Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:27 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup, he would be mistaken for an Irishman. What people realize, but I believe that his mother was part Native American. So, he technically is more Black than anything else.
No, he's mixed race that's a fact. Technically he's mixed race!

Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
So in Haiti, the people in discussion if they went to Port-Au-Prince, they would be viewed as mixed-race Anglo-American in
terms of race and culture?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 PM

I think the rest of the world views the American notion of race as being very bizarre..When some of my West African friends
first came to the U.S...We were watching the crowning of the first "black" Ms. America..My friend would say "Is she Black?"

I said to him, "Well in this country she is considered that." ... Then he said, "On watching TV in this country, it is funny to see
some of these people who are almost white with green eyes talking Black Black Afro-centric Africa this and Africa that."

I always wondered what would happen if "Black" Americans decided to check the census as to what they actually are for the most part mixed race and the remainder check Black if they are very dark or are immigrants or their children from Haiti Africa
Jamaica or the Bahamas where most people actually are black..How that would affect laws, programs etc..?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If this is the guy you're talking about:

http://www.whudat.com/news/images/wi...opher-reid.jpg

http://ronetheboxhouston.files.wordp...ceshot-med.jpg

I don't know how he would be viewed in Haiti, but in most islands he will either be seen as mixed or simply as white.

In Anglophone Caribbean he is "brown", or "red". If he said he was "white" people would laugh at him. Indeed in many of these countries people of Portuguese ancestry aren't considered "white". Ask any Guyanese how many races that country has the answer will be six. East Indians, Africans, Amerindians, Chinese, Portuguese and whites. The PM of St Vincent is Portuguese. If you called him "white", he would eat you for dinner.

What is interesting is if one compares the census of 50 years ago with today in the majority black islands the % of people self identifying as mixed has shrunk. Some of this might be migration, but a whole lot of its is because there is less of a stigma about being black, so many at the darker end of the mixed spectrum now just call themselves "black", because that is what most people even in the upper middle class now are.

Last edited by caribny; 05-24-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I

I always wondered what would happen if "Black" Americans decided to check the census as to what they actually are for the most part mixed race.?

I don't know which black Americans you are speaking about but in most countries most black Americans will be "black". Fewer than 25% will make the "mixed" category.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Malcolm Gladwell is half Jamaican, but I'm not sure if he'd be considered black even in the U.S.

Given that he has recent white ancestry, in the USA he will be biracial. In the Anglophone Caribbean he will be "red", or "brown". If he claimed to be "white" people would assign him to the nearest mental asylum, and would create one if none were available.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I don't get how Barack Obama is considered black he's not!

How about respecting the fact that he says that he is "black".
This is because blacks accept his black ancestry, where as to most whites, he is either black, or biracial. They don't accept his black ancestry.

Indeed even in the Anglophone Caribbean some one looking like him might identify as "black" without people objecting. He is no Malcom Gladwell, where such a claim would be seen as delusional.

What is interesting is, given rumors that there is African ancestry on his mother's side, most certainly there isn't European ancestry on his father's side, Obama might be more "African", than many who are accepted as African American without query.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM

A Mandingo friend from Sierra Leone told me that people who are Ice-T's complexion would be called "bright" there..I was
actually surprised to meet indigenous Mende and Shebro people who were medium brown like I am..

So I guess in Haiti..Ice-T would be "red" or "brown" then...I have also heard in the Caribbean a difference is made between
Afro-Brazilian and Afro-Haitian culture vs. Anglo culture.. So I assume an American going to Haiti would be considered "Anglo".

I admit I don't know much about Haiti as far as their culture as I have only met 2..I haven't been around them like I have been around West Africans..mostly Sierra Leone, Nigerian and some Cameroonians...

Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In Anglophone Caribbean he is "brown", or "red". If he said he was "white" people would laugh at him. Indeed in many of these countries people of Portuguese ancestry aren't considered "white". Ask any Guyanese how many races that country has the answer will be six. East Indians, Africans, Amerindians, Chinese, Portuguese and whites. The PM of St Vincent is Portuguese. If you called him "white", he would eat you for dinner.

What is interesting is if one compares the census of 50 years ago with today in the majority black islands the % of people self identifying as mixed has shrunk. Some of this might be migration, but a whole lot of its is because there is less of a stigma about being black, so many at the darker end of the mixed spectrum now just call themselves "black", because that is what most people even in the upper middle class now are.
Why is Portuguese not considered "White" in certain parts of the Caribbean?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
I'm Haitian and I'll be first one to say that ice cube would be considered a mullato in Haiti and so with Chris Reid.

Mullato in Haiti means exactly what it means in America.

Half white half black or just a mix of black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas