Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

It's no secret Latin American countries have some of the highest violent crime rates in the world. For murder rate, for instance, Latin American cities dominate the list. Cities in Colombia or Guatemala are notorious for being dangerous, even for tourists.

While most of the violence is carried out by criminals (well obviously, once you carry out a crime you are a criminal by definition lol), okay maybe 'career criminals' if you like, is Latin American society also prone to more violence? I mean football/soccer riots are a good example. There've been riots where people have been killed in South America, I do not recall this happening in Europe or Asia. Is it part of the 'hot-blooded' Latin temperament? I mean the US is more violent than Europe, so in the same way is Latin America more violent than Spain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 AM

255 posts, read 565,274 times
You really do have a huge vault of stupid questions Trimac, really. It doesn't happen in Asia? Vietnam? Indonesia? Latin America is more violent than Spain? I mean, where do you get this crap from - which part of Latin America... Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Guatemala, Uruguay, Puerto Rico, Cuba? - and comparing developing countries to a pseudo 'first' world country that has been propped up by EU money just isn't sport you know.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 AM

255 posts, read 565,274 times
And find out which country has the highest death rate for expats - it isn't in Latin America...

Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Well I don't know the reasons, but it is true that Latin America has many bands like Maras or other violent groups that you can barely see in other places, also the drugs traffic... maybe the past bad economy, or whatever.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Trimac20, there are times when one would wish to vanish underneath one's dunce cap and disappear. You are having one of these moments.

Tiptoe away from this thread, shhh be very quiet , maybe nobody will notice .....

Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
People who live in Latin America mostly protect themselves from "neither of the above", but from petty crime of opportunity. You never leave anything where it can be stolen, because it certainly will be, if left exposed to the risk of theft.

Houses and cars are securely locked, properties are gated or walled, watchmen are hired, people are careful about where they go after dark. Not because of organized crime, but because of the risk that a passerby will see an opportunity for ill-gotten gains.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM

599 posts, read 2,592,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Trimac20, there are times when one would wish to vanish underneath one's dunce cap and disappear. You are having one of these moments.

Tiptoe away from this thread, shhh be very quiet , maybe nobody will notice .....

Its central america and northern south america (who also belong partially to caribbean area, like colombia and venezuela).

There are many countries in South America that have way lower homicide rates than the US, I could name a few, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and even Peru, Bolivia, paraguay, ecuador. I think the high violence/homicide rates are more a central american problem rather than "latin american".

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
You really do have a huge vault of stupid questions Trimac, really. It doesn't happen in Asia? Vietnam? Indonesia? Latin America is more violent than Spain? I mean, where do you get this crap from - which part of Latin America... Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Guatemala, Uruguay, Puerto Rico, Cuba? - and comparing developing countries to a pseudo 'first' world country that has been propped up by EU money just isn't sport you know.
As a region, Latin America has the overall highest crime rates. Yes, he was using a shorthand but then it'd be instead saying Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, US, and South Africa. The last three aren't in Latin America, but the other ones are and comprise a very large proportion of Latin American countries at that. East Asia really does have far less violent crime than those countries as does Spain. There is some kind of problem going on and part of it might be the fueling of drug demand from countries such as the US, massive inequality within society (high Gini coefficients, latent racism), and a good supply of weapons due to fairly recent militaristic regimes for some of these countries and relations with the number one arms manufacturer and seller in the world (the US).

I agree though that we need another term that doesn't just encompass all of Latin America. Central America outside of Nicaragua (less violence here), Panama, and Costa Rica, South America aside from the Andean Community (save for Colombia) and the Southern Cone? Seems like a mouthful.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
As a region, Latin America has the overall highest crime rates.
I doubt if you have any idea what the "crime rates" are. Murder rates are well known, but probably based on highly variable and faulty methodology. In Latin America, non-homicide crimes are seldom reported to the police, because the police are generally regarded as the enemy, and one avoids contact with them at all cost.

As for north vs. south Latin America, I lived in Chile for a year, and as far as I could tell, the country is no more crime-free than most of Colombia, which I've been to several times, but admittedly, I have not been to the Caribbean coast of Colombia, which is presumably more dangerous than the rest of the country. But as for the interior of Colombia, the crime risk is probably higher than Chile, but not by a dramatic margin.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if you have any idea what the "crime rates" are. Murder rates are well known, but probably based on highly variable and faulty methodology. In Latin America, non-homicide crimes are seldom reported to the police, because the police are generally regarded as the enemy, and one avoids contact with them at all cost.
Homicide rate, my mistake. And yes, there are large variations on how data is collected and other issues. People go on the best that they have available, there's really not much else to do there.

Tendency to underreport would mean crime rates are even worse than what's measured, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas