U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Jamaicans are often presented as easy-going, dread-locked, ganja-smoking, and laid back, but Jamaica also has one of the highest violent crime rates in the Western Hemisphere. In recent years, it has attained a reputation for street-violence, not only between gangs but occasionally spilling over towards general crime against the public including tourists.

I find this contradiction/dichotomy between the idealised image of the laid back, 'everything's cool' rasta and the violent street thug, portrayed in films such as 'The Harder They Come' as quite interesting. I've heard Jamaica is still a deeply religious nation, where homosexuals often fear for their life. Is this 'easy-going' persona more of a screen, or do most Jamaicans try not to espouse violence and distance themselves from the gangs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,561,800 times
Yeah Jamaican is my nationality so Jamaica is like any other third world country you have pele up too no good and people who work hard to get the heck out of there and in Jamaica its usually sexually active guys on the corner tempting and dirty talking every girl to have sex with them so its not the best place.oh and the stereotype that every Jamaican is a colorful person smoking something every two seconds is wrong.Jamaica has its bad parts and its good parts the worst part is Tivoli Gardens the best part is near ocho Rios resort (u should visit sometime ).

Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 AM

8,617 posts, read 19,042,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Jamaicans are often presented as easy-going, dread-locked, ganja-smoking, and laid back, but Jamaica also has one of the highest violent crime rates in the Western Hemisphere. In recent years, it has attained a reputation for street-violence, not only between gangs but occasionally spilling over towards general crime against the public including tourists.

I find this contradiction/dichotomy between the idealised image of the laid back, 'everything's cool' rasta and the violent street thug, portrayed in films such as 'The Harder They Come' as quite interesting. I've heard Jamaica is still a deeply religious nation, where homosexuals often fear for their life. Is this 'easy-going' persona more of a screen, or do most Jamaicans try not to espouse violence and distance themselves from the gangs?

Most Jcan's do not involve themselves in such foolishness. Not all smoke ganja ( hate that perception) not all have dreads, and not all are rastas. Tourists think that ganja is legal in JA, it's not.

I've been a part of this culture for over 26 yrs and I guess it depends on who you surround yourself with. Most of our friends are like us, upper middle class business owners who do their thing and mind their own business. You can make a very nice living for yourself ( the legal way!) if you know how to run a business.

JA is very laid back and easy going, it's just the way it is. Nothing moves fast in JA except for the crazy ass taxi drivers. It took me awhile to get used to how slow things move, but there are times you just want to pull your hair out. It also took awhile to get used to having a security guard at my yard, bars on my doors and windows and fences with razor wire....now it's just second nature and a part of life.

There are those out there who are always looking for the easy way out, always looking for the easy buck, the easy target, but you'll find that just about anywhere in this world where you have hunger and unemployment and youth with nothing better to do.

Despite all it's issues, I love that island. Inside and out, good and bad, rich or poor, it's the people that matter.....and it's the people that really make the difference.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,561,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Most Jcan's do not involve themselves in such foolishness. Not all smoke ganja ( hate that perception) not all have dreads, and not all are rastas. Tourists think that ganja is legal in JA, it's not.

I've been a part of this culture for over 26 yrs and I guess it depends on who you surround yourself with. Most of our friends are like us, upper middle class business owners who do their thing and mind their own business. You can make a very nice living for yourself ( the legal way!) if you know how to run a business.

JA is very laid back and easy going, it's just the way it is. Nothing moves fast in JA except for the crazy ass taxi drivers. It took me awhile to get used to how slow things move, but there are times you just want to pull your hair out. It also took awhile to get used to having a security guard at my yard, bars on my doors and windows and fences with razor wire....now it's just second nature and a part of life.

There are those out there who are always looking for the easy way out, always looking for the easy buck, the easy target, but you'll find that just about anywhere in this world where you have hunger and unemployment and youth with nothing better to do.

Despite all it's issues, I love that island. Inside and out, good and bad, rich or poor, it's the people that matter.....and it's the people that really make the difference.
Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas