Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:04 AM

77 posts, read 132,229 times

Advertisements

Panama is one of the -VERY- few developed countries left that know how to properly treat its women and keep them in their proper place.

Viva Panama!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
I have visited Panama before and it's not much different than every other Latin American country I have visited. From the Dominican Republic to Nicaragua and Colombia to Ecuador, the services and way of life is almost the same. Seems to me you have the Grindo syndrome and expect the country to cater to you, when actually it should be the other way around.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM

439 posts, read 521,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkremy View Post
I have visited Panama before and it's not much different than every other Latin American country I have visited. From the Dominican Republic to Nicaragua and Colombia to Ecuador, the services and way of life is almost the same. Seems to me you have the Grindo syndrome and expect the country to cater to you, when actually it should be the other way around.
Are you sure of this? We, Latinamericans are all different.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
I have been to both Costa Rica and Panama, but only for a short visit exaround a week at each place. I totally found Panama more developed ex. biggermalls and larger buildings. It is interesting reading these commentsbecause it is just a huge reminder that when you opt for a better climate there are usually certain conveniences that Americans and Canadians take for granted. These comments expands to outside of the Latina American countries as a lot of the comments made in the initial post can be applied to the Caribbean and North Africa as well. There are the really nice well kept areas frequented by the wealthy and tourists and then the rest of the country.

As a woman it can be really uncomfortable going about your daily business and having men be so forward. Mind you all men even in these places are not that disrespectful, it tends to be the dead beat losers that really do not have anything better to do with their time. The normal men are usually actually doing something productive. I really enjoy being able to go anywhere throughout my own city day or night alone without any significant concerns about being harassed by other people. Experiences regarding feelings of safety from a man's perspective vs. a women's perspective can be hugely different. There are certain places that I have travelled to with just females and then travelled to with a man and the feelings of safety were completely different because when you have a man with you the really annoying pushy percent of the local male population are not buzzing around you being disrespectful, but if alone or with other females they do not really respect any boundaries.

I did not really find shopping in Panama cheaper with the exception of the Givenchy men's store at the Albrook Mall which happened to be having a really good before Christmas sale. It was really uncomfortable to see all the signs and police walking around the Albrook mall warning people about personal safety. In the mall I had no problems. No one bugged me and it was just like shopping at any other mall back home. Considering what the average person in Panama makes the mall was really expensive. I am sure there must be better shopping in other parts of the country. Shopping in Costa Rica was a joke. I really could not find anything worth buying (low quality for a higher price seemed to be the theme). Most of the people I know from Costa Rica go to the Florida to do major shopping once a year. All that being said I would 100% go back to visit either of these countries. The beaches were really great and the stay was comfortable at the resorts. I was told there are certain areas in Panama that have a good number of retired Canadians living there. It would be much better if there was a really great beach closer to city centre, but one can only dream !

Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have been to both Costa Rica and Panama, but only for a short visit exaround a week at each place. I totally found Panama more developed ex. biggermalls and larger buildings. It is interesting reading these commentsbecause it is just a huge reminder that when you opt for a better climate there are usually certain conveniences that Americans and Canadians take for granted. These comments expands to outside of the Latina American countries as a lot of the comments made in the initial post can be applied to the Caribbean and North Africa as well. There are the really nice well kept areas frequented by the wealthy and tourists and then the rest of the country.

As a woman it can be really uncomfortable going about your daily business and having men be so forward. Mind you all men even in these places are not that disrespectful, it tends to be the dead beat losers that really do not have anything better to do with their time. The normal men are usually actually doing something productive. I really enjoy being able to go anywhere throughout my own city day or night alone without any significant concerns about being harassed by other people. Experiences regarding feelings of safety from a man's perspective vs. a women's perspective can be hugely different. There are certain places that I have travelled to with just females and then travelled to with a man and the feelings of safety were completely different because when you have a man with you the really annoying pushy percent of the local male population are not buzzing around you being disrespectful, but if alone or with other females they do not really respect any boundaries.

I did not really find shopping in Panama cheaper with the exception of the Givenchy men's store at the Albrook Mall which happened to be having a really good before Christmas sale. It was really uncomfortable to see all the signs and police walking around the Albrook mall warning people about personal safety. In the mall I had no problems. No one bugged me and it was just like shopping at any other mall back home. Considering what the average person in Panama makes the mall was really expensive. I am sure there must be better shopping in other parts of the country. Shopping in Costa Rica was a joke. I really could not find anything worth buying (low quality for a higher price seemed to be the theme). Most of the people I know from Costa Rica go to the Florida to do major shopping once a year. All that being said I would 100% go back to visit either of these countries. The beaches were really great and the stay was comfortable at the resorts. I was told there are certain areas in Panama that have a good number of retired Canadians living there. It would be much better if there was a really great beach closer to city centre, but one can only dream !
Actually, there is one right after you pass the America´s bridge, we are talking about 20 minutes from the city center. It is called Veracruz, but most Panamanians only go there on Sundays to cruise around in their cars with loud music, drink some beers and eat fresh fried fish with fried plantains. There is another option which is an island off the Canal waters. It is called Taboga, but you have to take a ferry boat there. It will take you like 45 minutes to travel there.

Do you actually think prices were expensive? Hmmm we think they are okay. Around Christmas you will find a great deal of police in the malls, they are; as you said, warning people about personal safety and for any problems that people may have. Remember, most of us are nice ppl, but you are going to find some bandidos and there are many ppl from other countries who have come to Panama to break the law too.

Last edited by folicure; 10-05-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 7,324 times
Well it is easy to see that one way or another, Panama made an impact on you since you wrote a 10 page essay (at least) on it. My darling, you should come live in New York for a few months, I dare you! lol

Last edited by nybaby40; 04-09-2016 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: incorrect use of parenthesis.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 7,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Actually, there is one right after you pass the America´s bridge, we are talking about 20 minutes from the city center. It is called Veracruz, but most Panamanians only go there on Sundays to cruise around in their cars with loud music, drink some beers and eat fresh fried fish with fried plantains. There is another option which is an island off the Canal waters. It is called Taboga, but you have to take a ferry boat there. It will take you like 45 minutes to travel there.

Do you actually think prices were expensive? Hmmm we think they are okay. Around Christmas you will find a great deal of police in the malls, they are; as you said, warning people about personal safety and for any problems that people may have. Remember, most of us are nice ppl, but you are going to find some bandidos and there are many ppl from other countries who have come to Panama to break the law too.
Nicely done, not for the person who wrote that absurd expectation of what she thought any country this side of the world should be like, but for the sake of other people wanting to visit Panama and reading such angry comments - for them to get the other side of the story and make a decision based on facts not expectations of someone who clearly wasn't able to assimilate the culture.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,283,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post

One of my favorite things to do when in Panama City for a visit is the pop off to Isla Contadora for a few days to escape. Its an easy Ferry ride away and the island is isolated in a way that you can find a beach to yourselves with no hassles. I love the lack of cars on the island (use a golf cart to get around), eating fresh fish at Gerald's and watching the deer walk by. Also just having a beer and sharing the beach with no one but my wife and daughter is awesome.

Not that hard to get away from the city if you look a bit deeper.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,099 times
I agree with the OP's comments. A lot of what he describes is the reality in the Caribbean region of Colombia also which is why I always cringe when people just want to visit the Caribbean region and not other parts of the country which are cleaner as well as more organized. Especially the Paisa region (Medellin, Manizales, Armenia) and the Santander state (Bucaramanga, San Gil).

Apart from north Bogota, the capital is also pretty dirty but the people are also more conservative and not as noisy/party driven. Even as far south as Buenos Aires, Argentina is pretty dirty, a lot of litter around.

However, at the same time there really hasn't been a strong anti-litter campaign as there was in North America and Europe a few decades back. That will come in time. However, the OP only mentions the negatives, there are many positives also that can compensate. I think it's important to be open if moving to another country and not so set in your ways.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 04-09-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I agree with the OP's comments. A lot of what he describes is the reality in the Caribbean region of Colombia also which is why I always cringe when people just want to visit the Caribbean region and not other parts of the country which are cleaner as well as more organized. Especially the Paisa region (Medellin, Manizales, Armenia) and the Santander state (Bucaramanga, San Gil).

Apart from north Bogota, the capital is also pretty dirty but the people are also more conservative and not as noisy/party driven. Even as far south as Buenos Aires, Argentina is pretty dirty, a lot of litter around.

However, at the same time there really hasn't been a strong anti-litter campaign as there was in North America and Europe a few decades back. That will come in time. However, the OP only mentions the negatives, there are many positives also that can compensate. I think it's important to be open if moving to another country and not so set in your ways.
I am sorry but I guess you didn´t understand the op's post, it clearly says Panama not Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas