U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM

72 posts, read 88,741 times

Advertisements

I hear that at a young age girls take on the tasks of running the home and caring for younger siblings, while boys are expected to contribute to the family income. And that they finish high school a little bit earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM

8 posts, read 9,486 times
tough question. a lot of times kids from other countries have more responsibilities and are forced to grow up faster and take on more responsibility at a younger age

Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Americans are severely developmentally retarded. America is the only country in the world in which a 20-year old is too immature to drink alcohol, and is almost the only country in the world where there are jurisdictions in which a 17 year old is not mature enough to consent to sex.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans are severely developmentally retarded. America is the only country in the world in which a 20-year old is too immature to drink alcohol, and is almost the only country in the world where there are jurisdictions in which a 17 year old is not mature enough to consent to sex.
I think that there are a couple of more countries like that.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM

151 posts, read 152,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
I hear that at a young age girls take on the tasks of running the home and caring for younger siblings, while boys are expected to contribute to the family income. And that they finish high school a little bit earlier.
Not really.

There are some very poor families that will force their kids to work, but most people in Latin America are what I would call lower middle cass. They send their kids to public or private school and dream to send their kids to college (boys and girls) just like they do here in the US.

Many of those girls don't learn how to cook until they get married because many Latin americans are having less children and their mother usually does the housework and cooking. If the children help is usually not significant.

The generation that knew how to cook from scratch, hem pants by hand are already granmothers.

Last edited by Where is W?; 12-22-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
Not really.

There are some very poor families that will force their kids to work, but most people in Latin America are what I would call lower middle cass. They send their kids to public or private school and dream to send their kids to college (boys and girls) just like they do here in the US.

Many of those girls don't learn how to cook until they get married because many Latin americans are having less children and their mother usually does the housework and cooking. If the children help is usually not significant.

The generation that knew how to cook from scratch, hem pants by hand are already granmothers.
Oh, I see. So at what age do they usually finish high school?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM

151 posts, read 152,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmayhem666 View Post
oh, i see. So at what age do they usually finish high school?
16-19. Most 17-18 like in the US.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,827,238 times
Sure. That's why the majority - it seems... Live with their parents until they are 35.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,109,784 times
Just a thought, but the youngest female to ever have a baby was a 5 yr. old girl from Peru. That is pretty darn young, not only to have a baby, but to be having sex.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sure. That's why the majority - it seems... Live with their parents until they are 35.
Uh, KickAss? I don't know how long you've been outside Latin America, but the vast majority of people in Latin America can't afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood on the **** poor salaries they are paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or