U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM

145 posts, read 215,378 times

Advertisements

I am looking to travel (2014) to Central and South America - money permitting!

I speak a little conversational Spanish, and will soon be going back to lessons, but I am curious if anyone can recommend online resources? Especially 'oral' (should that be 'aural'?), as opposed to text-based.

cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 AM

4,835 posts, read 4,836,564 times
Try YouTube...That's how I learned French for the most part.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM

195 posts, read 297,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
I am looking to travel (2014) to Central and South America - money permitting!

I speak a little conversational Spanish, and will soon be going back to lessons, but I am curious if anyone can recommend online resources? Especially 'oral' (should that be 'aural'?), as opposed to text-based.

cheers!
free lesson here:

Aural and oral mean the same thing in English and Spanish. It's oral.

Watch Spanish TV. Whatever you find interesting. If you don't find it interesting you will drop it like a hot potato. A lot of learning is unconscious. Lessons help but you need to get used to the real world.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

22,829 posts, read 28,990,450 times
Turn the TV to Telemondo and let it run. Best way ever to train your ear to hear the sounds and words.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

32,224 posts, read 33,140,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Turn the TV to Telemondo and let it run. Best way ever to train your ear to hear the sounds and words.
I agree watch the Spanish-speaking TV channels in the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,710,791 times
Barron's CD series, in the "big plastic box." I took Spanish in college, but that's how I learned Portuguese reasonably well. Be warned that there is an accompanying booklet, but the audio part takes over and makes it gel.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,064,929 times
Rosetta Stone is considered to be the best software...however, it is very expensive.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 AM

145 posts, read 215,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
free lesson here:

Aural and oral mean the same thing in English and Spanish. It's oral.

Watch Spanish TV. Whatever you find interesting. If you don't find it interesting you will drop it like a hot potato. A lot of learning is unconscious. Lessons help but you need to get used to the real world.
Thanks Hold on, just that "Spanish oral lessons" brings up various videos that are unhelpful to me on Google

Cheers for the replies all, will look into it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,252,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Rosetta Stone is considered to be the best software...however, it is very expensive.
According to whom? I have used it and would strongly disagree with that, regardless of price. There is little grammar and syntax, no cultural notes, no usage notes, very little that will actually help you become proficient in the language. Nothing to actually help you understand what you're saying and why. Just multiple choice pictures and words. Pictures that are often nonsensical, ambiguous, confusing or culturally irrelevent, and phrases that you will likely never actually need to say. In fact, they use the same pictures for every language. They do not provide the necessary background information for the language regarding the quarks and nuances of a particular language and how these differ from English. They have a Latin America version for Spanish, but Latin America is a very big place. The difference between say, Mexican and Argentinean Spanish are a lot greater than the difference between American and British English.

The whole premise is to learn a language like children do. The problem with this is that you're not a child. That easy button language learning window has already passed. Not to mention that children start learning probably before age 2, usually live in a household with several native speakers, watch TV in that language, and are fully immersed almost the entire time. And it takes them years and years and years to become fluent with a lot of mistakes along the way. They try to act like you don't need books or reading material to learn a language. These tools are necessary to clarify a lot of things and to avoid confusion. There is no easy way for an adult to learn another language, the bottom line is that it takes a hell of a lot of work and dedication.

There are so many free sources on the internet nowadays that it's really not necessary to spend a lot of money on a language program for a popular language like Spanish. There are a lot of really good lessons on youtube. There are some really good books that can be bought for $10. Free TV episodes in Spanish, news in Spanish, discussion forums (wordreference.com), music, free FSI programs, etc. The prices they charge for Rosetta Stone are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. There's just no reason at all that a simple computer program of that quality should cost over $50. How much does Windows 8 cost? ~$100? Now why should Rosetta Stone, a simple computer program with pictures, phrases, and some audio cost 3x as much as an operating system that probably required 1,000x more time and money to produce? A photographer, someone fluent in Spanish and English, and a couple programmers could make Rosetta Stone.

If someone insists on spending a bunch of money the Pimsleur CDs are a lot better in my opnion. If money is no object or someone has access to the program for free, it might be worthwhile to play around with Rosetta Stone, mostly to learn some vocabulary, but unless it's used with other methods it's unlikely to be very successful.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM

559 posts, read 1,207,532 times
I agree with everyone who said to watch Spanish TV.

Some good resources for pronunciation, vocabulary, etc are:

SPANISH VIDEO LESSONS by Catalina Moreno E. - YouTube
The Spanish Blog.com - YouTube
Galician Hunk - YouTube
LEARNING SPANISH - YouTube
Learn Spanish has a lot of free info and tutorials
The Sound Of Spanish | Effective Communication Through Correct Pronunciation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas