Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM

9,909 posts, read 14,773,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What Latin American countries have the best economic prospects?
Panama is growing as if there's no crisis... anywhere.

Mexico has good economic perspectives for the short to medium term.

Chile will probably become fully developed within the next 20 years or so.

Peru is also growing quite nicely and they have a fiscal surplus to boot.

Colombia is also doing rather nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer
How hard is it to get an intern position(at most 3 months) in Singapore as a foreigner? (e.g. pharma industry, etc.)
Singapore is not in the Americas. Wrong forum buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,518,412 times
The brazilian economy is not getting bad. Since the 80s it has been ever bad. Lula sold an illusion to the world and to the own poor people in Brazil. It's true the fact that the brazilian economy had improvements in the last decade, but not more than other regular country. The Workers Party, to which Lla and Dilma Rousseff belong, are constituted by fomer commies and they are intransigent against liberal politics towards the economy. Brazilians pay high taxes but most of this amount goes for keeping the state bureaucracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,008,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Panama is growing as if there's no crisis... anywhere.

Mexico has good economic perspectives for the short to medium term.

Chile will probably become fully developed within the next 20 years or so.

Peru is also growing quite nicely and they have a fiscal surplus to boot.

Colombia is also doing rather nicely.

Singapore is not in the Americas. Wrong forum buddy.
That's why I said my questions are off-topic to begin with! lol..

Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,175,256 times
A lot of tourists are surprised by how expensive Brazil is. Lula expanded opportunites (and handouts) for many (but not all) poor, but also spent a lot and squandered the progress Cardoso had engineered. Corruption (which certainly didn't start with Lula) continued unabated, which of course didn't help. There was a big vote-buying scandal when Lula was president, but manyof his supporters excused it by saying he was unaware of what was going on (like supporters of Ronald Reagan did).

It surprises me that Dilma gets credit for cleaning up her cabinet by accepting the resignations of ministers whose corruption was uncovered mainly by the press. In some cases she stuck with the minister until public indignation made her positon untenable (again, like Reagan). Public debt is an ongoing problem. Private debt, too, with credit card interest rates that would shock many people in other countries, especially the U.S. PT will likely stay in power for years. The fact that the oppositon keeps nominating old, tired, corrupt dinosaurs like Sarney doesn't help. Bloomberg News reported today that the newly hot economy in the Americas is Mexico. The note about the low wages many make in Brazil is spot-on. Plus the public health and public education systems are, in most locations, sad.

I spend a lot of time in Brazil so hope the eoconomy improves. 3 years ago I bought some Petrobas stock on the NYSE. Today it is worth less than 1/3 what I bought it for.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,175,256 times
That was one prediction in late October. A bit overly optimistic, to put it mildly. BBC reported today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20555816:
Brazil's economy slowed unexpectedly in the third quarter, new data suggests.
Latin America's biggest country clocked just 0.6% growth in the three months to September versus the previous quarter, half the rate expected by analysts.

Businesses cut their investment by a further 2%, while consumer spending growth was a sluggish 0.9%.
The weak private-sector spending counteracted a big round of stimulus spending unleashed by the government, including tax cuts for businesses.
"It was horrible," said Jankiel Santos, chief economist at BES Investimento in Sao Paulo. "The government is certainly going to be worried about this. The expectation is that they are going to come out with more stimulus measures."
In September, the government cut its growth forecast for the year to 2% - a figure that was still seen as too optimistic by markets even before the latest data release.
Growth for 2012 now looks set to be closer to 1%, compared with 2.7% last year and 7.5% in 2010.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,518,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
A lot of tourists are surprised by how expensive Brazil is. Lula expanded opportunites (and handouts) for many (but not all) poor, but also spent a lot and squandered the progress Cardoso had engineered. Corruption (which certainly didn't start with Lula) continued unabated, which of course didn't help. There was a big vote-buying scandal when Lula was president, but manyof his supporters excused it by saying he was unaware of what was going on (like supporters of Ronald Reagan did).

It surprises me that Dilma gets credit for cleaning up her cabinet by accepting the resignations of ministers whose corruption was uncovered mainly by the press. In some cases she stuck with the minister until public indignation made her positon untenable (again, like Reagan). Public debt is an ongoing problem. Private debt, too, with credit card interest rates that would shock many people in other countries, especially the U.S. PT will likely stay in power for years. The fact that the oppositon keeps nominating old, tired, corrupt dinosaurs like Sarney doesn't help. Bloomberg News reported today that the newly hot economy in the Americas is Mexico. The note about the low wages many make in Brazil is spot-on. Plus the public health and public education systems are, in most locations, sad.

I spend a lot of time in Brazil so hope the eoconomy improves. 3 years ago I bought some Petrobas stock on the NYSE. Today it is worth less than 1/3 what I bought it for.
Sarney is not opposition. In fact, he supports anyone serving in the government. The problem with the opposition is that they don't have speech, they appear to be afraid of the Workers Party. They do not say "we are going to change the politics". Instead, they say "we are going to do everything that the Workers' Party does, but better than them". The WP said once that the economic liberalism is bad and depicted Fernando Henrique Cardoso as the devil in person. And the opposition did not really oppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas