U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,915 times

Advertisements

I've done extensive travel throughout Brazil and I've noticed that even the smallest brazilian towns have a significant number of high rises. Can anyone explain that phenomenon?

And it's not restricted to a certain part of Brazil either. Even small towns in the northeast have a significant number of high rises... certainly not skyscrapers, but it's not uncommon in small Brazilian towns to have several 10+ story buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 AM

196 posts, read 359,909 times
Brazilians likes to live in apartments. Look at this. The city, Araujos, has less than 6.000 inhabitants in Minas Gerais state countryside...

Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
Brazilians likes to live in apartments. Look at this. The city, Araujos, has less than 6.000 inhabitants in Minas Gerais state countryside...
They like to live in apartments or the government encourages them to live in apartments? Not even in small western European countries do people live in tower blocks like Brazilians do.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM

exactly... and I'm trying to find out WHY? Is it a safety/crime issue? Do Brazilians who are better off prefer tower blocks as a way to ward off criminals?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
Why can't you accept that there are cultures that are different from yours?

The Brazilian middle class likes to live in apartments, just like the middle class of New York City that lives in the apartments in Manhattan.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Dude... seriously, get that chip OFF your shoulder. I am simply trying to ask about the character of Brazilian cities. Maybe I should've also asked if it's because the cost of land is so high, or land taxes so high, that it makes high rise apartments more affordable. Instead of crying like a little girl, why don't you maybe indulge someone as to WHY this is. THe only other countries in the world that I've seen this in would be china, korea and japan. Not even in western europe are there that many high rises.

And...Middle class Manhattanites? Very few middle class people in Manhattan OWN their apartments... any middle class people that live in Manhattan rent.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times
One factor is that cement was very, very cheap in Brazil from the 1950's into the 1980's. Brazil had an oversupply of cement, and one use for cement is to build mid-rise towers. That's not the whole explanation, but without cheap cement, these buildings would have been much more difficult to construct.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,509,927 times
Safety is a big part of it. Brazil is one of the most dangerous countries in the World. To give you an idea, I live in Des Moines, Iowa and a city of the same size in Brazil would have on average 20 times more murders, robberies and home invasions.

Maceio', Alagoas is the third most dangerous city in the World, only behind Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

Even people who live in gated communities and high rises are not totally safe, these places get robbed too.

I have a cousin who lives in a gated community in Sao Paulo, and even with a 24 hour security guard booth and surveillance cameras, they have had several home invasions

Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 AM

356 posts, read 926,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Why can't you accept that there are cultures that are different from yours?

The Brazilian middle class likes to live in apartments, just like the middle class of New York City that lives in the apartments in Manhattan.
I don't think the OP is being intolerant but rather curious as to why Brazil builds it's cities like this. I've often wondered the same.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
It's CULTURE.

The Brazilian middle class, starting in the 70's, inspired by the condos in Miami and in Manhattan, decided that to live in apartments in condominiums is a "proof of social status".

It's now part of the culture of the Brazilian middle class to live in apartments in condominiums.

People like the sensation of living in a high place, far above the ground level, and with a good view of the surrounding city.

That's why the city where I live, Fortaleza, looks like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or