U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

Anywhere in South or Central America where a sizeable percentage of locals can speak English fluently or basically, let's say at least a third, 33%? I think some countries on the South American Caribbean coast and Honduras or Costa Rica, I've heard. Is English still very rarely spoken in the larger cities like BA, Rio, SP, Santiago, Lima? What about Tijuana, or Ciudad Juarez?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
No. If you're hoping to get by on just English and work there speaking English, then no. Most people in LatAm don't speak fluent English, just passable English. Enough to get some basic conservation in, but most of them would have to translate in their heads what they want to say, it doesn't come automatically.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anywhere in South or Central America where a sizeable percentage of locals can speak English fluently or basically, let's say at least a third, 33%? I think some countries on the South American Caribbean coast and Honduras or Costa Rica, I've heard. Is English still very rarely spoken in the larger cities like BA, Rio, SP, Santiago, Lima? What about Tijuana, or Ciudad Juarez?
Not fluently but also not very rarely. English is an obligatory subject in school, so most people have at least some notions of it.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
You're right, English is spoken widely in the Central American towns along the Caribbean coast, but they are very small towns with insignificant populations, and the few that have grown have become more Spanish with the influx of people from the interior. The English speakers on the coast are essentially West Indians whose ancestors migrated from the islands, and speak Jamaican English. English is much more widely spoken in Venezuela than any other Latin American country, but still only as a second language. Of course, there are expat communities in Mexico and Costa Rica, where Americans have settled in large enough number to dominate the culture, like Rosarito, San Miguel de Allende and Lake Chapala. Guyana, of course, is an English speaking country.

There is a large and significant German speaking area in the Paraguayan Chaco, around Filadelfia, which even looks like a German town. of about 10,000. It was settled as a religious commune by German Mennonites, and there are probably a few small English language communes like that around South America, too.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-24-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,328,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Belmopan, Belize
Belize City, Belize
All other cities in Belize (English-speaking national)
Puerto Limon, Costa Rica and the rest of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica
The Caribbean coast of Panama
Bluefields, Nicaragua

I doubt either a third of Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana speaks English, as one can live an almost perfectly normal existence on the U.S. side of the border only speaking Spanish.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:27 PM

463 posts, read 982,217 times
+1 for Belize. Also, David, Panama. Boquete, Panama. Lots of exPat Americans there as well as the nicer areas of Panama City.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 AM

304 posts, read 886,971 times
If you stick to areas where there are a lot of expats you'll usually find quite a few locals speak English too. The Lake Chapala area of Mexico has the largest group of English speaking expats in Latin America and you can get by on just English. Antigua, Guatemala is also a place with many English speaking locals, many of whom lived and worked in the States as well as having dealt with English speakers for generations. I've read that Colombia is trying to become a bilingual nation, requiring English study throughout the school years.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
+1 for Belize. Also, David, Panama. Boquete, Panama. Lots of exPat Americans there as well as the nicer areas of Panama City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Belmopan, Belize
Belize City, Belize
All other cities in Belize (English-speaking national)
Puerto Limon, Costa Rica and the rest of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica
The Caribbean coast of Panama
Bluefields, Nicaragua

I doubt either a third of Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana speaks English, as one can live an almost perfectly normal existence on the U.S. side of the border only speaking Spanish.
Belize is not Latin America. It's part of the English Caribbean along with Jamaica, Cayman Islands, etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,053,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Good example! Panama had the former Panama Canal Zone until 1979. Many are the descendants of Afro-Caribbean workers who built the canal. Though, I reckon many are also found in other parts of Panama, such as Bocas de Toro. However, among Panamians who are not of African descent or formally worked in the Canal Zone, English is only a second language taught to a basic level in school.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,053,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Belize is not Latin America. It's part of the English Caribbean along with Jamaica, Cayman Islands, etc.
Technically, Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean are all Latin America. You are correct that the "Latin" part of Latin America comes from the former Spanish and Portuguese colonies of the region. Hence, some people do not consider the non-Latin parts of Latin America, a part of Latin America. The Afro-Caribbean countries may or may not be a part of Latin America. On the other hand, the demographic changes in Belize should definitely push the country into the "Latin America" category. Why? The Latin influx in Belize has pushed Belize to be a de facto bilingual country, English AND Spanish. I think almost half the country is native to Spanish and many of the rest speak it as a second tongue. Yes, English is still the official language of Belize. However, in parts of northern Belize or near the Guatemalan border, you will hear more Spanish than English. Thus, I think Belize should be seen as part of Latin America, even if the Afro-Caribbean countries are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or