U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM

79 posts, read 338,573 times

Advertisements

Hi All :-),

I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming
of quitting this hard life and move
to some other country,

I d like a country where I can obtain permanent residency
and where I can work ( otherwise I guess
I will get really bored), maybe have a little business,

I like Asia a lot but since i speak fluent spanish
i thought a Latin country would be probably easier..

I am dual citizen Italian and AMerican

I know a country like The Dominican
Republic it's easy to obtain residency but I think it will be hard to get a
job/make money there

any idea?

thank you ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Unless you are planning to retire, have some kind of "work from home" arrangement, start up your own business, teach english, or have some other job already lined up for you, I would not advise just quiting your current job and just move down there.

Anyways each country has different laws regarding foreigners owning property (for example in Mexico foreigners can only lease property in some areas), but I know countless expat Americans who own land in Argentina, Guatemala, and Honduras so it is definately possible. Once you narrow it down to which country you want to relocate to (that is if you decide to relocate), I would take a look at what the laws are regarding property owership.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
I am always amazed that many people think it is a good idea to move somewhere that they have never visited and that a top priority is to buy a house. That should be way, way down the list. Just find a simple little place to rent and get to know an area for a year or so before deciding to live somewhere permanently. See if you can actually make a living in the new location, or if you get tired of the new place. Buying a house is easy, selling a house without taking a big loss is not so easy in these turbulent economic times.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,758,791 times
Look into laws regarding permanent residency, as well.

Definitely a good idea to visit, and stay for more than just a brief visit. Get to know the bureaucracy in whatever country you visit. And look at flight costs in case you want to go back to the States more than once every few years.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM

10,327 posts, read 10,346,714 times
COSTA RICA.Residency through marriage and you can work. PURA VIDA. Gringo real estate is cheap right now.Go live there at least 6 months before buying.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 PM

9,856 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi All :-), I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming of quitting this hard life and move to some other country,

I like Asia a lot but since i speak fluent spanish i thought a Latin country would be probably easier..
I met a number of Artists from NYC in Oaxaca Mexico which is a cultural center in Mexico. They all were artists that sold their material through the internet. But in every case they made significant money that way before they moved to Mexico.

On Mexican Time by Tony Cohan provides the evocative story of an American writer and his wife who found a new home and a new lease of life in the 16th-century hill town of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

San Miguel de Allende was initially a discovery of Americans homes from WWII on GI education bills. They could easily go to school for a decade. It continued to gain in popularity until Tony Cohen moved there in the 1980's. The old home he bought for $85K he probably sold for well over a million. By writing the book, and sharing the dream, he changed the city.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM

974 posts, read 1,828,517 times
There's a book titled: "Retirement Without Borders" which is a pretty good assessment on Expat living. The authors are expats themselves and have lived in different parts of Central and South America. But what's good about their book is that they have interviewed many other expats who are living in different countries and tell the "good, bad and ugly" about expat living.
Do a websearch for a recent edition. BTW, I know a few folks who live abroad and while they like their lifestyles, they made their choices based on doing their "due diligence" by taking many trips to check things out and learn about things they'd need to prepare and adjust for. For example; everyone talks about Costa Rica or Belize as cheap living, but in all honesty those 2 countries are considered quite expensive in many categories. There's other costs to consider outside of cheap rent or housing.
Good luck.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM

398 posts, read 553,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi All :-),

I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming
of quitting this hard life and move
to some other country,

I d like a country where I can obtain permanent residency
and where I can work ( otherwise I guess
I will get really bored), maybe have a little business,

I like Asia a lot but since i speak fluent spanish
i thought a Latin country would be probably easier..

I am dual citizen Italian and AMerican

I know a country like The Dominican
Republic it's easy to obtain residency but I think it will be hard to get a
job/make money there

any idea?

thank you ;-)
I am not an expert on the region but many of my friends and connections I have say costa rica, argentina, chile, equador.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM

22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
In Central and South America there is no place that is both cheap and safe. You will have to choose one or the other.

Safe countries in South America cost more to live in than the USA, as long as you exclude high priced places like NYC and San Francisco. Although, in the good areas of the largest cities, costs are probbaly pretty comparable to the big cities in the USA.

There is no where in Central or South America where is would be impossible to have your assets nationalized. regardless of what those governments are claiming this week.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 PM

5,081 posts, read 9,089,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In Central and South America there is no place that is both cheap and safe. You will have to choose one or the other.

Safe countries in South America cost more to live in than the USA, as long as you exclude high priced places like NYC and San Francisco. Although, in the good areas of the largest cities, costs are probbaly pretty comparable to the big cities in the USA.

There is no where in Central or South America where is would be impossible to have your assets nationalized. regardless of what those governments are claiming this week.
Sorry can't agree with you. Plenty of safe places with low crime rates that are cheaper than the US. The places that are expensive are major cities and beach resorts. The major cities are where the highest crime rate is too.

The point about assets is true, but be smart about it and don't expose too much of your money. Don't put half your money into buying a house, this really applies in the US too. Expats would be smart to keep most of their money either in the US or in an offshore banking market chosen for safekeeping. Don't just mindlessly think because you are moving to a new country you bring everything with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or