U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is Chile more like Peru or Argentina?
Peru 11 30.56%
Argentina 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

I always think of Chile as being more like Argentina in culture, both being very native/mestizo, and having long Pacific coastlines, but I hear Santiago is quite a European city as well, as well as Valparaiso, Conception etc.

Would you say Chile is more like Peru or Argentina in terms of culture/people and the urban layout/feel of the place? Especially interested in hearing from those who've been to all 3.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,169 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Chile is quite unique, but closer to Argentina than Peru, IMO.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always think of Chile as being more like Argentina in culture, both being very native/mestizo, and having long Pacific coastlines, but I hear Santiago is quite a European city as well, as well as Valparaiso, Conception etc.

Would you say Chile is more like Peru or Argentina in terms of culture/people and the urban layout/feel of the place? Especially interested in hearing from those who've been to all 3.
I mean Chile is more like Peru.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,619,863 times
Really neither. It has a little mix of both but not much. Chile is actually pretty unique.

I studied abroad there and to me Chile was like literally a mix of 1/4 Southern California, 1/4 of Mexico, 1/4 of Peruvian, 1/4 Argentina.

Landscape, vegetation and architecture it really reminded me of parts of Southern California. The behavior of the people reminded me a lot of the people in Mexico. The cuisine and it's South American flair reminded me of Peru. It's modernity, standard of living and infrastructure reminded me more of Argentina. It's like really a mix of all of them.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM

448 posts, read 562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Really neither. It has a little mix of both but not much. Chile is actually pretty unique.

I studied abroad there and to me Chile was like literally a mix of 1/4 Southern California, 1/4 of Mexico, 1/4 of Peruvian, 1/4 Argentina.

Landscape, vegetation and architecture it really reminded me of parts of Southern California. The behavior of the people reminded me a lot of the people in Mexico. The cuisine and it's South American flair reminded me of Peru. It's modernity, standard of living and infrastructure reminded me more of Argentina. It's like really a mix of all of them.
I was in Argentina earlier this year and it reminded me of Chile in the 90's.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:02 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,729,946 times
I can't vote on this...

I've lived in Both Chile and Argentina. They are both large countries and have climatic and geographical similarities. Yet, culturally they share little more than language to be quite honest. The western part of Argentina: Mendoza, San Juan, Catamarca. La Rioja, Salta: they share some similarities with the central part of Chile. Yet JuJuy is very much more like Bolivia, so are parts of Salta.

However, I ahd a Peruvian friend that said Chile was similar to Peru in some aspects...I can't say as I haven't had the priveledge of visiting Peru yet. However I've travelled extensively throughout both Chile AND Argentina, and it's hard to compare them both in many ways.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,223,346 times
they are like a mix of argentina and chile

Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM

225 posts, read 341,482 times
I lived in Chile 4 years, and it's by far the most developed country in LatAm. It's like:
40% SoCal: landscape, vegetation, ocean, weather, mountains and the rich parts of Santiago.
40% Argentina: food, people and culture.
20% Peru: latino culture and poor parts of the country.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
It is more like Argentina than Peru.

Why? For one, because Peru still has a lot of indigenous culture and influences, which is completely different han Argentina/Chile. Equally, the Spanish language of Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, is VERY slow and phonetic. They pronounce every syllable. Largely, I think it's because of the high indigenous populations in the Andes Mts among those three countries.

Whereas Chile, they exterminated most of their pure indigenous people. It's way more mestizo and spanish with few traits of indigenous. (Argentina also lacks indigenous population, for the most part). Hence, MAJOR SIMILARITY #1. Additionally, BOTH Argentina and Chile have a VERY CLIPPED Spanish, making them quite a bit different to understand for other Spanish speakers. WHich is MAJOR SIMILARITY #2. IN addition to that, Chile is a long thin country, and almost the entire country of Chile's extremely long thin border, borders directly with Argentina once again. Up in northern Chile, as it gets closer to Peru, there is a major desert in that area, which kind of separates it culturally from Peru, in my opinion.

So, there are three major reasons why CHile is way closer to Argentina than Peru.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,729,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It is more like Argentina than Peru.

Why? For one, because Peru still has a lot of indigenous culture and influences, which is completely different han Argentina/Chile. Equally, the Spanish language of Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, is VERY slow and phonetic. They pronounce every syllable. Largely, I think it's because of the high indigenous populations in the Andes Mts among those three countries.

Whereas Chile, they exterminated most of their pure indigenous people. It's way more mestizo and spanish with few traits of indigenous. (Argentina also lacks indigenous population, for the most part). Hence, MAJOR SIMILARITY #1. Additionally, BOTH Argentina and Chile have a VERY CLIPPED Spanish, making them quite a bit different to understand for other Spanish speakers. WHich is MAJOR SIMILARITY #2. IN addition to that, Chile is a long thin country, and almost the entire country of Chile's extremely long thin border, borders directly with Argentina once again. Up in northern Chile, as it gets closer to Peru, there is a major desert in that area, which kind of separates it culturally from Peru, in my opinion.

So, there are three major reasons why CHile is way closer to Argentina than Peru.

It's true, folks from Peru and Ecuador have a very neutral, well pronounced spanish, not usually too fast. I talk to them over the phone ever day, they're the easiest for me to understand on the telephone of just about all the spanish speaking countries.

Chile has ALOT of indigenous peoples in it, especially in the south Near Temuco and Pucon, their are whole "Mapuche" Indian villages down there. As well as below Puerto Montt near Coihaique Chile in the south....

Rural Argentina, especially outside of the big cities is more so mestizo ameri-indian, as well as Chile. However, I think, overall, the average Chilean has a complexion more like the Peruvian than the Argentine, at least facial features wise to an extent, with jet black, straight dark hair, yet with a lighter skin complexion, but it depends on who you meet and where you go.

Chile and Argentina uses alot of "Modismos" or "slang" in their spanish, especially in Chile proper and in Argentina, the cities and especially Buenos Aires...

In Argentina you have "Lunfardo" which is the Argentine slang ( origins from the city of Buenos Aires ) and the Chileans have a slang that is a mix of alot of indian words, invented verbs ( like pololear and a few others I can't think of ) and Chilean spanish has an accent that is quick and difficult to understand, even my Argentine wife has trouble understanding Chileans..

for example in normal spanish you'd here:

"otro lado" i/e: "the other side" sounds like "oh-tro lah-do" right?

Well in chilean spanish, with the accent ( especially in central Chile around Santiago de Chile ) "otro lado" sounds more like "ocho laow" or "ocho low" or "ocho-laow-PO" the "po" bieng the spanish "pues" equivalent...it's an interesting accent, very unique!

I still remember many common sayings from Chile, some quite strange, even by spanish standards LOL..

Some Chilean slang developed from the penal slang during the dictatorship and were words used by criminals and people involved in the resistance against Pinochet, they ended up making their way into every day Chilean spanish as common slang over time.

Even so, I think southern Chile has resemblences to both, BUT also MANY MANY differences as well...in my opinion, more differences than similarities and I've lived in both countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas