U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,085,065 times

Advertisements

If there is any city in Latin America where the inhabitants would have you thinking you're in Europe based on phenotypes, which one is it?

I believe Buenos Aires or Havana. These two cities have a lot of residents who would easily blend in any Northern European city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM

497 posts, read 873,687 times
I'd have to respectfully disagree about Havana. That capital may not be 'black', but it certainly is Mulatto. Way too dark for any Northern European City.

I would say to look at the major cities in Southern Brazil. Cities like, Florianópolis or Blumenau in the state of Santa Catarina are very similar to Northern European cities. In fact, there are people living in the Southern Interior whose first languages are German, Italian, or Polish! Very interesting.

Buenos Aires for sure. In architecture and demographics.

In fact, I would say your best bet for a city that is most similar to the demographics you're looking for are to be found in the "Southern Cone" of the South American Continent. Central America has too large of an indigenous mix. Same with the Andes Countries (Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, etc.). The Caribbean down to Brazil (and a smudge of Uruguay) has a history of slavery, and with it the black influence. Way too much for any N. European city.

Though, I will say, as far as architecture goes, cities like São Luis, Recife, Havana, Santo Domingo, or Salvador da Bahia all have marvelous colonial architecture that gives the cities the looks of cities like Amsterdam (Recife), Lisbon (Salvador da Bahia), or Madrid (Santo Domingo).

I hope I answered your question.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM

344 posts, read 867,341 times
Buenos Aires and Montevideo

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,085,065 times
Yeah, I saw some still images of Buenos Aires. The cityscape looks exactly like an European destination.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,168 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree about Havana. That capital may not be 'black', but it certainly is Mulatto. Way too dark for any Northern European City.
From a demographic perspective this is true, but architecturally Havana is like a European pearl in the Antilles. Further to the west of Habana Vieja and Centro and those areas, the city takes a very strong American feel. It is an elegant city overall, if only tired looking and at times depressing, due to the decay.

Quote:
Though, I will say, as far as architecture goes, cities like São Luis, Recife, Havana, Santo Domingo, or Salvador da Bahia all have marvelous colonial architecture that gives the cities the looks of cities like Amsterdam (Recife), Lisbon (Salvador da Bahia), or Madrid (Santo Domingo).
I wouldn't compare Santo Domingo to Madrid. The colonial part of Santo Domingo feels more like a small town in Spain, but I wouldn't say it looks quite like Madrid.

For example, it feels Spanish but it doesn't really feels like Madrid in front of the Palace of Christopher Columbus:

This gives you a general view of what a good part of the colonial part looks like; again, very Spanish but not quite Madrid:

Here is the oldest cathedral in the Americas and while the cathedral itself is very nice with its Gothic and Renaissance inspired architecture, the surroundings look like Spain, but not quite Madrid:

Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM

497 posts, read 873,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
From a demographic perspective this is true, but architecturally Havana is like a European pearl in the Antilles. Further to the west of Habana Vieja and Centro and those areas, the city takes a very strong American feel. It is an elegant city overall, if only tired looking and at times depressing, due to the decay.

I wouldn't compare Santo Domingo to Madrid. The colonial part of Santo Domingo feels more like a small town in Spain, but I wouldn't say it looks quite like Madrid.

For example, it feels Spanish but it doesn't really feels like Madrid in front of the Palace of Christopher Columbus:

This gives you a general view of what a good part of the colonial part looks like; again, very Spanish but not quite Madrid:

Here is the oldest cathedral in the Americas and while the cathedral itself is very nice with its Gothic and Renaissance inspired architecture, the surroundings look like Spain, but not quite Madrid:
I agree with you! Architecturally, Havana is quite European. Demographically, not so much.

And I see what your saying. It is indeed more similar to smaller spanish areas.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Definitely NOT Havana, unless you mean Paris and London, as both have a lot of black and mixed-race people.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM

5,081 posts, read 9,089,677 times
Costa Rica has almost no indigenous people and are mostly very European in looks, but there are quite a few Nicaraguans and they add a darker element to the population.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM

211 posts, read 477,660 times
Costa Rica isn't as white as people think. I think your best bet is southern brazil, or smaller cities in Uruguay, Argentina, Cuba, and Chile. Even Montevideo, Uruguay (the whitest LA country) has a lot of mulattos, and some mestizos. Buenos Aires and Santiago have a lot of mestizos/natives (immigrant or not, they're still there), and Havana has a lot of blacks/mulattos.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 PM

261 posts, read 439,666 times
I will never understand why people come to such places looking for a touche or Euro/Whitening. Why cant a places remain untouched--natural. Why do the natives have to have traces of white around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or