Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I will never understand why people come to such places looking for a touche or Euro/Whitening. Why cant a places remain untouched--natural. Why do the natives have to have traces of white around them.
Thank you!

There is this great quote made by (now deceased) movie legend Joan Crawford where she says:
If you want to see the girl next door, go next door.

If you want Europe, GO to Europe! Don't go traipsing around the New World searching for Europe. The fact of the matter is that most of the New World is a mixture of people, and these people, from New Yorkers to Porteños, are from the New World, and their phenotypes and looks reflect that.

Appreciate Havana BECAUSE it is mixed. Don't overlook it for that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,868,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If there is any city in Latin America where the inhabitants would have you thinking you're in Europe based on phenotypes, which one is it?

I believe Buenos Aires or Havana. These two cities have a lot of residents who would easily blend in any Northern European city.
I know Buenos Aires likes to consider itself the Paris of Latin America, but when I was there the people didnt really look European. They were mostly short, black haired, brown eyed, and olive skinned. They looked like Silicians more than they did Germans.

If you want to see some very Nordic looking Europeans go to Caixas do Sul or Noiva Hamburgo in Southern Brazil.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM

10,038 posts, read 14,907,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know Buenos Aires likes to consider itself the Paris of Latin America, but when I was there the people didnt really look European. They were mostly short, black haired, brown eyed, and olive skinned. They looked like Silicians more than they did Germans.

If you want to see some very Nordic looking Europeans go to Caixas do Sul or Noiva Hamburgo in Southern Brazil.
That's because most Argentineans descend from Spanish and (southern) Italian immigrants.

I find it interesting that some people would say that the people of Buenos Aires don't look European, when they are among the most European people in this hemisphere and they look just like southern Europeans. Unless you're implying that southern Europeans are not Europeans, but then I will have to ask why do you think that? Hm...

There are places in southern Brazil that received a massive number of German immigrants. But, I still think a nordic European is not more European than a southern European. To me they are all Europeans.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM

210 posts, read 565,214 times
But there are also a lot of natives/mestizos in BsAs due to immigration (and Argentina does have its own mestizo population).

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM

10,038 posts, read 14,907,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
But there are also a lot of natives/mestizos in BsAs due to immigration (and Argentina does have its own mestizo population).
Paris

Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM

37,100 posts, read 39,303,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
That's because most Argentineans descend from Spanish and (southern) Italian immigrants.

I find it interesting that some people would say that the people of Buenos Aires don't look European, when they are among the most European people in this hemisphere and they look just like southern Europeans. Unless you're implying that southern Europeans are not Europeans, but then I will have to ask why do you think that? Hm...

There are places in southern Brazil that received a massive number of German immigrants. But, I still think a nordic European is not more European than a southern European. To me they are all Europeans.
A lot of Argentineans and Portenos are of Northern Italian descent as well as from other parts of Europe, so there's a fair amount of people who look less southern European though by no means the majority.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM

83 posts, read 517,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Costa Rica has almost no indigenous people and are mostly very European in looks, but there are quite a few Nicaraguans and they add a darker element to the population.
Costa Ricans do not look very European, they look no different from Mexicans you do not travel much do you?

Costa Rica Chronicles- Excerpt Diez- Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas