Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:13 AM

117 posts, read 155,036 times

Advertisements

I didn't know this was a "thing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo View Post
I didn't know this was a "thing".
It's not.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 21,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Very simple, because US North Americans are not the only Americans. As simple as that.

Is very sad that your country doesn't have an own name. Statians would be better, but since your people don't like it, I think you should have put another name to your country to avoid confusion with other Americans.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
Very simple, because US North Americans are not the only Americans. As simple as that.

Is very sad that your country doesn't have an own name. Statians would be better, but since your people don't like it, I think you should have put another name to your country to avoid confusion with other Americans.
It would be A LOT easier if people stopped asking "Where are you from?"

It's one of the most annoying questions a person can be asked, particularly when people get jacked up by the answer.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
^^

Worse still is when you're asked, "where are you from, FROM?"

I get that quite a bit but it doesn't really wind me up, it's a chance for a good old natter preferably with a pint or a warm cuppa & some biscuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas