U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM

320 posts, read 528,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Upon my many travels to Latin America I have come across a lot of different accents. Each country has a different accent from the other and each one is really unique.

I have to say though that my favorite for some reason is the Chilean accent. I don't know what it is about it but it just has a witty tone to it like everything they say is really funny almost sarcastic. If I had to describe it to English speakers it would be the equivalent to Cockney Rhyming Slang or Irish. Chile itself reminded me very much of Latino version of England in a sense too.
Second fav is the Argentine accent and then the Colombian accent which is very pure and smooth. Probably the smoothest and easiest to understand of the Latin world.

The ones I did not like were the Caribbean ones like Dominican or Cuban or Puerto Rican. Something about it was too fast, too wordy. Just too much.

Central Mexican Spanish like the kind spoken by Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna is really good too. I like it when the Spanish has its own character and full of witty slang. It makes me work to understand the language.

Anyone else?
All accents have charm, excluding the loud ones. They know who they are.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,573,317 times
Quote:
As Spanish is a distant second language for me, learning it in school, I am still new to all the accents but I have picked up on the differences pretty well.

Objectively as I can be, or was anyone can be, how do people not find the Chilean accent just the best? It's so comical and has a ring to it that I just find witty and whimsical.

If I were to give it an equivalent in English it would like the English or Irish accent of the Latin American world.

Has anyone seen the movie NO with Gael Garcia Bernal? Gael does a good job portraying the Chilean accent and it's wonderful.

It lacks the pretention of the Argentinean accent, which for some reason people find really great and I do too, but it's not nearly as witty with a razor sharp jab as the Chilean. I remember hearing two friends, one Chilean and one Argentinean, go at it and the Chilean just skewered the Argentinean in a vocal ribbing. Made the other Latino just laugh their pants off.

For anyone that doesn't speak Spanish in here this is how I would best describe the variations in accents by comparing them to their English-language equivalent.

Colombians - Straight pure English from Midwest America, no accent. Like an anchorman from a television news station.

Argentinean - Like a recently arrived Italian immigrant who has learned English pretty well. Could well be an Italian American accent.

Chilean - English accent ranging from as nice as Pierce Brosnan (I know he's Irish) to as cockney as the guys from Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Some of the more working class Chileans can sound really cockney like My Fair Lady almost.

Mexican - Literally the accent is seen in the Latin American world as English is seen in the South of the United States. It can range from hillbilly Norteno ranchero to a nice crisp Southern barely noticeable accent in Mexico DF. It's also pretty witty and playful sounding accent. I like it a lot.

Cuban, DR, PR - Because of the strong Afro-Latino influence I say that it sounds a lot like a cross between African American and Jamaican/Trinidad. I mean it sounds like the rest of the Caribbean only in Spanish. Essentially, they're all very similar people only that they speak different languages.
Colombians sounding like the anchorman on TV? did you watch the video I gave you at all?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM

8,070 posts, read 5,871,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do these women have different accents? As someone who doesn't know Espanol, I can't tell!

Primer Impacto - Cote de Pablo de la serie de televisión NCIS visitó el estudio de Primer Impacto - YouTube
Yes but their accents are rather neutral. It's hard to figure out accents if you have limited exposure.

The host sounds Caribbean, to me most likely Puerto Rican. The Actress to me sounded South American but I couldn't tell she was from Chile. I remember the actress from her "Control" days, I didn't know she was the woman from NCIS.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,573,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What is "DF"?
DF stand for districto federal or in english the federal district which is mexico city.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:05 PM

8,070 posts, read 5,871,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Colombians sounding like the anchorman on TV? did you watch the video I gave you at all?
I would love to see the Medellin Ganster from your video @8:35 as an anchorman. That was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
and not all colombian spanish is the same just watch this video.

Colombian Spanish Accents - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM

606 posts, read 1,015,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Personally I can’t withstand the Caribbean accents, it sound loud and is hard to understand.
Just think about reciting a love poem with that accent.

colobians dont sound caribean to me, unless they are from places with a large black population.
Depends from what part of Colombia they're from.
A colombian costeño from the Caribbean coast (Cartagena, Barranquilla, etc) will speak with a caribbean accent.
While a colombian from the interior (Bogotá, Cali, Manizales, etc ) will speak with the region's accent.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM

606 posts, read 1,015,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think Argentinian accent is like speaking Spanish in Italian accent ?

I didn't know there are different accents ( I thought it's only Argentinians that speak differently . I love South American Spanish ( well mostly Mexico I suppose ) as it's very soft spoken not like Spanish Spanish, quite hard to understand as it is a bit slang.
Yes.

This is due to the large italian migration to Argentina (as well as Uruguay) that took place starting the mid XIX century. Italians incorporated a lot of their spoken language to everyday spanish spoken at the time and the end result is what we hear when "rioplatense" is spoken.

By the way, I have had the pleasure of conversing in spanish with "pinoys/as" (filipinos/as) friends from Cavite and Zamboanga and I compare it to spoken Castillian..."Chavacano" maybe?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,160,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
All accents have charm, excluding the loud ones. They know who they are.

I agree. I enjoy listening to the different accents and trying to figure out where they are from.

I am a Southern white American (Northern Florida), I have a Bachelor Degree in Spanish so I am more or less fluent in Spanish. In this part of the US we have lots of Puerto Rican and Cubans so my Spanish sounds very much Caribbean. ( not to be boastful but I have been told I have a really good accent. Native Spanish speakers can tell I am American but I sound like my parents are from Latin America.)

I had a professor who was from Uruguay and she lived many years in California and when she first came to Florida she said she found lots of similarities between the Southern Cone Spanish and Carribean Spanish. Granted Cuba and PR people speak much faster and The Southern Cone is heavily influenced by Italian. She thought the similarities were because Cuba and PR along with the Southern Cone remained part of the Spanish empire the longest.

I have the hardest time understanding Mexicans. Mexican Spanish is sing-songy and I enjoy the sound of it. I have a hard time with the 'vos' of the Southern Cone

I think that because the Southern US, like Cuba, PR and DR had a large population of African slaves in colonial times there is a similarity in the rhythm of Southern accents in the US (and African American English in the rest of the US) and Caribbean Spanish. I have heard people speaking but not really able to understand the words, just the rhythm and I at first thought they were speaking Spanish.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Colombian is regarded as the standard? By whom? Where do you get that crap from?

someone just trying to make a point. Here in the US we say that people from the Midwest has no accent. But everyone has an accent.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
She's a beautiful Brazilian lady! It's a tough call because they are Latino but not technically Hispanic. But Portugal is in Hispanola where the term came from?!

She's Latina though. A white Latina.

Some would say that Portuguese and Spanish are dialects of the same language. ( they are closer than Mandarin and Cantonese)

The tern 'Hispanic' is a creation of the US Government in the 1970s. I get annoyed when someone uses the says something like "what race are you black, white or Hispanic" Hispanic is not a race but more precisely an linguistic term. Hispanics can be of any race. ( i.e. Lauren Velez ( from 'Dexter') or Alberto Fujimori( former president of Peru))

I remember reading some article bemoaning the fact that the cast of the movie "Alive" was "too white". They were from Uruguay not Guatemala or Dominican Republic. There ancestors were not Native Americans or African Slaves but from Italy, Spain and the British Isles) And on the same line Galicia is one of the 7 Celtic nations. Most Americans think that all of Latin America is Mexico or Cuba with spicy food, salsa dancing and mariachi bands.

The Roman Province of Hispania was the entire Iberian Peninsula so I would say that a Brazilian would be 'hispanic'. French Canadians could be considered Latino could they not? but not Hispanic. My friend has a mother from Brazil he considers himself Hispanic for census purposes

Last edited by jwolfer; 06-26-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas