Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I was at the fete where he filmed this video. Epic fete! The powder stained our clothes though

My favourites in what has been a generally weak Carnival season for music IMO
I wish I could have been there! Powder stains? Yuh cah play mas, if yuh fraid powder...

I love the music this season...really nice.

Did you see the official video for "Possessed?"

Machel Montano & Kerwin Du Bois feat. Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Possessed (Official Video) [HD] - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I like te top one!! Also how did you embed those the videos.
Copy the url from the top of the browser.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Thats what I did but the video doesn't appear on my posts.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Thats what I did but the video doesn't appear on my posts.
Not sure why that is then. It works fine for me. Maybe open it in a new page and just copy the URL from there.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I like some reggae, dub especially, and I like calypso and mento a lot. Soca, bouyon, and zouk aren't as exciting to me with some soca just being sort of annoying.
Yeah, soca will be extremely annoying to you if you haven't participated in carnival. I didn't really like it until I was old enough to play mas. Soca is difficult to appreciate on its own musical merits (not much to it honestly) and only makes sense in the context of high energy jouvert fetes where paint and water are flying around. Then you say, "Oh, this is fun! Now I get it!" But just playing it from your laptop with no context to work with will drive the uninitiated to the brink of insanity.

Russell Peters gets some good cracks in on Trinis and soca in this video.

MADD JOKES: Russell Peters Roasting Jamaicans, Trini's, Guyanese & More DWLL!! - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Demands your character I love soca, FAST zouk and bouyon but when your not in the mood its kinda annoying with those jumpy beats

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Anyone familar with this Lord Kitchener chune?

Lord Kitchener - Dr. Kitch aka The Needle (1963) - YouTube

"I push it in, she push it out, I push it in, she start to shout, I push it back, 'Dr. Kitch, it's terrible, I can't stand the size of your needle!'"

West Indian humor is all about the double entendre.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, soca will be extremely annoying to you if you haven't participated in carnival. I didn't really like it until I was old enough to play mas. Soca is difficult to appreciate on its own musical merits (not much to it honestly) and only makes sense in the context of high energy jouvert fetes where paint and water are flying around. Then you say, "Oh, this is fun! Now I get it!" But just playing it from your laptop with no context to work with will drive the uninitiated to the brink of insanity.

Russell Peters gets some good cracks in on Trinis and soca in this video.

MADD JOKES: Russell Peters Roasting Jamaicans, Trini's, Guyanese & More DWLL!! - YouTube
IMO, it depends on soca you are listening to. In the 70s, 80s and early 90s, soca was so beautiful and melodic and was generally mid-tempo. There was plenty brass and intricate instrumentation. The genre left the majority of that behind for years, and only now does it seem to perhaps be coming back around. I honestly listen to soca more than anything else, not just for Carnival or a fete.

This is sweeeet soca...

Baron - Sweet Soca Man - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM

347 posts, read 695,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
IMO, it depends on soca you are listening to. In the 70s, 80s and early 90s, soca was so beautiful and melodic and was generally mid-tempo. There was plenty brass and intricate instrumentation. The genre left the majority of that behind for years, and only now does it seem to perhaps be coming back around. I honestly listen to soca more than anything else, not just for Carnival or a fete.

This is sweeeet soca...

Baron - Sweet Soca Man - YouTube
Lovvvvvvvee Baron. My favourite is "Doh rock it so".

I also listen to mainly soca.

My favourite older songs are

Mighty Shadow - Dingolay - YouTube
Great song about the love of music.

Congo man - Sparrow - YouTube
Love this one for the social commentary

Lord Kitchener - Bee's Melody - YouTube
Can`t have a list without Kitchener. Great song for pan

Woman On The Bass - Scrunter - YouTube
And my favourite pan tune of all. Hearing this song live played by pan gives me chills!

Trinidad All Stars - Woman On De Bass (slow jam) - YouTube
Steel Pan version

Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM

Woman on d Bass is such a sweet song...and I love it on pan. Kitch well...nothing much needs to be said for him. He made the most beautiful songs for pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas