U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,587 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

Are Brazilian cities like Florianopolis, Niteroi, Santos/Sao Vicente, and Vitoria safer than Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo? How about Recife or Fortaleza?

Within Rio, are Barra da Tijuca and other neighbourhoods in the far southwest suburbs safer than Copacabana or Ipanema?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Lakes by the Bay, FL (for now)
986 posts, read 3,455,899 times
Reputation: 537
Within Rio, Barra nowadays is actually slightly unsafer than the Leblon/Ipanema/Copacabana round of areas in the South Zone. I live part-time in Arpoador (the area around where Ipanema ends and Copacabana begins), never had any sort of issues. Only felt unsafe in Downtown (which mostly still has the loads of issues that plagued it since decades) and Botafogo (it was a dark street though - but fine, not that unsafe really). Tijuca is fine nowadays and posting crime rates nearly as good as Copacabana, you can live cheaper there, still nearly as safe, and it mostly looks like Copacabana - just without the beach. From near and northwards of Meier it starts to get rough - and also north of Jacarepagua (neighborhood just north of Barra) gets bad real quick.

Generally the safest places are Gavea, Jardim Botanico and Urca. But they're very expensive. Catete and Gloria in the South Zone are below avg., wouldn't recommend. It's cheaper but not worth it, it resembles too much parts of Downtown (Lapa and Castelo that is.)

Niteroi is having problems but mostly fine though - just its north zone and the areas near Sao Goncalo are rougher - generally, few exceptions.

The worst cities (homicide rate wise) are noted here, there's a chart near the end of the article: 14 das 50 cidades mais violentas do mundo estão no Brasil, aponta estudo; Veja a lista - Notícias - Cotidiano - Administradores.com

This one is state by state: Folha.com - Cotidiano - Taxa de homicdio no Brasil mais do que dobra em 30 anos - 14/12/2011 (also, chart at the end of the article - both pages are in Portuguese, but you'll have no problems reading them even if you don't speak Portuguese.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,562 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Reputation: 1562
I live in Fortaleza, and it's a relatively safe city.

There is crime, specially in the poorer periferic areas.

But it's very rare to see any cases here of people who are not involved with criminal gangs being murdered. In 99% of murders the victims are people involved with criminal gangs.

Tourists and visitors are very rarely molested by criminals. Cases of tourists getting robbed are very rare in Fortaleza. And the most touristic areas have a good number of men from the "Tourism Police" squad (BPTur), to prevent any crimes.

But it's not recommended for people who are not familiar with the city to make tours alone on unknown parts of the city, without advising from locals who know the areas to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,587 times
Reputation: 307
So tourists/visitors are more likely to get robbed or worse in Rio de Janeiro than in Fortaleza (or for that matter, in Florianopolis)?

Are there any Tourism Police in places like Rio as well? It sounds like the Barra da Tijuca area is about as safe as the Copacabana/Ipanema area?

And is Niteroi generally safer than Barra da Tijuca or Copacabana/Ipanema?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,562 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
So tourists/visitors are more likely to get robbed or worse in Rio de Janeiro than in Fortaleza (or for that matter, in Florianopolis)?

Are there any Tourism Police in places like Rio as well? It sounds like the Barra da Tijuca area is about as safe as the Copacabana/Ipanema area?

And is Niteroi generally safer than Barra da Tijuca or Copacabana/Ipanema?

Well, I'm not a specialist in the current situation of Rio, since I didn't visit Rio in the past 5 years, but I certainly know about many more cases of tourists being robbed in Rio than in Fortaleza.

Tourists/visitors are rarely robbed in Fortaleza. The most touristic areas of the city have a good presence of the Tourism Police (BPTur), preventing any incidents.

Fortaleza in general is a relatively safe city in most areas, specially during day light hours. Crime in Fortaleza is more usual at night. But only in certain areas. Locals can advise visitors about the places that should be avoided.

I'm sure that at least 99,5% of people who visited Fortaleza last year enjoyed the city without any incidents, without any robberies or attempts of robbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal
731 posts, read 844,587 times
Reputation: 307
I'm asking, among other reasons, because I'm trying to figure out what would be the equivalent in Brazil of a Miami/South Florida or a Gold Coast (in Queensland, Australia), in the sense of being a very popular beach resort destination for winter sunseekers and retirees alike, for the sake of those from a hypothetically wealthier Argentina who would travel to Brazil in the winter the same way that northern North Americans go to Florida or southern Australians go to Queensland (in the tropical half of Australia). My first and long-time instinct would be Rio de Janeiro, since that is the home of famous beaches like Copacabana and Ipanema and it has about the same winter temperatures as South Florida. An alternative could be nearby Niteroi or Buzios/Cabo Frio, which are, I assume, safer than Rio. On the other hand, maybe Florianopolis (also safer than Rio) could assume that role, since it has about the same winter temperatures as Gold Coast in Queensland and even shares just about the same latitude, and is closer to Argentina than Rio is. (Then again, both Gold Coast and Florianopolis have peak seasons in the summer, not winter.)


Another reason why I was asking is because I know that retirees who would relocate to a place like Brazil from Argentina, for either just the winter or year-round, would want to seriously consider safety and security. And I know that in general, Rio isn't too safe, but that some areas are much safer than others. Although, I suppose, it wouldn't be any worse than when Americans move to Mexico for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Lakes by the Bay, FL (for now)
986 posts, read 3,455,899 times
Reputation: 537
I actually am in South Florida currently. I don't know what would be the equivalent of it - but comparing it to Rio; Rio would be the Miami-Dade while Niteroi would be Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale area). But, generally I think it would be Fortaleza the equivalent, I've been there one time for a while and my mom is from there. It's mostly nice, and generally safe - people are more down to earth and humble too, like MalaMan said in another thread. Cost of living is definitely better. But I don't have the specs there really - neighborhood-wise. I know that Aldeota and Meireles are great areas and that Praia do Futuro is kind of Fortaleza's equivalent of Recreio (area just to the west of Barra - similar neighborhood safety-wise and aspect-wise).

The weather in South Florida and Rio is pretty similar, the main difference is that in Rio there are no hurricane issues and tornadoes basically never go down there. Also, generally the summer and the winter are a little bit more extremes (that is, the winter has colder temps. than here, and in the summer is hotter).

Safety is fine (Rio included), the main thing is that the media exaggerates things to seem like it's the end of the world or somethin'. Most of the mainstream media of Brazil and the U.S. are both rubbish, in my opinion. You don't get the facts, just things they pick up and exaggerated it 10x times to get their rating up, etc.

Also Florianopolis is not as safe as it once was, but, again, totally fine.

Back to Rio, I'd say quality of life and safety varies like that (from area to area - from 1st tier to 6th - all fine, nice, safe areas): 1st - Gavea, Urca, Leblon, Jardim Botanico and Lagoa / 2nd - Ipanema, Sao Conrado, and Camboinhas and Itacoatiara (last two in Niteroi) / 3rd - Copacabana, Arpoador, Leme and Humaita / 4th - Barra and Flamengo, and Icarai in Niteroi / 5th - Recreio, Botafogo, Laranjeiras, and most of Inga (Niteroi) / 6th - Tijuca, Largo do Machado area, Freguesia (good neighborhood just northeast of Barra), most of Vila Isabel and most of Grajau, lastly Jardim Icarai of Niteroi.

And my advice, as always; use a load of common sense, be aware of your surroundings, local knowledge and street smarts - using these tools I've never been victim of any crime in my life - even though I went 3 times to a favela in Rio, went through the worst areas of Miami, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
113 posts, read 356,033 times
Reputation: 98
All of Brasil can be very dangerous. I live in Rio, retired. Watching local news every night is like NY in the 1970s. Some teenage punk kid tried robbing a woman of $25 Reais, she had no money so he lit her on fire. Hideous crimes in Brasil - every night. call your local Satelite or cable TV provider, add O Globo to your plan and watch the News. All of SP crime is way up. Last few years, Brasil got scary expensive therefore locals can't cope so they rob for money, to survive. I'm retired here about 3 years and looking to leave. The island of Floripa is fairly safe, so is PA and Curitiba. In the NE, I think Fortaleza is the safest city there. Frankly, I don't recommend Brasil anymore. The world is a huge place with so many destinations safer and cheaper than Brasil.
Be Safe !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,562 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai Frente View Post
All of Brasil can be very dangerous. I live in Rio, retired. Watching local news every night is like NY in the 1970s. Some teenage punk kid tried robbing a woman of $25 Reais, she had no money so he lit her on fire. Hideous crimes in Brasil - every night. call your local Satelite or cable TV provider, add O Globo to your plan and watch the News. All of SP crime is way up. Last few years, Brasil got scary expensive therefore locals can't cope so they rob for money, to survive. I'm retired here about 3 years and looking to leave. The island of Floripa is fairly safe, so is PA and Curitiba. In the NE, I think Fortaleza is the safest city there. Frankly, I don't recommend Brasil anymore. The world is a huge place with so many destinations safer and cheaper than Brasil.
Be Safe !!

I don't think that all major cities in Brazil are as dangerous as Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo...

The major cities that are smaller than Rio and São Paulo are way safer....

Also, it's a fact that crime in Brazil is over-reported in the local news. There's kind of an "obsession" of the news channels with crime. It drives up the ratings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,562 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I'm asking, among other reasons, because I'm trying to figure out what would be the equivalent in Brazil of a Miami/South Florida or a Gold Coast (in Queensland, Australia), in the sense of being a very popular beach resort destination for winter sunseekers and retirees alike, for the sake of those from a hypothetically wealthier Argentina who would travel to Brazil in the winter the same way that northern North Americans go to Florida or southern Australians go to Queensland (in the tropical half of Australia). My first and long-time instinct would be Rio de Janeiro, since that is the home of famous beaches like Copacabana and Ipanema and it has about the same winter temperatures as South Florida. An alternative could be nearby Niteroi or Buzios/Cabo Frio, which are, I assume, safer than Rio. On the other hand, maybe Florianopolis (also safer than Rio) could assume that role, since it has about the same winter temperatures as Gold Coast in Queensland and even shares just about the same latitude, and is closer to Argentina than Rio is. (Then again, both Gold Coast and Florianopolis have peak seasons in the summer, not winter.)


Another reason why I was asking is because I know that retirees who would relocate to a place like Brazil from Argentina, for either just the winter or year-round, would want to seriously consider safety and security. And I know that in general, Rio isn't too safe, but that some areas are much safer than others. Although, I suppose, it wouldn't be any worse than when Americans move to Mexico for retirement.

Argentina is not that richer than Brazil...

In the 90's, when their currency was pegged to the dollar, there were swarms of Argentineans in the beaches of Santa Catarina state in Brazil.

Today, with the harder times in Argentina, there are way less Argentineans. But their prefered destination is still Florianopolis and the state of Santa Catarina.

Here in Fortaleza we get many tourists from the state of São Paulo in July, that is the coldest month of the year in São Paulo, and a month of school vacations for the kids.

The following month, August, is the month when Fortaleza gets more European tourists, specially from Portugal, Spain and Italy.

But the true "high season" for tourism in Fortaleza is in the months of December and January, when most Brazilians use to get vacations from their jobs (and are also two months of school vacations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top