U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,891,804 times

Advertisements

American, going to live in the UK for awhile ? this English to American translator may come in handy.
One of the best English to American translations I’ve ever seen… | She's Not From Yorkshire

When something goes wrong and the boss bellows, well that's bloody wonderful,
no it is not wonderful.

Oh, telling a woman she does not look too bad is a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM

25,058 posts, read 23,785,130 times
I've had only 2 isolated incidents where I was misunderstood in Britain and those were 2 words that appeared normal to me but put in a funny context it means something vulgar. Other than that, British English is not difficult to understand at all, the sarcasm was quick to pick up on (hell, why do the subtitles put a (!) next to an obvious sarcastic statement I'll never know). It's about as different as Canadian English. Oh yeah, I survived living there for 6 months

Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 AM

326 posts, read 846,022 times
Something homely in Britain means it's nice, comfy, familiar. In the U.S. homely means plain or bordering on ugly. That's one of the words I was always misinterpreting.
Also, I had a friend from Wales come visit me in the U.S. and we took a trip to Memphis. We went to a restaurant where he couldn't understand the server and she couldn't understand him. So, I became the English to English translator.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM

2,393 posts, read 3,026,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Something homely in Britain means it's nice, comfy, familiar.
= homey.

When talking sports in Australia I learned not to talk about what teams i "root" for.

My australian friends learned to stop asking me if it was OK to wear "thongs", eg, "Would it be OK if we wore thongs to the restaurant?"

Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 AM

327 posts, read 882,489 times
Comparison of American and British English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a pretty good article. There are more differences than you think, particularly regarding the grammar - but people do not realise they are there as they do not generally impede communication; eg:

AmE: Did you eat?
BrE: Have you eaten?

No-one in Britain has a problem understanding American English, we have so much exposure to it on TV and through films, the terms are all second nature. To be honest the differences between various regional dialects of Britain are far greater than between standard AmE and standard BrE.

There are a couple of slip ups to be aware of though, two of the biggest I can think of are saying you're "pissed", which in AmE means you're angry, but in BrE means you're completely drunk. Also watch out for the term "***", which is a highly offensive term for a gay person in the US (the BrE equivalent would be a "poof"), but merely a harmless slang term for a cigarette in Britain.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,508,005 times
"When you have nothing on, come around and knock me up sometime" is bound to get an American guys attention when spoken by an English woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or