Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting map with all the American cities with Metros. I was surprised to know that there are 18 Metros in Latin America, soon it will be 19 once the Metro in Panama City is completed.

The red dots are cities with heavy rail Metros, while the blue dots have light rail systems.

UrbanRail.Net > North & South American Subway and Light Rail Systems

Which Metro(s) have you used?

Which one do you think is the nicest one?

Which one did you expect the most from, but was disappointing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Videos of a few Metros:

NEW YORK

TORONTO

MEXICO CITY

SANTO DOMINGO

SAN JUAN

CARACAS

LIMA

SAO PAULO

BUENOS AIRES

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Only used Buenos Aires

Is great to get to places fast, actually. But its waay to hot down there, it need some kind of A/C. In summer it gets to be like 200f there.

But other than that, its a very practical metro. Though it can get INSANELY crowded in rush hours, but, oh well, at least you get off fast.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I've used:

The Metro in LA. Clean, new and easy to use but far too few lines and well, LA is still a low density sprawl. With the expansion it should take you to a lot more places. I do like the underground stations, how they're designed and how safe they feel.

San Diego light rail: I only took it from Downtown to Old Town. There aren't many lines in SD. Pretty decent.

Memphis light rail: Kind of scary to take it late at night when there's hardly anyone on there. The conductor was quite cool, though. Only really a few lines in the inner areas.

New Orleans streetcar: More a 'tourist experience' than anything else.

New York Subway: What can I say? It's old, dirty, and hot as hell in summer down in the subway stations, and the tracks are full of rubbish and water. Also saw rats. But it wouldn't be the NYC subway any other way. Amazing number of lines and stations and is 24/7.

Boston T: The oldest subway in the Americas. Smaller and less extensive than NY but more comfortable and very easy to use. For a subway the stations are very spacious, the trains are a tad old but they seem to run smoothly.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
In the Americas, I've been to two: Buenos Aires and Santiago.

BA: Agree with Sophie, and I'd add that because the network is very old (in fact, it was the first in Latin America, and the first in any Spanish-speaking country, because it was opened previous to Spain), the 6 lines of BA are quite different from each other, from the very old (Line A) which is the oldest (opened in 1913), and which still runs with 1913 cars! (yes, you feel like you're in a museum when you travel in this line), to Line D, which runs with reasonably modern cars. Also, Line H, the newest one (opened in 2007) runs with cars from 1936!!!!
The network also has a light rail line called "Premetro", which is generally ok for me, although it runs through the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city (southwest). The other lines (which are not light rail) are quite safe still I think.

Santiago: Well, in this case I had the opportunity to be there twice: one in 1992 and the other in 2007. And I saw the changes. In 1992, the network consisted of just 2 lines which intersected at the city center. The total length was a bit less than BA at that time. In 2007, Santiago had 5 lines and total length is almost double that of BA! (even though BA also expanded the network though way more slowly).
Santiago's metro is very modern, clean in general and the stations are very beautiful. And some of the lines have elevated sections, which for me was something new, because in BA, all metro lines are underground (the light rail goes at grade level).
Traveling on the elevated sections of the Santiago metro was a unique experience, especially because you could see large parts of the city from there and also the magnificent Andes mountain range!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
In the Americas, I've been to two: Buenos Aires and Santiago.

BA: Agree with Sophie, and I'd add that because the network is very old (in fact, it was the first in Latin America, and the first in any Spanish-speaking country, because it was opened previous to Spain), the 6 lines of BA are quite different from each other, from the very old (Line A) which is the oldest (opened in 1913), and which still runs with 1913 cars! (yes, you feel like you're in a museum when you travel in this line), to Line D, which runs with reasonably modern cars. Also, Line H, the newest one (opened in 2007) runs with cars from 1936!!!!
The network also has a light rail line called "Premetro", which is generally ok for me, although it runs through the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city (southwest). The other lines (which are not light rail) are quite safe still I think.

Santiago: Well, in this case I had the opportunity to be there twice: one in 1992 and the other in 2007. And I saw the changes. In 1992, the network consisted of just 2 lines which intersected at the city center. The total length was a bit less than BA at that time. In 2007, Santiago had 5 lines and total length is almost double that of BA! (even though BA also expanded the network though way more slowly).
Santiago's metro is very modern, clean in general and the stations are very beautiful. And some of the lines have elevated sections, which for me was something new, because in BA, all metro lines are underground (the light rail goes at grade level).
Traveling on the elevated sections of the Santiago metro was a unique experience, especially because you could see large parts of the city from there and also the magnificent Andes mountain range!

wow, the santiago metro sounds as its awesome!

And i didnt know that H had cars from 1936, lol!

The one i use the most in the BA metro (B) is the worst. That, and the C one. Too hot and dirty, and the waiting room in the B line is really narrow!!! Line B sucks!!

Best one is A...i love those old cars!! Plus, is always way better ventilated and cool!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
I have used the one in Detroit, Chicago, and Guadalarja (not sure on spelling)

Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
It has an error, Vancouver does not have heavy rail, it has elevated and underground grade separated light rail that is similar in heaviness to Seattle which is coloured blue. The differences with Vancouver's is just that it's very extensive, is automated instead of having drivers, and it's fully grade separated. Also, i'm not sure, but I think that San Juan also only has a light rail system. Perhaps when they say heavy rail they just mean fully grade separated?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
I didn't think Detroit's People Mover would have been considered a Metro or light rail. In terms of efficiency it doesn't really connect much area; it's just a small loop in the CBD so it's often mocked as a "train to nowhere". It does offer pretty nice views over the streetscape though and tourists find it useful.

Detroit People Mover, 01-04-2011 - YouTube

Detroit People Mover (Inside View) - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,751 times
I've used the metro in

Los Angeles
San Francisco
New York
Mexico city

The best, most efficient, cheap and punctual metro I've ever been on was in Mexico city .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas