Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

Also this is common through most of Latin America. I watch telenovelas and most of the actresses have horrible bleach jobs. Many of them aren't even good looking by American standards but if they have blue eyes or lighter skin they seem to get

Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 AM

195 posts, read 350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Whats interesting about model hunters going down there to find the new Giselle is why don't they just look in Europe and US?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/wo.../08models.html

The man this article is about says he goes to Southern Brazil to find the "perfect genetic cocktail of German and Italian with maybe some Russian or Slavic". That sounds like very common "cocktail" where I live in the North East united states, particularly NY state. I'm not quite sure what separates those .
I guess because "Brazilian" sounds exotic. I mean Giselle is very average and she is the highest paid model in the world. If you say brazilian, "the girl from ipanema" or "la lambada" song suddenly starts playing in people's mind along with an image of a girl in a g-string.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
I]If you say brazilian, "the girl from ipanema" or "la lambada" song suddenly starts playing in people's mind along with an image of a girl in a g-string.
...which is not exactly unjustified, based on my limited travels there.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,642 times
It's not just Brazil, everywhere in the world prefers lighter features.

Mexican TV shows almost nothing but Spanish-looking people, despite the overwhelming majority of the Mexican population having native Mexican ancestry, yet you hardly ever see someone who looks native to Mexico on Mexican TV.

It's not your imagination... people prefer the Northern European look, blonde and blue eyes. People think it looks best.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1918 View Post
It's not just Brazil, everywhere in the world prefers lighter features.

Mexican TV shows almost nothing but Spanish-looking people, despite the overwhelming majority of the Mexican population having native Mexican ancestry, yet you hardly ever see someone who looks native to Mexico on Mexican TV.

It's not your imagination... people prefer the Northern European look, blonde and blue eyes. People think it looks best.
That is true and it not just Brazil. I even watched a modeling competion in Israel and it seemed the favourites of this contest were women that had lighter features, espeically Nordic types.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 AM

317 posts, read 528,126 times
everyone wants a barbie doll

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,791,114 times
It doesn't matter if you mention the names of very successful darker-skinned models in Brazil, like Emanuela de Paula and Gracie Carvalho - only to name the two most famous - and you even post the pictures of the girls:

The Brazil haters will keep repeating the same lies over and over again.

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth"

Facts, who needs facts?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Whats interesting about model hunters going down there to find the new Giselle is why don't they just look in Europe and US?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/wo.../08models.html

The man this article is about says he goes to Southern Brazil to find the "perfect genetic cocktail of German and Italian with maybe some Russian or Slavic". That sounds like very common "cocktail" where I live in the North East united states, particularly NY state. I'm not quite sure what separates those women from many American and European women besides higher poverty rates.
They tend to be skinny in Brazil whereas they tend not to be in the US.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

195 posts, read 350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
It doesn't matter if you mention the names of very successful darker-skinned models in Brazil, like Emanuela de Paula and Gracie Carvalho - only to name the two most famous - and you even post the pictures of the girls:

The Brazil haters will keep repeating the same lies over and over again.

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth"

Facts, who needs facts?
It's the image that people outside from Brazil have because most of the ones that become famous in the US and Europe are the Nordic type.

Look at this list, Only Camila Alves looks mixed.

The Top 10 Most Beautiful Brazilian Models - Brazil's Top 10 Most Beautiful Models - StyleBistro

I agree with Pear Martini, what is the point of these American and European companies getting Brazilian talent when they can more easily find girls like that in the US, Europe or Russia? If they did the same thing in South Africa people would be outraged.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
My point was proved a long time ago, and everyone else gets it. You are just further proving it. Please provide us with another example. Is it true that Nordic looking models are preferred in Brazil? Why aren't darker Brazilian women as embraced?

Brother Denial+Uninformed--

You just proved you don't have a point and don't know what you are talking about. Denial is a mysterious friend, isn't she?

This, however, is all the information that is needed:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27959843-post15.html

Enjoy! You can thank me later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas