Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was born in Brazil, raised in the USA and Aries is absolutely correct. Brazilians have a tendency to always overstate, exaggerate and most importantly, to live in denial- try having a conversation with an average Brazilian about the current situation of the country- everything is always great and perfect and if you criticize Brazil, they get very defensive.
You said everything:

You were raised in the USA.

You weren't raised in Brazil.

The last time you were in Brazil was probably more than 20 years ago.

Why do you think you understand more about the current situation of Brazil than those who were raised here, and live here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Why do you think you understand more about the current situation of Brazil than those who were raised here, and live here?
I have lived in Brazil, the USA and Germany, I know the 3 cultures very well, and they all have good and bad things. I don't really get offended when people criticize Brazil, the USA or Germany because I am not emotionally attached to any of these places.

I live in the USA because this is the place where I feel more comfortable in right now, If had a chance to go back to Germany, I would not hesitate because it is a great country. Going back to Brazil at least for me, would be like taking a step backwards(No offense).

I wish Brazilians were more like Germans, it does not matter how good the country is, they are always complaining, they always want more and they always have this pessimistic view of their country and the future.

Brazilians on the other hand have a very inflated, unrealistic, and super optimistic view of the present and the future. In my opinion, it is a culture that delivers very little in terms of "real results".

German culture is the absolute opposite of Brazilian culture but it is a culture that I really respect!

Last edited by Repubocrat; 09-18-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
I was born in Brazil, raised in the USA and Aries is absolutely correct. Brazilians have a tendency to always overstate, exaggerate and most importantly, to live in denial- try having a conversation with an average Brazilian about the current situation of the country- everything is always great and perfect and if you criticize Brazil, they get very defensive.

Amen. Exactly this.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry man, but here in Fortaleza, where I live, I guess that for every 8 families, at least one have a "casa de praia" (beach house) in one of the beachs in the East Coast or the West Coast of the state of Ceara. Not necessarily a big house, I'm including small apartments in the beach of Icaraí, in Caucaia, in this statistic.

There is really nothing very special about that family from Porto Alegre. I mean... Their kids have a Playstation 2! Come on! Any home in any favela has a Playstation 2! I know people in favelas who have XBox. And what about having just two televisions, and just one of them being over 40 inches in size? Give me a break! 42 inch TV's are easy to find in favelas! Middle class families in Brazil have at least two TV's over 40 inches in size...

You are familiar with Brazil? Great. But I have lived in Brazil for my entire life, more than 3 decades, and I still live here.

I would not be surprised if 1 out of every 8 families in "your world/class" had a casa de praia--but that is definitely not the case for the super-super-majority of Brazil that is the "povao."

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I would not be surprised if 1 out of every 8 families in "your world/class" had a casa de praia--but that is definitely not the case for the super-super-majority of Brazil that is the "povao."

I know the "povão" VERY WELL.

I had more than one girlfriend who lived in the "periferia".

So, I know it very well. Much more than the scholars and antropologists who THINK they know the "periferia" just because they go there once in a while to do academic research. I know it from everyday life.

I know the reality of the city where I live very well, and all that I'm telling here is simply the REALITY, as opposed to the guesses of those who don't actually know it.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,373 times
Malaman reminds me a lot of another CD user by the name of BRAZILIAN- always overstating and exaggerating- these people make Brazil sound like Heaven on Earth- and who is to disagree with their views? After all they have lived in Brazil their entire lives- Biased views? Not a chance!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I know the "povão" VERY WELL.

I had more than one girlfriend who lived in the "periferia".

So, I know it very well. Much more than the scholars and antropologists who THINK they know the "periferia" just because they go there once in a while to do academic research. I know it from everyday life.

I know the reality of the city where I live very well, and all that I'm telling here is simply the REALITY, as opposed to the guesses of those who don't actually know it.

Ok.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Malaman reminds me a lot of another CD user by the name of BRAZILIAN- always overstating and exaggerating- these people make Brazil sound like Heaven on Earth- and who is to disagree with their views? After all they have lived in Brazil their entire lives- Biased views? Not a chance!

Sorry for you if you don't live on Heaven on Earth.

I do.

Sorry for that.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 899 times
I totally agree with Malaman, Of course its a middle class(C class) family. People of the upper middle class(B class) would have at least 2 cars or just 1 very good car like Jeep, Civic or Freemont, class B people travel to Buenos Aires, Europe or Disney with some frequency, they playstation 3 or 4, they have at least two bathrooms and 95% of them are white or mixeds with high european component.

I would the class C family of the Text represent 40% of the people in Southern/Southeast Brazil and 15% in Northeast Brazil.

The class B families like I described would be 20% of the Souther/Southeast and 10% of the Northeast.

The riches(class A) would be 15% in the Southern partes and 8% in the Northern parts.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times
Quote:
They are a part of the super-upper-middle-class.
Quote:
Roughly the top 5%.
In an 100 square metter apartment?!!!

Not even in Amazon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas