Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM

9,834 posts, read 14,688,046 times

Advertisements

A few more examples:

Ecuadorian Spanish

Chilean Spanish
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM

585 posts, read 962,368 times
I might suggest Mexico as sort of a standby. I'm sure there are regions there to wander off and do a little sight-seeing without hearing a lick of English. Then again, I wouldn't completely know. I wouldn't mind taking trips there myself.

On a side note, you should check out this website called memrise.com. It's a flashcard based way to learn a language or review it. they also use things called mems which are supposed to be mnemonic devices. I personally use the site to review the Spanish I've already learned. It's a pretty good tool if you have time to spare.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,377,611 times
Since you live in NYC you can take advantage of two things. One is to get to know the Spanish speakers who live in your city. There are plenty of cultural organization etc formed by Dominicas, Cubans, People from Puerto Rico and even a fairly large Spanish community. You can also afford yourself of some very excellent Spanish language classes at the Spanish Government's Instituto Cervantes at 211 East 49th Street, (212) 308-7720
Spanish courses. Instituto Cervantes New York.

I notice you are living in Brooklyn. The institute even gives classes in your area. If Castillian Spanish is not for you then I am sure other countries have culture centers offering Spanish language classes in NYC. Classroom study IMO is far superior to individual study at home. It puts the student in close contact with live speakers.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,512,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Jesse44, I went to Granada (and did a tour of the cocoa plantation), Masaya (including the volcano), Isla de Ometepe, San Juan del Sur, and Managua (for an evening). It was an amazing and inexpensive trip. It convinced me to learn Spanish. Ometepe was the best. Where did you go?

Anyway, whichever country I choose, there is a huge selection of where to go within it, but I'm looking for something in particular (somewhere that has a feel of Ometepe, but more developed) so I need help with suggestions of specific towns or cities. I live in NYC, I don't really want to go to a huge city that is the equivalent of where I live because there will be so many tourists and English speakers. I'd prefer a place with fewer tourists, but that's still safe and has good places to eat (and I'm vegan). So does anyone have any specific suggestions?
Cool. Managua, Matagalpa, Granada, San Juan Del Sur with many side trips of course. I meant to visit Ometepe but never made it there and I've been really kicking myself for it. Will have to return one day.

You can probably look for language exchange pretty easily seeing as you live in NYC. In the meantime anyways. Check Couchsurfing groups?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 AM

83 posts, read 515,923 times
I will suggest Mexico, learning the Mexican neutral accent is the best in Latin America, very easy to understand and easy on the ear, the Mexican neutral would be the equivalent of the American neutral accent which is the one that is spoken in the Midwest, same accent used to broadcast live events.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 AM

83 posts, read 515,923 times
American neutral accent, considered the best and very easy to understand

Accent Tag! (Midwestern) - YouTube

Mexican neutral accent, same as the American neutral accent but in Spanish

Entrevista exclusiva de Bárbara Mori - YouTube

Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM

9,834 posts, read 14,688,046 times
Here are a few examples of the Caribbean accents. I include Venezuela here because that country truly has more things in common with the rest of the Spanish Caribbean than it does with many other Latin American countries (their racial mixture is much more white/black, their speech pattern is much closer to those of the Spanish Caribbean, even their body language says Spanish Caribbean.)

Puerto Rican Spanish

Cuban Spanish

Dominican Spanish

Venezuelan Spanish

Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM

145 posts, read 489,450 times
Check out Fluenz. It's the best program that I have found to learn Spanish. The company was started by Cornell graduate Sonia Gil(a native Spanish speaker- and a gorgeous one at that). She really helps you understand the material. I find Fluez to be far superior than Rosetta Stone's software.

Fluenz - Learn Spanish, Learn French, Learn Italian, Learn Chinese with Fluenz

Sonia also has a neat little webtv show called, "Sonia's Travels", where she travels around different parts of the world, immerses herself in the culture. She speaks 5 languages as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,576,285 times
A few times I've heard that Colombia is the best place to learn Spanish..It's also kind of seems like the hot spot to be right now.

I'd also recommend Pimsleur cd's for learning basic spanish..My local library had it. It was the only thing that worked for me.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM

467 posts, read 1,862,173 times
Thanks for the continued input!

For me, as an American, visiting Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean almost seem too easy. As well, Costa Rica and Guatemala are quite popular these days. I've never been to S.A. before, so it's more appealing. I do want to go somewhere where the Spanish is clear and where I will pick up a good accent, and where it's safe.

In South America, I think Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Colombia seem like the best fits. Here are a few problems: 1. Climate -- Ideally, I'd be somewhere where the temperature is in the 70s and 80s during the day, and 2. Population -- Most of the Spanish schools are in large cities, which I'd prefer not to be in because they are too touristy. Can anyone recommend towns in any of these countries that might resemble Granada, Nicaragua, that are also very safe for a gringo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas