Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times

Advertisements

I've been to many beaches in many cities:

• Gulf Shores, Mississippi, USA
  • Key West, Florida, USA
  • Galveston, Texas, USA
  • Grand Isle, Louisiana, USA
  • Pensacola, Florida, USA
  • Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
  • Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA
  • Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico
  • San Miguel de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
  • Freeport, Grand Bahamas, Bahamas
  • Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Of those beaches, Nassau in particular really stood out as a great beach, and I even sampled the local beer (Kalik) and the local official dish (Conch) after speaking with some locals in the area. I then toured the low income, middle income, and high income areas of the city around the beach. I found that either the middle or low income areas would be affordable if I moved there, but the high income areas would be out of my price range.

Should I move to Nassau or keep looking at more beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
I guess what would keep me from deciding on the Bahamas is the price. It´s easily more expensive than the US, isn´t it? Check out Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica...there are other spots around where your money will stretch more.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I guess what would keep me from deciding on the Bahamas is the price. It´s easily more expensive than the US, isn´t it? Check out Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica...there are other spots around where your money will stretch more.
I also might look at Manta, Ecuador--seems to be warm all year but never all that hot, at least looking online. Its a tough call whether to go there or one of the other nice beaches I want to go, though.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I also might look at Manta, Ecuador--seems to be warm all year but never all that hot, at least looking online. Its a tough call whether to go there or one of the other nice beaches I want to go, though.
Manta beaches aren´t really all that. It is a decent-sized city though, if you´re looking for amenities. Salinas is really the crown jewel of the Ecuadorian coast. I have friends in Olon who are also happy there, though it is just kind of a beach hut/surfer/retiree villa town and not much else. Ecuador is pretty dope.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I've been to many beaches in many cities:

• Gulf Shores, Mississippi, USA
  • Key West, Florida, USA
  • Galveston, Texas, USA
  • Grand Isle, Louisiana, USA
  • Pensacola, Florida, USA
  • Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
  • Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA
  • Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico
  • San Miguel de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
  • Freeport, Grand Bahamas, Bahamas
  • Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Of those beaches, Nassau in particular really stood out as a great beach, and I even sampled the local beer (Kalik) and the local official dish (Conch) after speaking with some locals in the area. I then toured the low income, middle income, and high income areas of the city around the beach. I found that either the middle or low income areas would be affordable if I moved there, but the high income areas would be out of my price range.

Should I move to Nassau or keep looking at more beaches?
Did you go to the stores and locals restaurants of Nassau, or just look at how much rents are? The killer costs in the Caribbean are the day to day expenses. Everything in the supermarket with tax is much higher. Mexico or Ecuador costs for most things are much lower than the Bahamas or US as long as you buy like the locals when possible. Even if you go to the most expensive places of the Yucatan where housing and restaurant meals are the same or more than the US, you can always go a few miles inland away from the tourists and find plenty of budget options and live for half what you probably spend in the US.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Did you go to the stores and locals restaurants of Nassau, or just look at how much rents are? The killer costs in the Caribbean are the day to day expenses. Everything in the supermarket with tax is much higher. Mexico or Ecuador costs for most things are much lower than the Bahamas or US as long as you buy like the locals when possible. Even if you go to the most expensive places of the Yucatan where housing and restaurant meals are the same or more than the US, you can always go a few miles inland away from the tourists and find plenty of budget options and live for half what you probably spend in the US.
Besides looking at rents, my only experience with food was getting an order of fried conch and a bottle of Kalik. That said, when I mentioned to one of the locals I'm a big milk drinker, they told me Milk was 4 bucks and some change there, and I remember that threw me off a bit.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Beach in Nassau, Bahamas

Vs

Playa Juanillo, Dominican Republic

Or

Playa Frontón, Dominican Republic

Or

Playa Bahía de las Águilas, Dominican Republic

Alright, let me stop. Those are only a few in just one country, but there are plenty more in that country too. Then there are beaches in other countries in the region that are very capable in offering equivalents or better beaches than in Nassau, Bahamas.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:53 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
So far I have yet to as many beautiful beaches anywhere as I have seen in the US Virgin Islands. The nice thing about the USVI is that the British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are very close, especially if you live in St Thomas or St John.

I’ll be in the Bahamas and Mexico later this month so I’m excited to see their beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas