U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM

704 posts, read 1,501,837 times

Advertisements

Particularly with regards to social issues, which Latin American country is most conservative? My relatively uneducated guess would be Chile, Guatemala, and Mexico, but I really have no idea.

How would most Latin American countries compare with the United States--and how would the most conservative countries, especially, compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Most (to not say all) Latin American countries are much more conservative than the United States. While there are differences in the level of conservative between countries and even within them, its very hard to say which ones are the most conservatives. The difference between the more conservative and the least conservative of Latin American countries is not that great.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,733 times
In terms of what? Acceptance/rejection of homosexuality, women's rights, wedlock births, unmarried cohabitation, contraception, public lewdness, racism, clinging on to religion, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
My relatively uneducated guess would be Chile, Guatemala, and Mexico, but I really have no idea.
I can't speak for Guatemala, but...

Chile elected the first female president not a wife of a previous president in Latin America. (I'm looking at you, Argentina!).
Mexico City has legalized same sex-unions, and the supreme court effectively legalized it for the whole country (marriages conducted in Mexico City must be recognized by the whole country)

Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador

In Belize same-sex sexual activity is Illegal since September 19, 2003 (Penalty: Up to 10 years imprisonment) Foreign gay males and females are barred from the country by immigration law.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,407,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Most (to not say all) Latin American countries are much more conservative than the United States. While there are differences in the level of conservative between countries and even within them, its very hard to say which ones are the most conservatives. The difference between the more conservative and the least conservative of Latin American countries is not that great.
I dont think this is true at all.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
CHILE legalized Divorce only in 2004, a few years after Ireland did. Abortion in Chile has been totally illegal since 1973. Chile's Senate in April 2012 refused to take up a bill that would allow abortion when a mother's health is endangered.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Chile is one of the few countries in the world where abortion is illegal under ANY circumstances.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I dont think this is true at all.
I don't think so either. Argentina and Uruguay are the most liberal, perhaps more liberal than the US but not as much as Canada, Chile is somewhat conservative, I think. Brazil is neither liberal nor conservative, the rural and small town conservatives balance with the big city liberals (yes, Americans, Brazil is not this free love, swinging one night stand racial paradise you seem to fill your heads with, go outside the red-light and nightlife districts when you visit Brazil, for once). The rest of the countries are more conservative than the US, BUT there's one caveat. When it comes to sex, I think, all Latin American countries are more liberal than the US. We don't have a problem having half naked women dancing in groups on talk shows, on billboards, etc. We're less uptight when it comes to sexualized imagery. That's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador

In Belize same-sex sexual activity is Illegal since September 19, 2003 (Penalty: Up to 10 years imprisonment) Foreign gay males and females are barred from the country by immigration law.
Belize is NOT part of Latin America. Their head of state is Queen Elizabeth II and they are majority English speaking. They are part of the British Commonwealth

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
According to this, the most conservative country would be El Salvador, not just in Latin America but for the whole world too.

Anyway, Latin American countries are much more conservative than most other countries, except African and most South Asian countries.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM

127 posts, read 165,317 times
May-hee-ko. Seriously compare Mexico to countries like Brazil or Chile and you'll see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or