U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM

774 posts, read 1,274,798 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a 3-6 mo extended vacation in Latin America. Are there any cheap and fun places to visit there that are safe for a gringo? Or is safety proportional to how wealthy, and therefore expensive, a place is?

Last edited by max.b; 09-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: I'm a moron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,186,566 times
As someone who has travelled to five different countries in Latin America so far (including Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras) I must say that realistically speaking most places in Latin America are as safe as the US regarding personal safety, the most crime you have to watch out for in Latin America are crimes of opportunity such as pickpocketing, theft, etc. Generally speaking as long as you have a basic level of street smarts, you should not have a problem in virtually any city in Latin America.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
As someone who has travelled to five different countries in Latin America so far (including Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras) I must say that realistically speaking most places in Latin America are as safe as the US regarding personal safety, the most crime you have to watch out for in Latin America are crimes of opportunity such as pickpocketing, theft, etc. Generally speaking as long as you have a basic level of street smarts, you should not have a problem in virtually any city in Latin America.
How do you evaluate a country's murder rate while you are there? I'm still alive, therefore, murders are nothing to worry about?

According to Wikipedia, Honduras has a 40x higher murder rate than San Diego (where I live). However, what I really want to know is whether I should be worried about being targeted because I'm not Hispanic, and being tortured for my ATM PIN number or whatnot.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,749,799 times
The not PC answer, from what many have told me, is that there is one sunny Latin American destination with great beaches, cute resorts, friendly people and very low street crime that's also cheap...Cuba.

I'm bracing myself for a slew of curses, but it's true. Just go to Jamaica and get a connector flight to Cuba and ask the guy at Cuban customs not to stamp your passport. Cubans want Americans there. As for the politics, yes, Castro is a prick, but he is a BUNNY RABBIT compared to those bastards in China or Saudi Arabia, and no one would flip out about someone visiting China.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
How do you evaluate a country's murder rate while you are there? I'm still alive, therefore, murders are nothing to worry about?

According to Wikipedia, Honduras has a 40x higher murder rate than San Diego (where I live). However, what I really want to know is whether I should be worried about being targeted because I'm not Hispanic, and being tortured for my ATM PIN number or whatnot.
While the murder rate might seem high from a distance, if you look closer you will notice that in nearly all cases the victim knew the perpetrator, just like in the US. Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras have had huge problems with gang activity such as 18th Street and MS-13, however the gangs mostly just kill each other so the average tourist does not really have anything to worry about unless they were themselves involved in illegal activities (besides most gang activity takes place in areas where the average tourist has no real business being in anyways, no different then say East Los Angeles or Compton).

There are literally thousands of American, Canadian, Austrailian, European, and Israeli tourists/expats who visit not to mention live in places like Colombia, Guatemala, and Honduras, and for nearly all of those visitors/expats most have had a positive experience overall. Anyways my main point is that you should not just write off entire countries just because you determine it to be unsafe, instead focus on what you are interested in visiting (ie colonial cities, beaches, mayan ruins, etc) in the first place and take it from there.

Last edited by diablo234; 09-06-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM

271 posts, read 460,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The not PC answer, from what many have told me, is that there is one sunny Latin American destination with great beaches, cute resorts, friendly people and very low street crime that's also cheap...Cuba.

I'm bracing myself for a slew of curses, but it's true. Just go to Jamaica and get a connector flight to Cuba and ask the guy at Cuban customs not to stamp your passport. Cubans want Americans there. As for the politics, yes, Castro is a prick, but he is a BUNNY RABBIT compared to those bastards in China or Saudi Arabia, and no one would flip out about someone visiting China.

Just a correction, Cuban officials won't stamp passports unless asked (typically as a memento) nor do they have the equipment to scan them. They give you a tourist visa that you have to return when you leave. They're curious about Americans there (Cuba has no restrictions on Americans entering... all restrictions are on the US side) and cheap flights are also available from major Canadian and Mexican cities. Extremely safe tourist destination with crimes against tourists carrying heavy penalties. There are scammers and touts, but if you're frightened (you probably won't be), just scream for the cops and those bothering you will take off like they saw a ghost.

Last edited by illcosby; 09-07-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I found an earlier thread on this subject: Latin America's safest large cities

The consensus seems to be that virtually all of Latin America is unsafe for tourists, except perhaps Cuba. I won't go to Cuba though, but thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:

The consensus seems to be that virtually all of Latin America is unsafe for tourists, except perhaps Cuba. I won't go to Cuba though, but thanks for the suggestion.
Most of those people probably have not even been outside the US let alone Latin America.

If you want a more honest opinion from people who have actually travelled to the region I would recomend these websites.

Americas - South America - Lonely Planet travel forum

Americas - Central America - Lonely Planet travel forum

Frommers.com Forums

Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,623,943 times
Quote:

I have been to about 5 different Latin American countries and they all felt safe. As safe as I felt here in the U.S. just like in the U.S, as long as you stay away from the bad parts, you will be totally fine.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Why is everyone so transfixed with fear? Every city and resort in Latin America has dangerous districts, just like in the USA. It's easy to figure out where they are, especially if you are sober. Just avoid them, and don't drink with strangers.

It's Cheap everywhere, and I doubt if you and I would put Fun within the same parameters.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-09-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or