U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM

47 posts, read 57,909 times

Advertisements

Can someone attempt to very loosely draw similarities between neighborhoods in Buenos Aires and neighborhoods in New York for me? I was once told that was IMPOSSIBLE to do for New York and Montreal and then went there myself and realised that it was completely possible to do you just had to be able to compare with perspective. It might be helpful if you've been to both cities in the past 5 years.

Anyway, it's just a way I use to tak to people about a city, I find one they can relate to. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Gracias!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM

I found this, so similar opinions would be great.
Thanks!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:11 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,430,018 times
well, unfortunately, i never been to NYC, but i do live in BA and could tell you how the city is.

I think the comparison between BA and NYC is flattering for BA, cause for what i ve seen in pictures/movies, NYC is a gorgeous city, more gorgeous than BA as far as i can say. However, BA is a city with its own vibe, a huge cultural movement, an incredible nightlife, and full of people of everywhere in the world, and I can say its similar to NYC in those things.

If you want, i can tell you what the trendy neighbourhoods are and thei identity and maybe you can do the comparison with NY?
cause i really dont know much about NY to be able to compare it with BA neighbourhoods.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM

211 posts, read 478,606 times
^BA looks plenty beautiful! You don't give your own capital enough credit .

Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,220 times
I though Beunos Aires had more in common with Paris or Madrid?!?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM

I always get this when I ask about two cities. People can't seem to see beyond the obvious superficial characteristics. I'm not claiming at all that New York and Buenos Aires are similar. I am simply asking for EQUIVALENTS. All things considered, what areas in one are like what areas in the other? They don't have to be equal, they just have to representative of a similar feel, atmosphere, or cultural significance. It can be done with any two cities.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,188,196 times
Buenos Aires has more in common with Paris, Barcelona, and Madrid then it does with New York as far as overall feel is concerned however you have neighborhoods such as Puerto Madero, Palermo, and Recoleta which are very similar to Battery Park City, Greenwich Village/Soho, and the Upper East Side respectively as far as neighborhood vibes are concerned.

Also given that Buenos Aires is the economic/political/cultural hub for Argentina, there is a similar overall vibe in that the best and brightest from Argentina tend to migrate there which is very similar to New York in that aspect.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 AM

327 posts, read 863,592 times
US cities and their UK equivalents?

If you look here I've done a similar thing for London/New York and for London/Paris. Would be interesting to see one for BsAs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas