Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 11,788 times

Advertisements

Which countries in South America are very similar to Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM

344 posts, read 1,051,396 times
that's a tough one. there are parts of mexico that aren't even similar to other parts of mexico. it's a HUGE country.

I'm gonna let someone more knowledgeable than myself answer this =)

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Maybe Chile

Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe Chile
What? I have been to both and you couldn't be further from the truth.

To answer the OP, no country is. The only similarities Mexico and South American countries have share are the language and probably media entertainment because they share the same language. Oh and soccer.

More specifically Mexico is super unique and the only country that is comparable is Guatemala. Comparing Mexico to South American countries is like asking to compare Ireland to Australia. They share the same language but that is as far as it goes.

Curious as why you ask?

Now south American countries are comparable to themselves. Like Peru and Ecuador. Or Peru an Bolivia. Or Uruguay to argentina. Chile Is actually very unique. Its very modern and it's people remind me, in terms of looks to that of the people in Spain. Where in the rest of south America there is a mix or in Argentina and Uruguay where people are more "white".

Mexico is like Japan, Brazil or even India, a country that has a very unique and distinct culture where few or no countries can compare to their culture.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Gotta agree with ChiKid here, I don't think you can really compare Mexico to any of the other countries. It is really just far too different.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
If I had to choose one, I would say Peru.

Peru is the South American country with most similarities to Mexico.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
If I had to choose one, I would say Peru.

Peru is the South American country with most similarities to Mexico.
How so? Other than indigenous population and mestizos I don't really see how they compare?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drake View Post
Which countries in South America are very similar to Mexico?
None.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
How so? Other than indigenous population and mestizos I don't really see how they compare?

Well, I don't say the two countries are the same, but if I had to pick up one in South America I would choose Peru.

Both have a big indigenous population and indigenous influence. Both have a very small African-descendant population.

Peru was the center of the Inca civilization.

Mexico was the center of the Aztec civilization.

Both countries have a coast in the Pacific Ocean, both are members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).

So, I don't see another country in South America with more similarities to Mexico than Peru...

Of course the countries are not the same, but among all the countries in South America, Peru is the most similar to Mexico in some aspects.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, I don't say the two countries are the same, but if I had to pick up one in South America I would choose Peru.

Both have a big indigenous population and indigenous influence. Both have a very small African-descendant population.

Peru was the center of the Inca civilization.

Mexico was the center of the Aztec civilization.

Both countries have a coast in the Pacific Ocean, both are members of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).

So, I don't see another country in South America with more similarities to Mexico than Peru...

Of course the countries are not the same, but among all the countries in South America, Peru is the most similar to Mexico in some aspects.
Also, both have their populations and economic power highly concentrated within their capital city (though other but not all nations in SA have that, too). They were also both host to the capital of the original two Spanish viceroyalties in the Americas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas