I don't care what anyone tries to do to minimize it or sugar-coat it, but Brazil is DANGEROUS as all hell. I'm currently in a city in the Northeast. Admittedly, the NE is the poorest, least-advantaged area of the country, but more people are killed here A DAY than in Iraq! The flip-side of it is that the region is incredibly, INCREDIBLY diverse, with mixes you can't imagine. However, because of this, a redhead is especially noticeable as not being from there. Some of Aries' top suggestion are situated in the South, where crime is MUCH, MUCH lower, it is more safe, and is generally viewed as a break from the mess that is the rest of Brazil. The south also offers cultural (NOT racial. I don't know if you're from the US, but the South will SHOCK you as to how homogeneously white it is. No mulattoes, no mestizos, no zambos, just white.) diversity, with influences from Germany, Poland, Russia, Italy, and many other European countries. It is also a well organized area, and your children won't stick out. But Brazil is a mess, and as much as I love the country, I don't think I would want my kids to grow up there, at least for their more formative years. There is simply too much corruption, too little infrastructure, and education.... Brazil is the kind of place I can see myself going to with my kids every summer for 2 months or something, and maybe moving there when they're about to enter or are halfway through high school. It's a wonderful, wonderful country, but...

Your best bet is probably Santiago, Chile. I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend Argentina, and Brazil I would recommend with caution.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM

That was very helpful, I appreciate your response. Indeed after research (UN, world bank etc. stats) Chile appears not only much ahead of its neighbors but surpasses many EU countries, especially in terms of economic freedom. We will visit Santiago to see if the country is as cool as it is on paper.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,636,015 times
I would recommend Chile based on the criteria you gave here.

While Argentina would work as well, unfortunately it has a history of being economically shakey and the government there is not particularly business friendly.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM

134 posts, read 159,192 times
Chile is great for a family; it's very safe and developed. Note, however, Chile is boring compared to Argentina or brazil. But you are a family so I think that's the best. Also remember that although chile is developed by Latin American standards, it's still Latin American so it won't be as developed as western Europe. I have a friend from Vina del Mar and her and her grandmother say bad things about Santiago, I'd look at Valparaiso or Concepcion (smaller cities and less hectic), or even Vina del Mar-it's beautiful.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 AM

28 posts, read 7,336 times
Brasil has become, in recent years very dangerous not to mention Rio and SAMPA are now very expensive cities. The cost to rent a 2/2 Flat in Ipanema, I could rent the same Apartment in Manhattan NY, for maybe even for less. Yes, seriously. if you were a single man I'd say Brasil, somewhere like Floripa. But you being a married guy with kids, I would choose Ecuador! Chile would be my next choice, then Panama or Costa Rica. The DR is cool and cheap but it's dirty with poor infrastucture.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 PM

491 posts, read 374,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLargoGuy View Post
Brasil has become, in recent years very dangerous not to mention Rio and SAMPA are now very expensive cities. The cost to rent a 2/2 Flat in Ipanema, I could rent the same Apartment in Manhattan NY, for maybe even for less. Yes, seriously. if you were a single man I'd say Brasil, somewhere like Floripa. But you being a married guy with kids, I would choose Ecuador! Chile would be my next choice, then Panama or Costa Rica. The DR is cool and cheap but it's dirty with poor infrastucture.
I would never have thought about Ecuador. Can you explain that choice a little more?

And yes, Brazil is pretty interesting and fun when you're single and 35. With kids and married? Yeah...no.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM

782 posts, read 637,333 times
Judging by your criteria, Chile seems the best option.

Pros:
-good infrastructure
-generally, people respect the rules (for example, they don't drive recklessly)
-less corruption
-more organized
-more bussiness-friendly

Cons:
-still a third-world country, with a lot of poverty (I've seen as many homeless people on the streets there as I see here in Buenos Aires)
-not so vibrant
-not so multicultural (I don't agree with Dginn Wonder here)
-if you want sun and beaches, you have them, but mind you: Viña del Mar is not tropical. The waters there are very cool or cold, even in the summer, and this is true in general for the whole Chilean coast (of course, the farther north you go, the less cold it is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
From what I've been told, the ONLY thing that matters in Argentina is Buenos Aires. I guess that's fine, but Argentina is quite literally an economic mess and is NOT multicultural. The country is extremely homogenous, especially compared to its neighboring countries.
Well, Buenos Aires and its metro area concentrates 1/3 of the population of the whole country and is certainly the country's financial, political, and economic hub. That said, I wouldn't say it's the only thing that exists in Argentina. Mendoza is a city with 800,000, at the foot of the Andes and they say it's cleaner and more organized, at least by our standards. And there are tons of places in the rest of Argentina worth mentioning.

BTW, I also don't agree that Argentina is not multicultural. I think it's one of the most multicultural in Latin America, together with Brazil. Perhaps Brazil being more multicultural, but here you have a lot of communities from distant parts of the world who have come even in recent years, despite our messy economy: Chinese, Senegalese, Russians, Ukrainians. And of course, from neighboring countries: Paraguayans, Bolivians, Peruvians, and also some Brazilians, Chileans, Ecuadorians and Colombians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
What's more, BsAs has a reputation of being racist, as well as pretty much hated throughout the rest of the country (both well-deserved, I assure you).
I'll never get tired of argue against this. Yes, there are some racist folks here, and BA people are more or less hated throughout the country, but as a whole BA isn't particularly racist, or isn't more racist than the average city in the world.

I've lived in this city my whole life, and of all the people I've known through the years, the ones who were racist were the exception. I've met way more racist people on the Internet than in real life.

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

Still, I think Chile is the best option for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas