Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

What about Christopher Reid "kid" from the dance/rap group "kid n play"? I always considered him white.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What about Christopher Reid "kid" from the dance/rap group "kid n play"? I always considered him white.
He's Jamaican and Irish. Father is Jamaican and mother Irish(American). He's viewed as more black in the U.S I guess.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
If this is the guy you're talking about:

http://www.whudat.com/news/images/wi...opher-reid.jpg

http://ronetheboxhouston.files.wordp...ceshot-med.jpg

I don't know how he would be viewed in Haiti, but in most islands he will either be seen as mixed or simply as white.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 AM

261 posts, read 512,404 times
Quote:
Its weird that you say this and with Ice-T and Him being so successful in the hip-hop industry. They are seen no differently than any other black person and its never been in question they just found some way to blend in. In fact this is the very first time ive seen anyone speak about it.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

I don't know how he would be viewed in Haiti, but in most islands he will either be seen as mixed or simply as white.
In which countries would Christopher Reid be viewed as white?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Its weird that you say this and with Ice-T and Him being so successful in the hip-hop industry. They are seen no differently than any other black person and its never been in question they just found some way to blend in. In fact this is the very first time ive seen anyone speak about it.
Really? Well I remember kids, including black kids reffering to that rapper form kid n' play as the "white boy". I heard similar comments about Ice-t back then too.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM

578 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who are familiar with the racial classification in the various carribean countries how would most light skinned black-Americans be viewed in some of these countries? I once heard a light skinned black-American say that in Haiti they didn't view him as being "black" like he is in the U.S. Instead they used some other term to describe him that was associated with him having "clear" skin or something. So if rapper Ice T was walking around Haiti how would Haitians describe him?
Actually it all depends. Even in the USA light skinned blacks get their blackness questioned. We all know how black identified people can be hypocritical at times. One minute they call a person black when it's convienient for them and then the next minute, they aren't black enough. It's like damned if one does and damned if one doesn't.

And many times light skinned blacks go out of their way to over compensate for their blackness as well.

On a sidenote it's quite ironic that Ice T called out Bryant Gumbal for selling out and being an uncle Tom and acting white. Bryant Gumbal is Louisiana Creole. But meanwhile Ice T has a white woman yet he calls out others as being brainwashed NY whiteness and white supremacy? Pot meet kettle.

Ice T is Louisiana Creole and African American.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
He is actually half Jamaican (father) and half Irish (mother). He was raised mostly by his Irish mother.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I don't think hip hop fans and viewers are looking at celebs for their race. It's just like Teena Marie. She is viewed by many as a soulful white woman. People accept her as binaries soul R&B singer and star that the race didn't matter.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with being viewed the same as or different from black people etc. Music shouldn't really be tied to race anyway. If you have musical talent and do good music then you can do any genre. Music IS music period.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
In Sierra Leone, in relation to skin color someone Ice-T's complexion would called "bright"...this was told to me by a friend
who is a member of one of the indigenous ethnic tribes there..as most people there are dark-brown to blue-black..with some
people being medium-brown...

I was told in Haiti, they make a difference between Afro-Haitian culture vs. Anglo culture ( a French-Canadian) told me this
and he is very familiar with Haitian culture and has lived in Haiti and gone back and forth to there..So I think someone like
Ice-T would be viewed as an Anglo-American..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas