Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 AM

195 posts, read 350,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I was just having a conversation with a few of my good friends and we're all big Latin America nuts, but for different countries/reasons. One of my friends is all about Mexico and Central America, while I'm totally obsessed with Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela, for example. We each had different ideas on where the region would be in the year 2020. Some of us were more optimistic than others...

My question to you is where you see the region in 2020. Obviously, the region is huge and diverse, but for the countries that interest you, where do you see them and why?
I don't see them very far from where they are now.

The only country in latin America that tops all lists is Chile, so brazilians and Mexicans spear me the drama The others have too many social problems and instability. I think the worst case is Argentina they seem to self destruct and not get their s... together.

Brazil and Mexico have so much poverty and drug violence but they do have large populations, so they probably come second. Mexico has the advantage of being closer to the US, Brazil is closer to other decent economies in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
I don't see them very far from where they are now.

The only country in latin America that tops all lists is Chile, so brazilians and Mexicans spear me the drama The others have too many social problems and instability. I think the worst case is Argentina they seem to self destruct and not get their s... together.

Brazil and Mexico have so much poverty and drug violence but they do have large populations, so they probably come second. Mexico has the advantage of being closer to the US, Brazil is closer to other decent economies in Latin America.
It was recently reported that Peru's GDP has overtaken Chile's this year (first time since the 90's) and they will have the world's 25th largest economy by 2030 and Brazil will be #3 behind China and USA.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM

448 posts, read 1,198,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ecuador has been trashed by IMF policies. That doesn't really matter to the expat communities there, but as far as 2020 goes? Ecuador will still be struggling.
Understand.

Got into Panama and Costa Rica pretty heavilly last night! Ecuador seems too far "out there". While these other two are more our US speed, and have more good potential than Equador, yes?

I'll post later, or search/start a thread on here to do alot more research on just what a "white person" could do for a living to help make ends meet after age 51, decent phys. condition. Is there opprotunity beyond spending up ones nestegg, or running a buisiness from one's computer..........you know, "boots on the ground work".

Any thought's for now?

I'll post it up seperate so's not to stray you nice folks off topic tooooooooooo far , don't want to completely hijack this thread.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 02-24-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
^^^WTF are you talking about?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,699 times
The subject of this thread was not necessarilly, expat and that; understand?

goinforawalknow

Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
It was recently reported that Peru's GDP has overtaken Chile's this year (first time since the 90's) and they will have the world's 25th largest economy by 2030 and Brazil will be #3 behind China and USA.
Really? I didn't hear anything about that as far as Peru goes...
And by all accounts it is expected that the "Big 3" for the 21st Century will be China, USA, and India, with the likes of Mexico and Brazil, while still powerful, DISTANTLY behind.

I still think Mexico has a very bright future. Brighter, I think, than its 'rival' Brazil. Mexico has many built-in advantages (proximity to the US, speaks the same language aas the reason, etc) that Brazil just doesn't have. Brazil has Mexico beat in sheer numbers, however. In the end, I can see Mexico running the show (so to speak) in Central America down to perhaps Peru (Chile has and always will be its own separate entity, as it is one of the most isolated countries in the world), and Brazil handling the likes of Bolivia, Suriname...essential eastern South America especially now that it has become obvious that Argentina is royally screwed (and is the only real contender for control of S. America). Friction might or might not grow, depending on factors.

And I would not call Brazil and Mexico "friends" at all. Partners, sure, but the two have had several rows already and they are also fundamentally different countries in outlook. For example, Mexico is, at the very least, OPEN to the idea of working with the US, while Brazil has its eye more on the EU and China. Mexico is also more open to free market capitalism than Brazil, which has been a source of conflict in the past.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouGaucho View Post
Who cares about GDP? Brasil is number one in Latin America and soon to be a power house, everyone has their eyes on the country, we also receive millions of immigrants throughout Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia and Latin America, many come here looking for jobs, that is why we Brasilians have no business immigrating elsewhere.

Brasil produces many things like airplanes, our own computers, our own cars, our own weapons ect. we are soon to be a power house and there is nothing you can do about it

tell me something about your country? since I know you are Latin American yourself, tell me the things your country has produced, tell me more about their poverty levels, their education system because you do know the best universities in Latin America are located in Brasil? you do know the most important Latin American companies are located in Brasil? rsrsrsrsrsrs I bet your country has thousands of people immigrating to get out, not in Brasil, people immigrate here not the other way around

Forgot to mention many of those middle eastern countries and Venezuela are higher than Brasil in Per Capita thanks to their oil but they are still poor living in slums, it is no secret the poverty in that nation has been increasing year throughout year, per capita is worthless

there are more things but I will leave you with this, we are a mini China, producing and producing things

Who cares about per capita GDP? The over 100 million Brazilians living a fairly difficult life. I don't buy the poverty numbers or the unemployment numbers you see from Brazil, the government is famous for putting out pretty much worthless numbers and everyone in the economic analysis world knows it. They don't count millions of people working in the informal economy or living in informal housing. Mexico does much the same thing, its just accepted practice. Mexico regularly claims just 3-5% of its population is unemployed, but everyone in Mexico knows that is a sham and 25% of the population wishes for a formal job with a living wage. Brazil admits to a little more unemployment, but the situation is still the same.

The debate isn't about what Brazil can and cannot produce. Mexico has the world's richest man, but few Mexicans are proud about it when they cannot get to anything more than a bare existence where they can't send their kids to school and can't afford anything more than improvised housing. The US is home to the best in almost every industry, but those who live near or below poverty levels aren't celebrating. China now has a huge GDP and probably will pass the US in a few decades, but for hundreds of millions living on farms or illegally in the cities holding barely survivable wage jobs there is no reason to get excited about life there.

So be proud of your planes and all your manufactured goodies, but remember for the average person life in Costa Rica and Panama are better than for the average Brazilian. Isn't that more important?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
I don't see much being improved by 2020. Latin America has a long way to go. Brazil is making endeavors, but it still needs to address poverty in Rio's favelas.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 02-25-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't see much being improved by 2020. Latin America has a long way to go. Brazil is making endeavors, but it still needs to address poverty in Rio's favelas.
I think A LOT can happen in less than a decade. Look how the Great Recession, for instance, has influenced the World Order. One day in 1928, for example, changed the world as did September 11th.

Something similarly cataclysmic for the region CAN happen, especially with Brazil using Petrobras to make Bolivia essentially a satellite state, Argentina screwed royally (meaning it's desperate, and desperate countries do desperate things), Mexico have a boom and soon rivaling Brazil as ruler of Latin America, Cuba losing steam and finally admitting this Communist dream is falling apart, and Venezuela still firmly in the hands of a very sick, crazy man.

There is A LOT going on in the region, and with 2014 and 2016, the world will be focused there, making it all the more stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas