U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,291 times

Advertisements

Since i was a little kid my two biggest dreams ever is to move to the US and be a teenager in the US which includes High School, Experience the College life and so on.
Every day these thoughts going through my mind, and every secound im thinking about this, and i can get really get sad sometimes when i realise that i might not get these chances to experience a teenage life as an American in America.
Today i live in Sweden and i am 17 years old but turning 18 next month, and this is the last year for me to go a year abroad on a High School Year in the US, and i would do everything to get that chance, but it costs alot of money, and i just have like 1 week from now, might shorter than that, to go on an interview for a High School year.
I would basically do anything to get the chance to experience High School and College and a life as a teenager the USA, and if i had the money, i wouldn't doubt to go!

So i think you Americans should be proud of what you have and of High School and College.

I love my life, and i love where i live, but my two biggest dream is to Study and live in the USA, not only as a Teenager but also for the rest of my life.

This has always been my dreams, and something i basically think about every day.

Well, be proud of High School, and college and what you experience there!

Hopefully i might get the chance to go to college, but i would love to go in High School!

P.S, i love americans!

Big and lovely regards,
SweToUS
Rate this post positively

Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,707,903 times
I enjoyed reading you. I'm an Euro guy too and when I was a teen I dreamed to emigrate to the US, unfortunately my family talked me into abandoning the idea ("too risky, don't ask for any help if ever you run into trouble, here at home it's so much "better" and "old world civilized", etc). I don't know if I have regrets given the current crisis, I organized my life differently, journeying to the US when I could only for fun and vacations. or visiting friends or relatives.
But I must warn you : here on this forum unfortunately you will meet many contributors (some of them with patent issues) who will "rain on your parade" and talk their own country (the US) down. I made the experience myself, and it's sad, given the fact that this country has such a huge potential. Don't let that distract you or demoralize you. I sincerely hope your dream will come true!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

261 posts, read 463,032 times
Hummm my ex was Swedish. Lots of fun. But your kind of on the wrong forum. This really inst America America. They aren't like real Americans they speak in some other languages (look around) and im not sure of what ever else. This just happens to be on the same map. But my best advice would be to really narrow down what part of teh US you want to see and why. Born and raised here in Cali and once you travel you willl see that every state is DIFFERENT. There is no other city in the world like NY. California was one of the last states bulidt so its bulidt different. Different looks feels and cultures. Your young. Go to college with SCHOLARSHIPS and Financial Aid and transfer over.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

25,058 posts, read 24,792,515 times
Go into university, study a worthwhile degree and see if you can study abroad a year here in the US while paying Swedish tuition rates. This will be a good preview of life here in the US. Good luck!

PS: Don't limit yourself to Florida, California, or New York City whatever you do.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,966,398 times
In my state, Minnesota; we have alot of people with Swedish ancestry. in some small towns you can find Swedish gift shops. and alot of people here would love to live in Sweden.

Do you plan on going to a university in the United States?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,346,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweToUs View Post
Hopefully i might get the chance to go to college, but i would love to go in High School!
Out of curiosity, what is it about the American high-school experience that you find so appealing, compared to your experience in Sweden?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM

13,581 posts, read 7,795,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweToUs View Post
P.S, i love americans!
I like Sweden, too. I think you'll have more opportunities to study abroad in college/university. As for living here on a permanent basis, unfortunately I think you'll legal immigration quite difficult , unless you happen find an American citizen to marry or something like that.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 7,291 times
I just love They way High school is in America, the sports, the school spirits, all the opportunities, and they way the school system is built, it's so American.
I have always loved America, because it is america!

Well I really want to study there, hopefully college!
Maybe if I do a au pair year I might find a girlfriend to marry<3

P.S I just love how positive you all are about this and really helping me out, and coming up with ideas!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,707,903 times
I like your attitude, SweTous, but (I'm telling you this as an "old hand" on this forum) I'm afraid you will mainly meet on USCity Data Americans who bash their own country. Sad but true. Don't ask me why they have so many issues with their own country since I'm European like you (and Europe is far from perfect) I have a hard time understanding some anti American stances coming from Americans.It sounds ... a bit odd.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM

210 posts, read 345,667 times
And in NY they speak only English? lol the Americas as a whole are very mixed the only difference is the language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Hummm my ex was Swedish. Lots of fun. But your kind of on the wrong forum. This really inst America America. They aren't like real Americans they speak in some other languages (look around) and im not sure of what ever else. This just happens to be on the same map. But my best advice would be to really narrow down what part of teh US you want to see and why. Born and raised here in Cali and once you travel you willl see that every state is DIFFERENT. There is no other city in the world like NY. California was one of the last states bulidt so its bulidt different. Different looks feels and cultures. Your young. Go to college with SCHOLARSHIPS and Financial Aid and transfer over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.