Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
"Native Americans" are immigrants from Asia by way of the Bering Strait. No humans are native to the western hemisphere.
if we use that logic, then Humans are really only native to Africa as they migrated to every place else.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
"Race" is a uniquely American adventure, that's why. In every other land people identify with their own tribe/ethnic group, here such minutiae gets ignored for the larger rubric of race. Be it Europe, Africa, Asia or the Amerindians generally the people you were fighting, killing, or enslaving looked very similar to you. Then fast forward to this country where suddenly you cannot identify as a small identity like tribe and get lumpedminto a "race" you may have never even considered yourself a member of previously.
Race is by no means exclusive to the US. Racism exist all over the world. I'm so tired of people acting like America is the only country that sees race. When immigrants come to the US, many bring their racial ideologies with them. In case you didn't know, racism existed long before the existence of the United States.

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-19-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
if we use that logic, then Humans are really only native to Africa as they migrated to every place else.
So true.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
"Native Americans" are immigrants from Asia by way of the Bering Strait. No humans are native to the western hemisphere.
That's quite a stretch because they migrated here thousands of years ago. I think enough time has pass for them to consider themselves natives of these lands.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That's quite a stretch because they migrated here thousands of years ago. I think enough time has pass for them to consider themselves natives of these lands.
I agree, they were the first humans to live in that part of the world so they earned they right to claim it as their land before others.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree, they were the first humans to live in that part of the world so they earned they right to claim it as their land before others.
Did the Solutreans settle America first? | GarethCook

Not easy to share more links on my tablet, but there's serious evidence Europeans settled the Eastern part of the US first.

See also Kennewick man and Clovis people.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Did the Solutreans settle America first? | GarethCook

Not easy to share more links on my tablet, but there's serious evidence Europeans settled the Eastern part of the US first.

See also Kennewick man and Clovis people.
It's just a theory. Until proven, it's not fact.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's just a theory. Until proven, it's not fact.
So is Out of Africa.

I know in China the competing theory (multiregionalism) is taught as fact. Every now and then something is found which favors one or the other.

In the end, it all happened way before I was born and impacts me not a bit.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
So is Out of Africa.

I know in China the competing theory (multiregionalism) is taught as fact. Every now and then something is found which favors one or the other.

In the end, it all happened way before I was born and impacts me not a bit.
Actually that's not a theory as it has already been proven but I don't want to get too off topic. My main point is that America is definitely not the only country obsessed with race as there are plenty of countries around the world that are also very obsessed with race. I don't buy into this idea about the US being some sort of anomaly when it comes being obsess with race.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 20,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Because race is a part of life. Just the way God made it. Oh well.
God didn't create races, humans did. Humans start problems and are afraid of anything that is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas