U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times

Advertisements

I am travelling to South America this Nov, and for some reason, I will have a stopover in Santiago for about 7 hours.

So instead of waiting at the airport for 7 hours, I decide to take a short tour to the city. I was wondering, besides taking a taxi, what's the easiest and fastest way to get to the center? How long does it take? I will be arriving at noon and leaving for Punta Arenas at about 7pm. If I do take the taxi to save time, how much does it cost?

Additionally, given the time constraints considering traveling time from and back to the airport, I probably will only have 3 for some quick sightseeing. What do you recommend to see? Are they spread out or concentrated in the core? Maybe I should hop on a tour bus just to get an overview?

Is it possible to leave my luggage at the airport?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,043,251 times
I don't have the answers you're looking for. I'm simply here to say that you can get a preview of what awaits you in Santiago, if you decide to venture out.

Santiago, Chile - Google Maps

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-30-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,638,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am travelling to South America this Nov, and for some reason, I will have a stopover in Santiago for about 7 hours.

So instead of waiting at the airport for 7 hours, I decide to take a short tour to the city. I was wondering, besides taking a taxi, what's the easiest and fastest way to get to the center? How long does it take? I will be arriving at noon and leaving for Punta Arenas at about 7pm. If I do take the taxi to save time, how much does it cost?

Additionally, given the time constraints considering traveling time from and back to the airport, I probably will only have 3 for some quick sightseeing. What do you recommend to see? Are they spread out or concentrated in the core? Maybe I should hop on a tour bus just to get an overview?

Is it possible to leave my luggage at the airport?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
First and foremost, deduct the hours to leave the airport and return to the airport. Unfortunately, there is no metro into the airport. I have not seen a luggage check. Also, there are shuttle vans to the center which are much less expensive than taxis, who aggressively court you.

It is fairly concentrated. It mostly lies along a boulevard named O'Higgins, of all things. There is LaMoneda, the universities, and Cerro Santa Lucia. The cathedral and a big market are not far from this main drag, more or less in the center, and one can walk to them. The metro runs underneath O'Higgins. The best thing in Santiago is the climb to Cerro San Cristobal with a statue of the Virgin Mary from which you can see the entire city, the Andes ... and the smog. But Cerro San Cristobal is in another neighborhood called Providencia/Las Condes, and you will burn through 2.5 hours just to do extra schlep to its neighborhood, plus the climb, enjoying the view, and the descent.

If you risk misconnecting, skip Santiago de Chile. It's nice, but not especially compelling.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
First and foremost, deduct the hours to leave the airport and return to the airport. Unfortunately, there is no metro into the airport. I have not seen a luggage check. Also, there are shuttle vans to the center which are much less expensive than taxis, who aggressively court you.

It is fairly concentrated. It mostly lies along a boulevard named O'Higgins, of all things. There is LaMoneda, the universities, and Cerro Santa Lucia. The cathedral and a big market are not far from this main drag, more or less in the center, and one can walk to them. The metro runs underneath O'Higgins. The best thing in Santiago is the climb to Cerro San Cristobal with a statue of the Virgin Mary from which you can see the entire city, the Andes ... and the smog. But Cerro San Cristobal is in another neighborhood called Providencia/Las Condes, and you will burn through 2.5 hours just to do extra schlep to its neighborhood, plus the climb, enjoying the view, and the descent.

If you risk misconnecting, skip Santiago de Chile. It's nice, but not especially compelling.
thanks. that's very helpful.

I didn't plan to visit Santiago, but the flight has been changed and I will end up spending 7 hours at the airport, which will be extremely boring.

I deduct 1 hour from getting to the center and 2 hours from getting back and checking in again. So I will probably still have 3.5-4 hours to spend in the city. Better than sitting on an airport chair for 7 hours I guess. I will check out the places you mentioned.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,638,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
thanks. that's very helpful.

I didn't plan to visit Santiago, but the flight has been changed and I will end up spending 7 hours at the airport, which will be extremely boring.

I deduct 1 hour from getting to the center and 2 hours from getting back and checking in again. So I will probably still have 3.5-4 hours to spend in the city. Better than sitting on an airport chair for 7 hours I guess. I will check out the places you mentioned.
Run, run, run ... probably Cerro San Cristobal first because it's so high up and has a kick-ass view, and then la Moneda, and then the Cathedral/Market square. Pass on Cerro Santa Lucia if you see Cerro San Cristobal.

Also, find out if the city bus station, from where you catch buses to Vina del Mar and Valparaiso, offers plain old bus service to the airport. It is near La Moneda and the civic buildings. The Metro also serves the bus station, IIR. The Metro runs every 4 or 5 minutes, it seems. Also, it is unmistakably very Latin American. The feel of the Metro (el subte) in Buenos Aires feels more like being in Europe.

Have fun, and catch your plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas