Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Where Do You See More Mismatched Couples In Terms Of Looks, The United States Or Brazil ?
The United States 10 50.00%
Brazil 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Brazilian men are probably better looking for a start.
LOL you are kidding right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
It's called prostitution.
Um...no. It's called an imbalance between the number of men to the number of women. Also, Brazilian women generally have different values than their American counterparts. American women place, however small, SOME sort of value on the physical appearance of their men. Brazilian women, unfortunately, have a little of that "Melhorar a Raça/Embranquecer" thing that is common in Latin America.Trust me, in much of Brazil, if you're white/lighter-skinned, you generally can snag your pick. And if you have light eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why does Brazil have many more women than men? Do you have a census link to support that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I also don't understand that statement. Brazil does not have a one-child policy, no civil war or anything, they probably have a ratio of 51:49 or 52:48 like most countries do.

Regardless of these two countries, I find mismatched couples an interesting topic. I am not so sure mismatched is even a justified term, it is rather subjective...
I guess it varies a lot with education. Educated, proud women don't run after ugly sugar daddies. Maybe women who are afraid they won't make it on their own, simply want to get married to someone they think will provide them with security.
List of countries by sex ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mulheres x homens - Portal Brasil

Brasil tem 6 milhões de mulheres a mais que homens - Brasil - R7

Brasil tem quase 4 milhões de mulheres a mais que homens - Brasil - iG

Mulheres são maioria no país, diz IBGE; desigualdade é maior no Sudeste - Notícias - Cotidiano

IBGE | Sala de imprensa | notícias | 2010 Census: Brazilian population amounts to 190,732,694 persons

4 Million More Women in Brazil than Men! » Rachel's Rantings in Rio

*Some of the articles are in Portuguese*

There are many other sites/articles/etc. That bolster my point. Even I, being here in Brazil, can say that there are more men than women. The main reason, I think, is that violent crime usually involves men, and homicide is high here. So men die. This is similar to Russia, where many men drink till they die, leaving the country with more women than men.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post

Mulheres são maioria no país, diz IBGE; desigualdade é maior no Sudeste - Notícias - Cotidiano

IBGE | Sala de imprensa | notícias | 2010 Census: Brazilian population amounts to 190,732,694 persons

There are many other sites/articles/etc. That bolster my point. Even I, being here in Brazil, can say that there are more men than women. The main reason, I think, is that violent crime usually involves men, and homicide is high here. So men die. This is similar to Russia, where many men drink till they die, leaving the country with more women than men.
What exactly is your point? Plus, you are contradicting yourself in your last paragraph...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Definitely Brazil.

Read DginnWonder's posts. Spot on.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 PM

81 posts, read 190,309 times
Quote:
What exactly is your point? Plus, you are contradicting yourself in your last paragraph...
My point was that my first point had been correct. You and another poster wanted that I prove the assertion that Brazil has more women than men, which is one of the reasons that I believe Brazil has more mismatched couples than the US. I proved said assertion.

I thought my point was fairly clear...

I and sorry. I didn't mean to contradict myself. Brazil has more women than men within its borders, which has led (among other reasons) Brazilian women to settle at a more noticeable rate than their American counterparts.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Um...no. It's called an imbalance between the number of men to the number of women. Also, Brazilian women generally have different values than their American counterparts. American women place, however small, SOME sort of value on the physical appearance of their men. Brazilian women, unfortunately, have a little of that "Melhorar a Raça/Embranquecer" thing that is common in Latin America.Trust me, in much of Brazil, if you're white/lighter-skinned, you generally can snag your pick. And if you have light eyes...

I don't know what you're talking about. As your Wikipedia link shows, the ratio at birth is identical to the USA and it's only anecdotically different at 15-64.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. As your Wikipedia link shows, the ratio at birth is identical to the USA and it's only anecdotically different at 15-64.
...How do you not know what I'm talking about? Brazil, as I showed, has many more girls than guys. I'm really sorry, but I don't know how that assertion wasn't clear in my last post..

Wikipedia, perhaps, wasn't the best source, but I urge you to look at the others, one of them being the official Brazilian census site (IBGE).

The USA and Brazil are built differently. In Brazil, to this day, many men move to the big cities (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, etc.) in hopes of finding jobs. This is especially true of men in the Northeast region, who move and try and find jobs in the Southeast. This, along with crime (that has always been more of a man's problem than woman's), creates communities where men are more noticeably scarce than in the states, especially in the North and Nordeste.

I'm sorry, but everything I've said can be looked up online, and I don't want to hijack the thread. Brazil has more women than men, leading more women to "settle." This, mixed with the typical latin "white is right" ideal (in an undeniably dark country) leads Brazilian women to want an EVEN SMALLER pool of men. Anecdotes are probably not the best, but I've seen very good looking dark-skinned guys past up by Brazilian women because they want "Olhos claros" (someone with light-colored eyes). If you have this, no matter how ugly you are, you CAN snag a good-looking Brazilian woman. This I promise you. This one-tracked mind leads to quite a few mismatched couples.

Last edited by DginnDoctor; 06-07-2013 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Changed "bug" to "big"

Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 AM

I think that is not the case.
Thanks to one-child policy, infanticide, etc. India and China for instance have more men than women. According to your logic, women there should be in the lucky position to be picky and men should have to be happy with almost any women they can get. But they are not, it is still men that are picky as those are very patriarchal cultures.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I think that is not the case.
Thanks to one-child policy, infanticide, etc. India and China for instance have more men than women. According to your logic, women there should be in the lucky position to be picky and men should have to be happy with almost any women they can get. But they are not, it is still men that are picky as those are very patriarchal cultures.
I don't want to seem mean, but whether you think that's the case or not, it is, and Brazil even backs up the claim (that there are more women than men).

Your comparing India and China to Brazil. These three countries have three completely different histories. You shouldn't use these two eastern, super-populated countries with a western, fairly sparse (in comparison) country.

Women, unfortunately, have it bad in many countries no matter how skewed the numbers are. Again, you're also not putting in the culture factor. Brazilians have a similar outlook that the vast majority of Latin American Countries have. They want to lighten themselves. This, in a country filled with "morenos" makes the "pool" even smaller. Brazilian women, in general, want someone with light eyes, no matter the rest.

Again, this is a breeding ground for mismatched couples.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:18 AM

While I have never been to the Amazon jungle, I do know São Paulo. There you can see a lot of mixed-race relationships of both sex constellations. And even if you claim that all the darker halves of those couples are in those relationships only because they want to lighten up, obviously all the lighter halves don't mind darkening down at all, so to speak. You are making Brazilians seem like superficial racists, which, however, most of them are not. Maybe it is different in the hinterland, but in SP (which alone comprises almost 1/10 of all Brazilians) and probably in Rio, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte and similar modern cities as well people by and large do not care about lightening up. Like around the world urban people want to be happy, which might actually be one reason for supposedly mismatched couples, i.e. people do what makes them happy without caring about what people might think.

Of course Brazil has more women than men, why even mention it? It is standard in most western countries. Nobody expected anything else.

And regarding my comparison with India and China, while those do have bigger populations, Brazil is one of the most urbanized countries in the world, much more so than China, let alone India. I.e. on average Indians live less densely than Brazilians, which makes absolute populations size a non-argument.
My point was and is that one sex being the majority does not mean they have to settle for any member of the minority sex just in order to not stay alone. Even if you have a population with 55% women, those women can still be just as picky as women in a country where they are the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas