U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the city which will be the best in 2032:
Rio de Janeiro 4 36.36%
Buenos Aires 5 45.45%
Sao Paulo 6 54.55%
Santiago 2 18.18%
Mexico City 3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times

Advertisements

Based on how these 4 cities are currently developing and are projected to develop, which do you think will likely be the best one in 20 years? The criteria are:

Economy/GDP per capita
Public transportation
COL/Affordability
Tourist attractions
Global rank
Modern amenities
Cleanliness
Walkability

Which city will be the best for retirement especially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,513,384 times
Buenos Aires.

Sao Paulo and Mexico City are already too big and have too many social problems. So does Rio but, for its incredible beauty, people will overlook that. I'll overlook that, but I don't ever see it becoming the economic hub of Brazil.

Santiago was the de facto city, and country (Chile), to look at between 2000 and 2010 in South America. I think they still have their act together, but I think Buenos Aires has bounced back. I saw it first in 2003 when it was in bad shape economically, though I couldn't tell that from what I saw except for some sidewalks in shabby shape, and I saw it again in 2005, when there were cranes up for new buildings. Santiago has a very bad air pollution problem, and the fact that the Andes plummet down to hem in the city does not help that. I think Santiago will be right behind Buenos Aires, though.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
The leading cities in Latin America are the following (in order of importance for the global economy/global influence):

Sao Paulo (Brazil)
Mexico City (Mexico)
Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Santiago (Chile)
Bogota (Colombia)
Caracas (Venezuela)
Lima (Peru)
Montevideo (Uruguay)
Monterrey (Mexico)
Panama City (Panama)
San Juan (Puerto Rico)
Guatemala City (Guatemala)
San Jose (Costa Rica)
Guadalajara (Mexico)
Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
San Salvador (El Salvador)
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
Tegucigalpa (Honduras)
Guayaquil (Ecuador)
Curitiba (Brazil)

These Latin American cities were classified as Alpha, Alpha -, Beta +, Beta, Beta -, Gamma +, Gamma, and Gamma -.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 AM

10 posts, read 27,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
The leading cities in Latin America are the following (in order of importance for the global economy/global influence):

Sao Paulo (Brazil)
Mexico City (Mexico)
Buenos Aires (Argentina)
Santiago (Chile)
Bogota (Colombia)
Caracas (Venezuela)
Lima (Peru)
Montevideo (Uruguay)
Monterrey (Mexico)
Panama City (Panama)
San Juan (Puerto Rico)
Guatemala City (Guatemala)
San Jose (Costa Rica)
Guadalajara (Mexico)
Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
San Salvador (El Salvador)
Porto Alegre (Brazil)
Tegucigalpa (Honduras)
Guayaquil (Ecuador)
Curitiba (Brazil)

These Latin American cities were classified as Alpha, Alpha -, Beta +, Beta, Beta -, Gamma +, Gamma, and Gamma -.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010
You forgot Rio on that list......

Answering the OP, the cities you mentioned are the top 5 richest cities in Latin America (I assume that's why you chose them), so they're likely to be considerably better 20 years from now. Mexico City, Buenos Aires and Santiago are all capitals, so they have an edge there, since they basically overshadow the rest of the cities in their countries and get more investments and growth, just like London or Paris. Still, I think it's quite hard to excel in all of the criteria you chose, so I have to agree with robertpolyglot when he says Rio, SP and MC are too big with too many problems that won't go away that easily....BA and Santiago have problems too, but considering everything, I think they balance it all a little bit better, and seeing you mentioned retirement, I think one of these two would be the best bet.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 AM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Based on how these 4 cities are currently developing and are projected to develop, which do you think will likely be the best one in 20 years? The criteria are:

Economy/GDP per capita
Public transportation
COL/Affordability
Tourist attractions
Global rank
Modern amenities
Cleanliness
Walkability

Which city will be the best for retirement especially?
For your criteria, especially in terms of tourist attractions, amenities and scenery (both natural or otherwise), I'd say Bueno Aires and Rio de Janeiro.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,513,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For your criteria, especially in terms of tourist attractions, amenities and scenery (both natural or otherwise), I'd say Bueno Aires and Rio de Janeiro.
Yes. While very different, these TWO are far and away the most interesting cities in South America.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 AM

196 posts, read 344,534 times
I think São Paulo will be the star among asteroids.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 PM

1,237 posts, read 922,588 times
I believe São Paulo will still be the richest, but the best will be Santiago!!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM

854 posts, read 757,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I believe São Paulo will still be the richest, but the best will be Santiago!!
Pretty much the way it already is, so not much will change. I'll add that Rio will still be the cidade maravilosa, Buenos Aires as european and charming as ever, Caracas may bounce back but it'll be overshadow by Lima and Bogota while MC... well Mexico City will continue to be its own Sui Generis surreal thing.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 PM

1,237 posts, read 922,588 times
Bogota can be a surprise, today its airport is busier than all Rio airports together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas