Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Where Do You See More Mismatched Couples In Terms Of Looks, The United States Or Brazil ?
The United States 10 50.00%
Brazil 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times

Advertisements

In any case there are more women than men in most Western countries, but that doesn't make them "players' paradise". In real life the difference is unnoticeable. Everything else are "PUA" fantasies. There is no land of milk and honey full of beauties who fall for fat spotty geeks with no social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM

81 posts, read 190,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
While I have never been to the Amazon jungle, I do know São Paulo. There you can see a lot of mixed-race relationships of both sex constellations. And even if you claim that all the darker halves of those couples are in those relationships only because they want to lighten up, obviously all the lighter halves don't mind darkening down at all, so to speak. You are making Brazilians seem like superficial racists, which, however, most of them are not. Maybe it is different in the hinterland, but in SP (which alone comprises almost 1/10 of all Brazilians) and probably in Rio, Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte and similar modern cities as well people by and large do not care about lightening up. Like around the world urban people want to be happy, which might actually be one reason for supposedly mismatched couples, i.e. people do what makes them happy without caring about what people might think.

Of course Brazil has more women than men, why even mention it? It is standard in most western countries. Nobody expected anything else.

And regarding my comparison with India and China, while those do have bigger populations, Brazil is one of the most urbanized countries in the world, much more so than China, let alone India. I.e. on average Indians live less densely than Brazilians, which makes absolute populations size a non-argument.
My point was and is that one sex being the majority does not mean they have to settle for any member of the minority sex just in order to not stay alone. Even if you have a population with 55% women, those women can still be just as picky as women in a country where they are the minority.
Well OBVIOUSLY every mixed-race couple is not doing it to "lighten Brazil." Do you actually think that's what I meant? That literally every.single.woman wants light eyes? What I AM saying is that such thinking is quite common. I've lived in Brazil. I implore you to bluntly ask a black brazilian about race relations and such. They may bluntly tell you how right I am.

Porto Alegre is incredibly racist and they really don't see themselves as brazilians, so I'm not sure where you're going with that example.

Why mention the fact that there are more women than men? Because that was my reasoning for the mismatched couples here than in the US. I thought that was clear???

Using India and China as examples is getting off topic and have nothing to do with the discussion. Period. As I said, the cultures are completely different. You simply can't use them as templates for Brazil. Maybe if you used Colombia or the US (which, well, we are) it would make more sense. But China and India..?

Brazil is indeed a very colorist society. White IS the ideal, and in a country that is so "moreno," it's even more obvious than a country like the US which has more clear racial lines and where whites are (for now) a clear majority. Watch Globo TV, read some statistics about how blacks are dying at the insane rates that they are in Brazil. Brazil is not anymore superficially racist than the US, but the topic as of now is Brazil.

Anyway, this is all an opinion piece. My OPINION is that generally speaking, the average Brazilian woman is better looking than her male counterpart. My OPINION is that due to there being more women than men, and that the men are worse looking (that's not to say they're ugly. THey aren't. It's just that the women..) creates an imbalance and more mismatched couples. My OPINION is that these factors, mixed with Brazil being a rather colorist society, makes EVEN MORE mismatched couples.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Yes, being light-skinned is indeed advantageous in Brazilian society, just like it is in American society and even in Africa. However, that does not mean at all that, despite being aware of that, people try to lighten up by marrying light so to speak.

I did not say India or China were templates for Brazil, where did you get that from?! I just compared them to Brazil, which is legitimate. India in particular is also a very colorful developing country with certain race issues... I made the comparison because of what you said about women's choice of men.

I guess women look way better than men around the world. It is logical, even genetic. Men tend to be interested in women that look good, whereas women tend to be interested in men that have power. That behavior has left its mark on humans (and even our animal ancestors).

I really have a problem with the term mismatched. If a couple is happy with each other, they can't be mismatched as life is about happiness, not about fulfilling other people's stereotypes or tastes.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, being light-skinned is indeed advantageous in Brazilian society, just like it is in American society and even in Africa. However, that does not mean at all that, despite being aware of that, people try to lighten up by marrying light so to speak.
Oh it very much is something that people do. I urge you to read this, as well as its links (in Portuguese, which I assume you can read):
A Redenção de Cam
As well as this essay written by then-president Theodore Roosevelt on his Brazil trip in the early 1900's:
TR Center - Brazil and the Negro
Brazil has a history of trying to erase its black ancestry through intermarriage, something that the US did not try to do. Now, does this mean that every single mixed-marriage in Brazil is trying to do this? Of course not, but it speaks volumes that this is part of its history. History has a great deal of power in a culture.
Quote:
I did not say India or China were templates for Brazil, where did you get that from?! I just compared them to Brazil, which is legitimate. India in particular is also a very colorful developing country with certain race issues... I made the comparison because of what you said about women's choice of men.
What I am saying is that they are not legitimate comparisons. These are eastern cultures with completely different histories, geographies, peoples, alliances, religions...They are just too different. A better country would be Colombia or the US, which have the most similar overall 'layout' (Peoples, histories, languages, geographies, etc) to Brazil. You comparing China and India to Brazil is like me comparing Australia to Madagascar and Cuba. It just doesn't work.
Quote:
I guess women look way better than men around the world. It is logical, even genetic. Men tend to be interested in women that look good, whereas women tend to be interested in men that have power. That behavior has left its mark on humans (and even our animal ancestors).
Agreed, although I wouldn't say its genetic. Men can be just as (if not more so) attractive as women. But as you pointed out, men are treated in a more "3-D" fashion than women. In most cultures, a woman's worth is, in large part, located in her beauty. You find that in the US, Brazil, India, Russia, it goes with wanting to reproduce. However, men can most definitely be good looking, it's just that, most of the time, they don't have to be.
Quote:
I really have a problem with the term mismatched. If a couple is happy with each other, they can't be mismatched as life is about happiness, not about fulfilling other people's stereotypes or tastes.
I completely agree. Who cares what others think? The only person I'm sleeping with is you, so as long as you get me going, who cares?!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Well, I am talking about modern Brazil, your two sources are rather old
A Brazilian friend of mine told me the other day that racism is not so much a problem in Brazil, but strong class-awareness is. As long as you belong to the right, i.e. higher classes of society, people don't give a damn whether you are black or white or green with pink stripes

Sure, cultures are different, but people are people around the world, despite different cultures. When Indian men (men are the majority in India) don't marry women that don't match their criteria even though frankly they are not in the position to be picky, why should Brazilian women, who are the majority in their country? Especially since social pressure in Brazil is much less than in India, which is still utterly conservative.

Yes, I guess only women can answer the question whether or not a man is good-looking. Maybe they consider handsome what I (as a man) consider ugly

Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I am talking about modern Brazil, your two sources are rather old
One's history directly influences one's present and future. We ourselves, like countries, are direct results of our past.

Quote:
A Brazilian friend of mine told me the other day that racism is not so much a problem in Brazil, but strong class-awareness is. As long as you belong to the right, i.e. higher classes of society, people don't give a damn whether you are black or white or green with pink stripes
And race in Brazil is directly tied to class. The bottom of the pile is dark, VERY dark. Besides, with enough money, isn't that true ANYWHERE in the world? Money always trumps all.

Quote:
Sure, cultures are different, but people are people around the world, despite different cultures. When Indian men (men are the majority in India) don't marry women that don't match their criteria even though frankly they are not in the position to be picky, why should Brazilian women, who are the majority in their country? Especially since social pressure in Brazil is much less than in India, which is still utterly conservative.
I'm not going to truly respond to this, as I truly think that this has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
Yes, I guess only women can answer the question whether or not a man is good-looking. Maybe they consider handsome what I (as a man) consider ugly
Well, I'm a gay man, so I know a thing or two about beautiful men!

That said, Brazilian women trump the men by far. That's not to say the men are ugly, but by god these women are foxes.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are many Brazilian women who are very good looking too.
No I meant Brazilian men are better looking than American men.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnDoctor View Post
One's history directly influences one's present and future. We ourselves, like countries, are direct results of our past.

And race in Brazil is directly tied to class. The bottom of the pile is dark, VERY dark. Besides, with enough money, isn't that true ANYWHERE in the world? Money always trumps all.

I'm not going to truly respond to this, as I truly think that this has nothing to do with the topic.

Well, I'm a gay man, so I know a thing or two about beautiful men!

That said, Brazilian women trump the men by far. That's not to say the men are ugly, but by god these women are foxes.

Yes, history has its impact, but things can also change quite a bit and very fast. The brother of my Indian friend married someone from a completely different caste against the wish of his parents, something that would have been unthinkable just 50 years ago.

In Brazil there are huge regional differences, in Bahia being black or brown is the standard, thus these people are found on every level of society. Towards the south there are fewer and fewer blacks, except for the big cities, where many blacks are moving in order to make something out of themselves.

Oh, you are gay. I am not sure if your criteria are the same as women's, though. Never been gay myself
To me Brazilian men look pretty ordinary, which is logical as they vary quite a bit in looks, just like women do. I have seen Brazilian women that didn't look attractive at all. But those are not shown on Globo of course.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, history has its impact, but things can also change quite a bit and very fast. The brother of my Indian friend married someone from a completely different caste against the wish of his parents, something that would have been unthinkable just 50 years ago.

In Brazil there are huge regional differences, in Bahia being black or brown is the standard, thus these people are found on every level of society. Towards the south there are fewer and fewer blacks, except for the big cities, where many blacks are moving in order to make something out of themselves.

Oh, you are gay. I am not sure if your criteria are the same as women's, though. Never been gay myself
To me Brazilian men look pretty ordinary, which is logical as they vary quite a bit in looks, just like women do. I have seen Brazilian women that didn't look attractive at all. But those are not shown on Globo of course.
It's funny you mention Bahia, as I know that particular state quite well, and it is not like that at all. Bahia, despite having a black majority, has never had an even "moreno" governor, and the capital, Salvador, has never been headed by a "moreno" either. The state now has an incredibly bad crack/cocaine problem that makes the racial differences even more stark. There are no blacks in the upper levels of Bahian society. This I can tell you. One or two does not count in a state as dark as this one. It's eerily odd how stratified Brazil can be. There seems to be an even stronger aversion to Blacks in power in Bahia than in Rio Grande do Sul, for example, perhaps due to Blacks being an overwhelming majority in Bahia.

I also think Brazilian men look pretty ordinary. They run the gamut. People have a tendency to think exotic=good-looking, which is NOT always the case. I think the women look better because they take care of themselves throughout life. THe men do until about 25-30, then they just...let go, especially if they find a wife. The women on the other hand like to keep themselves together for as long as possible.

That's why I think they are more mismatched couples as well. I don't think the women necessarily look better, they just take better care of themselves. In the States, USUALLY, if one of them goes, they both do. If one keeps themselves together, the other does too. I think this has to do with the US being more egalitarian and equal than Brazil, but that's really getting off-topic.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Translation: I'm ugly so I'm not very successful with women in the US. Would I do better in Brazil?
ugly men in brazil do not make success into women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas