Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 PM

7 posts, read 42,186 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone my family is planning on visiting a few different places in the next year and one of them is jamaica. I of course will go to the tourist areas, but i really wanted to get a sence of the real jamaica..away from the tourist spots. Is this a bad idea? Is jamaica really as dangerous and scary as i hear people say it is? And also how much usdollars would i need for me to have a fairy decent week there? $1500? more or less? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Most of the crime is concentrated in downtown (lower) Kingston. It has reached some of the other areas, but for the most part the average person outside the ghetto doesn't have to worry too much. Also, Jamaican friends tell me there's an unwritten code there where tourists mostly get a pass even in dicey areas, whereas the average Jamaican would not. You will get harassed a lot to buy things in the tourist areas like Negril and MoBay, otherwise most people have incredible experiences visiting Jamaica.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I had an awful experience there, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you were going to a resort and not planning on leaving unless you had security with you.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The danger I look for in Latin America is potential, unwarranted, unwanted noise. I consider that a danger to my health, my mental health more than anything.

If loud, thumping boom cars are prevalent down there, going unchecked by the police, I want no part of it!
It's bad enough with the loud disco's (which can be heard for 4-5 blocks away until all hours of the night) and the seemingly nonstop car alarms going off!

I seek out quiet vacations, and when I think of Jamaica, for some reason, perhaps unfounded, I think noise, noise, noise!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times
It really is that bad.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
No, not really for you as a visitor. The crime is generally concentrated in certain areas like in most places. The majority of people seem to really enjoy themselves.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Go and have fun. Just pack your common sense along with your swimsuit. Very rarely are tourists a target of crime. Does crime happen? Sure it does, but it's amongst the locals and as I said, tourists don't usually see it or hear it.

Basically, if you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it here. Don't go off with strangers. Don't flash cash or wear your good jewelry.

If you're staying at an AI you won't have any issues. It's perfectly safe to go on tours than you can book thru your hotel or resort.

Where on the island are you looking to stay? I can helpyou with info about MoBay, Falmouth and just about anywhere inbetween/

Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Just don't go wondering outside of the tourist districts, particularly at night or alone, and you should be fine. Haven't been to Jamaica but we were warned away from certain areas in New Orleans, maybe it was over-cautious but we were with a tour and they didn't want to take any chances. Millions of tourists visit Jamaica every year without a hitch, unless you put yourself in that position I think the risk isn't really higher than any other country.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Just don't go wondering outside of the tourist districts, particularly at night or alone, and you should be fine. Haven't been to Jamaica but we were warned away from certain areas in New Orleans, maybe it was over-cautious but we were with a tour and they didn't want to take any chances. Millions of tourists visit Jamaica every year without a hitch, unless you put yourself in that position I think the risk isn't really higher than any other country.

It really isn't any higher for the tourists...locals however, totally different story. I love living here, but could do without the burglar bars and armed security.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,349 times
My classmate's cousin went there (as a tourist) and said she was a virtual prisoner of the hotel. When she ventured more than a few blocks away, she could hear gun shots at all hours. And this was supposedly a touristy area of Kingston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas