U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,629,573 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be cool to gauge which city a person rather live in in the comparable cities of U.S. to Brazil. So if you could only pick each one per pairing, which city would you pick to LIVE in?

1. New York vs. Sao Paulo
NYC for me

2. Rio de Janiero vs. Los Angeles
Rio for me

3. Chicago vs. Belo Horizonte
Chicago for me

4. Brasilia vs. Washington D.C.
DC for me

5. Salvador vs. New Orleans
New Orleans for me

6. Miami vs. Recife
Miami for me

7. Curitiba vs. Portland (Oregon)
Curitiba for me

8. San Diego vs. Florianopolis
Florianopolis for me

9. San Francisco vs. Porto Alegre
SF for me

10. Manuas vs. Denver
Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,996,663 times
Ultimately it depends on what kind of life I carved out in whatever city I'm in.

That said... perhaps the biggest strike against Brazil is its levels of crime and violence.

Between NYC and Sao Paulo--even though I would like to see and visit Sao Paulo--I'd rather be poor or rich in NYC than Sao Paulo. Freedom is much more severely limited in Sao Paulo for the poor and rich.

Between Rio and L.A. I think, I'll guess, I would prefer Rio. Mainly the way the women talk almost gives me an orgasm. They have some extraordinarily hot one's with a sense of style I just don't see on American chicks. Plus, Rio has black men and women surfers. And I've never heard of earthquakes in Rio. For me that's a plus. They've had deadly mudslides though. But rich folks in L.A. get hit with that too. And Rio doesn't get hit with hurricanes so far as I know, unlike the Gulf Coast of the United States like Mississippi and Louisiana.

I'm a bit of a Brazil-o-phile but have to be honest and say that Brasilia is F'ing ugly! So, I'd prefer D.C.

I don't like the fact Brasilia sits off in the middle of nowhere either. And all that 1950ish Jetson and scifi architecture sucks.

Salvador and New Orleans both strike me as having their own charms. Both seem like they absolutely suck to be poor in too. Some of those projects in New Orleans seem worse than third world nations. I'd rather be poor in Chicago or Milwaukee than in New Orleans.

Curitiba and Portland seem like they're about on par with one another. Lots of whites in both too. We read about Curitiba in an environmental science course I had. Interesting city. I think it would just be harder being very poor in Curitiba than being poor in the United States. But other folks in Curitiba seem to be pretty happy. You can have a worse life in certain parts of the United States. Like East St. Louis.

But I'm making guesses and assumptions off of impressions and limited knowledge. I have no first hand experience with these places. So, I might be wrong.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM

199 posts, read 976,474 times
lol, i'm gonna assume you're trolling

Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM

32,405 posts, read 55,283,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Thought it would be cool to gauge which city a person rather live in in the comparable cities of U.S. to Brazil. So if you could only pick each one per pairing, which city would you pick to LIVE in?

NYC for me

2. Rio de Janiero vs. Los Angeles
Rio for me

3. Chicago vs. Belo Horizonte
Chicago for me

4. Brasilia vs. Washington D.C.
DC for me

5. Salvador vs. New Orleans
New Orleans for me

6. Miami vs. Recife
Miami for me

7. Curitiba vs. Portland (Oregon)
Curitiba for me

8. San Diego vs. Florianopolis
Florianopolis for me

9. San Francisco vs. Porto Alegre
SF for me

10. Manuas vs. Denver
Denver
1 Sao Paulo
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Neither DC nor Brasilia
5 Salvador I suppose
6 Miami
7 Curitiba
8 Floripa
9 Porto Alegre

Old 05-25-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
lol, i'm gonna assume you're trolling
How so?!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 4,670,398 times
well, I would pick Fortaleza against each single city mentioned, either in the USA or in Brazil

Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM

758 posts, read 1,964,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
well, I would pick Fortaleza against each single city mentioned, either in the USA or in Brazil

LOL of course you would.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,964,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

NYC for me
Sao Paulo is definitely interesting, international and Brazil's largest city... but I feel there's something missing about SP that New York has. I feel like Sao Paulo is more of a global follower rather than a global leader, which is what NYC is. During the summer, SPs subways are only lightly air conditioned, while in NYC they're fully cooled. Traffic in both cities is a bit chaotic, but a lot more manageable in NYC. Also, SP doesn't really have a defined CBD...industry and it's people are spread out over a huge expanse of land.

Sao Paulo is, however, much more affordable, even on the high end; my friend recently closed on a beautiful 2 bedroom condo with a view on the 15th floor near Paulista Avenue for about 250 USD. For 250 USD in NYC, you can get an efficiency in the bronx, MAYBE.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Sao Paulo is definitely interesting, international and Brazil's largest city... but I feel there's something missing about SP that New York has. I feel like Sao Paulo is more of a global follower rather than a global leader, which is what NYC is. During the summer, SPs subways are only lightly air conditioned, while in NYC they're fully cooled. Traffic in both cities is a bit chaotic, but a lot more manageable in NYC. Also, SP doesn't really have a defined CBD...industry and it's people are spread out over a huge expanse of land.

Sao Paulo is, however, much more affordable, even on the high end; my friend recently closed on a beautiful 2 bedroom condo with a view on the 15th floor near Paulista Avenue for about 250 USD. For 250 USD in NYC, you can get an efficiency in the bronx, MAYBE.
Not even! In regards to 250k condo in NyC. Haha.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,996,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

$250,000 I assume you mean? How man square feet is the apartment, approximately? How much is the condo fee? And can you post some pictures of condos or apartments that look roughly similar to your friend's condo so I can get an idea?

Inflation is pretty high in Brazil though isn't or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas