U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 39,433 times

Advertisements

I have always had a love of the spanish language. In my family there are mexicans, blacks and puertoricans. I have always wanted to go to a hispanic country and actually live there for a few months..ive heard that things are pretty ok for blacks, but that when it comes to actual employment, that they are only offered jobs such as janitor, car washer, garbage man, server..etc..i am a nurse and could not imagin not being able to do my job just because of my race. Any one can help me understand better, thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,193,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I have always had a love of the spanish language. In my family there are mexicans, blacks and puertoricans. I have always wanted to go to a hispanic country and actually live there for a few months..ive heard that things are pretty ok for blacks, but that when it comes to actual employment, that they are only offered jobs such as janitor, car washer, garbage man, server..etc..i am a nurse and could not imagin not being able to do my job just because of my race. Any one can help me understand better, thanks!
If you are already an educated professional, you should be fine. Many Black people in Latin American countries are shut out of higher education, which is why they struggle getting beyond menial jobs.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
It's been my long understanding, that the Indians of Latin America are at the bottom of the totem pole, which is why they shipped so many black people to Brazil a century or 2 ago, as they were easier to control, and be subjugated. No different than the U.S. during that time frame.

I know there's a pecking order in Latin America, the whiter your skin the furthur you go up the ladder, metizos come next and I would think blacks are 3rd down the totem pole and Indians last.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 PM

314 posts, read 642,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's been my long understanding, that the Indians of Latin America are at the bottom of the totem pole, which is why they shipped so many black people to Brazil a century or 2 ago, as they were easier to control, and be subjugated. No different than the U.S. during that time frame.

I know there's a pecking order in Latin America, the whiter your skin the furthur you go up the ladder, metizos come next and I would think blacks are 3rd down the totem pole and Indians last.
which is why I sympathize for Indians and feel we(blacks) should form some type of alliance with them...Infact in many African American families(including my own) have native American backgrounds.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM

151 posts, read 152,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I can't speak for every country but I don't think you would have a problem in countries like Brazil, Venezuela or Colombia. They would probably love you and kiss your behind if they know you are foreign. Native africans should not have much of a problem either in healthcare professions. I personally was attented by a black doctor in the main hospital of a predominantely white city.

It is actually harder to get hired in jobs where no credentials are required like cashier, sales and office clerks. It is just not people from african descent, it's unactractive people, overweight people, men, older people etc. They just want young white blonde thin girls.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:13 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
If you are already an educated professional, you should be fine. Many Black people in Latin American countries are shut out of higher education, which is why they struggle getting beyond menial jobs.
How are they shut out? Just by their economic situation? I can't imagine them actually banning blacks from going to University.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,508,736 times
Black people in Latin American countries are mostly at the bottom of society. Why? Because contrary to the USA, where we had the Civil Rights Movement and all the struggles that led to better conditions for African Americans, they never had such thing.

In Brazil for example, there is a lot of racism but it is mostly subtle-I remember when I was kid in Brazil, most of the Black ladies who were housekeepers or maids would always take the service elevator- it was never forced upon them but in a way they understood that the main elevator- what they call in Portuguese "the social elevator" was not for them- it was understood that they were not at the same level as their bosses. A very subtle form of Jim Crow.

This backwards, ignorant, classist mentality that was brought from Portugal disgusts me- even at the restaurants, it was understood that a server was NEVER supposed to eat around the patrons- usually the server would go to the back of the restaurant and eat at a place where no one would see him/her.

It is a very ignorant, backwards way of living-definitely Third World

Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,166 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How are they shut out? Just by their economic situation? I can't imagine them actually banning blacks from going to University.
The way many blacks in the US gain access to higher education has been through the lowering of standards for them. Probably Latin American universities will have to lower their standards and then large numbers of blacks will attend university too.

Here are some examples of how its done in the US:

Florida Passes Education Plan With Lower Standards For Black Students

harmonicminer Diversity quotas and lower standards for blacks in Law School Admissions actually reduce the number of black attorneys

Of course, many blacks get into university on their own merit, but the lowering of standards in order to boast the enrollment of blacks in American universities is so pervasive, that there is a new stereotype that any black in a university got there due to either the double racial standards in admission requirement or in order to comply with the legally mandated quota, which is often one and the same issue.

Another thing, Repubocrat obviously doesn't move in American social circles where maids are employed. If he did, he wouldn't be making the comment he just made, since the same thing is seen here in the US. Or, maybe he would just to make Brazil (and Latin America in general) look bad. It is a theme of his. lol

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For the most part. None of the countries in Latin America have racism encoded into law. The vast majority of black people in Latin America are dirt poor, and they usually stay in the class they were born in, ditto for the rest of the people. Upward social mobility doesn't exist in LatAm in the numbers that it does like in Oceania, western Europe, and North America (sans Mexico).

OP, if you want to live in a Latin American country where there's a lot of people, don't go to Venezuela or Colombia. Go to the Dominican Republic, I'd say around 50% of the people living in that country are black.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 AM

7,553 posts, read 2,425,094 times
It's different but yet not that different from the U.S. Basically, in the majority of nations, they have not been afforded the same opportunities as whites. The same is also true for the indigenous groups. Between Republcrat and Antonio is the truth. Like in the U.S., whites have had the most for so long and were too afraid to give the same standards and opportunities to "blacks," for fear they would surpass & turn around and oppress them in a similar manner. Basically, fear of karma. In the U.S. (and now in Brasil), they are trying to "fix" the system in certain cases with lower standards for minorities (including Latinos). A lot of whites are dislike this approach, although they have their own lower standards via alumni/legacy privilege in the U.S. Either way, it's too little, too late in both regions. It will take awhile for non-white groups to catch up to the hundreds of years less opportunity. And it's true that there really havent been civil rights movement as in the U.S. for different reasons.

So perhaps go with an open mind but also with an understanding of history. Understand the mentalities that you may face, although it may not be nearly as difficult for you as an outsider.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 12-26-2012 at 03:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or