Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I saw a documentary about how a lot of Brazilian models, ranging from mostly African descent, to mulattos, to even girls who could pass for Italian or Spanish, feel they are discriminated against by the modelling industry there who prefer pale-skinned, northern European looking girls. A lot of these girls originate from the southern states of Brazil which have a lot of German heritage, or perhaps other Europeans who have paler features, light eyes, perhaps light hair. I think Giselle Bundchen is an example. She's German Brazilian and doesn't represent the typical Brazilian. I'm not saying that girls like her shouldn't be considered at all, they are Brazilians too, but they shouldn't get preferential treatment either. I thought Brazilians were more mature than that. The rest of the world thinks the dark, 'exotic' Brazilian look is sexy...is it just the modelling agency or is this attitude widespread in Brazil?

So is Nordic beauty still preferred a lot in Brazil? Maybe they see it as 'exotic'?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
All models everywhere in the world, no matter what their skin color, feel that everyone is discriminating against them. Every time they don't get a job, it has to be discrimination and couldn't possibly be any fault of their own. There are probably millions of models hoping to land the same 200 one day jobs. There is not a lot of paid modeling work and a lot of people competing for it.

I'm not saying that there is no discrimination in Brazil, but the situations above mean nothing. Anyone, of any color, standing in front of a luxury building doing nothing but looking at the building, is going to be questioned. If he is not, then the doorman is not doing his job.

As for the car dealership, maybe they have so many tire kickers that they wait for the customer to indicate that he has questions. Did the "black man" ask for help? How was he dressed? Did he look like he could afford a luxury car? How were white customers treated. If a white man walked around looking at cars and not asking for help, was he also left alone?

I've seen plenty of "white" customers at every kind of car dealership wandering around looking at cars with nobody helping them.

It is not always racism.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I saw a documentary about how a lot of Brazilian models, ranging from mostly African descent, to mulattos, to even girls who could pass for Italian or Spanish, feel they are discriminated against by the modelling industry there who prefer pale-skinned, northern European looking girls. A lot of these girls originate from the southern states of Brazil which have a lot of German heritage, or perhaps other Europeans who have paler features, light eyes, perhaps light hair. I think Giselle Bundchen is an example. She's German Brazilian and doesn't represent the typical Brazilian. I'm not saying that girls like her shouldn't be considered at all, they are Brazilians too, but they shouldn't get preferential treatment either. I thought Brazilians were more mature than that. The rest of the world thinks the dark, 'exotic' Brazilian look is sexy...is it just the modelling agency or is this attitude widespread in Brazil?

So is Nordic beauty still preferred a lot in Brazil? Maybe they see it as 'exotic'?
It is not Brazil. It is the global demand. Perhaps it shows the dominance of European culture globally. Even in Asia and Africa people lighten their skin and dye their hair.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM

3,973 posts, read 6,778,986 times
Not really.

There are plenty of darker-skinned successful models in Brazil.

One example is Emanuela de Paula:

Moderator cut: image removed

Unfortunately, she doesn't want to marry me...

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM

There is also Gracie Carvalho:

She also refused to marry me

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,923,290 times
Keep the photos coming!!!! lol

Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM

@Malaman

We all know Brazil has plenty of non nordic looking models. The issue here is the poster is trying to paint the preference for white blond models as a Brazilian thing. It is not. The model industry is global and has a preference for white and blondes. Sure there are plenty of women who arent that, but the ones most desired and paid often are.

We can easily say, "Skinny looking models preferred in Brazil." Guess what though? They are preferred everywhere to. Likewise we could say, "tall looking models preferred in Brazil." Etc.

These are not things created by Brazil. It is what people, all over the world, find the most attractive. There have been studies on why this is, and it often has to do with US and European dominance of global culture, and old imperialist views that were brought onto other countries. The industry is diversifying. Some posters like Pancho want to use this to try and paint Brazil as racist. The truth is the industry is kinda racist.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM

195 posts, read 350,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Giselle got her international fame because she got hired by Americans and Europeans. They prefer those that look European because that is their customer base and where most of the money comes from.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
Giselle got her international fame because she got hired by Americans and Europeans. They prefer those that look European because that is their customer base and where most of the money comes from.
This view is held all over the world, even in Africa.

But yeah it is somehow Brazil's fault.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Keep the photos coming!!!! lol

Oh no, I have already drooled enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas