Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most musically influential countries in Latin-America
Argentina 16 27.12%
Bolivia 1 1.69%
Brazil 24 40.68%
Chile 5 8.47%
Colombia 15 25.42%
Costa Rica 2 3.39%
Cuba 27 45.76%
Dominican Republic 8 13.56%
Ecuador 1 1.69%
El Salvador 2 3.39%
Guatemala 1 1.69%
Honduras 2 3.39%
Mexico 36 61.02%
Nicaragua 1 1.69%
Panama 4 6.78%
Paraguay 1 1.69%
Peru 6 10.17%
Uruguay 1 1.69%
Venezuela 3 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Argentina
Brazil
Cuba
Mexico
Peru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
What a list... (in a bad way). Outside of Santana and maybe one or two more, the rest of that list is full of musical ****. Its really a shame that the americans consume (and know) very little about the real good music of Latin America. Shakira, Luis Michael, Daddy Yanquee ... my god!.
Just like most countries outside of the U.S. listen to garbage mainstream American music. I am sure most in Latin America haven't heard of bands like Explosions in the Sky, Theophilius London, Balkan Beat Box.

It goes both ways and honestly expecting an English speaking country not to mostly listen to mainstream Latin garbage is a little unfair. I am sure I can say the same when it comes to Argentina and what American music they listen to.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Just like most countries outside of the U.S. listen to garbage mainstream American music. I am sure most in Latin America haven't heard of bands like Explosions in the Sky, Theophilius London, Balkan Beat Box.

It goes both ways and honestly expecting an English speaking country not to mostly listen to mainstream Latin garbage is a little unfair. I am sure I can say the same when it comes to Argentina and what American music they listen to.
No, but a lot of us know and love people like Bob Dylan, Jimy Hendrix, Neil Young (american-canadian), or REM. I think it doesn't happen in USA about LA.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No, but a lot of us know and love people like Bob Dylan, Jimy Hendrix, Neil Young (american-canadian), or REM. I think it doesn't happen in USA about LA.
That's not impressive to me. So what? You know mainstream music. Anyway what's considered good music is a matter of opinion right? So you might think the Latin music that Americans listen to is garbage while I am sure there are other people in Latin America that think highly of that music.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
What a list... (in a bad way). Outside of Santana and maybe one or two more, the rest of that list is full of musical ****. Its really a shame that the americans consume (and know) very little about the real good music of Latin America. Shakira, Luis Michael, Daddy Yanquee ... my god!.
Now i can understand why Daddy Yankee, but what is wrong with Luis Miguel and Shakira. I don't know of any Argentinian who is as popular or have more influence than them. I can't even name off the top of my head any argentinian musician. Shakira is a smart down to earth chick who knows 5 languages. Although Luis Miguel is a womanizer, he mainly keeps his personal life to himself.

I actually had to search for Argentinian music to see if i could recognize any musicians, and the only one that i did recognize is a rock band name soda stereo and even then i don't know even one name of their songs.

You mainly hear music from Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Colombia and Spain in the two major U.S spanish networks ( Univision and Telemundo) and Mexico's largest network ( Televisa).

Shoot i even know more musicians from Brazil than Argentina and i don't even know portuguese. The most popular recent Brazilian music video has over 500 million!

"real music" a very subjective term. Many americans believed rock was a tool from the devil.

I think this is an even better picture

Latin Grammy Awards per country

Latin Grammy Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexico 117
Brazil 116
Spain 55
Puerto Rico 53
Colombia 52
Argentina 47
U.S 39
Cuba 36
Dominican Republic 18
Venezuela 13
Panama 7
Peru 4
Italy 3

Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Now i can understand why Daddy Yankee, but what is wrong with Luis Miguel and Shakira. I don't know of any Argentinian who is as popular or have more influence than them. I can't even name off the top of my head any argentinian musician. Shakira is a smart down to earth chick who knows 5 languages. Although Luis Miguel is a womanizer, he mainly keeps his personal life to himself.

I actually had to search for Argentinian music to see if i could recognize any musicians, and the only one that i did recognize is a rock band name soda stereo and even then i don't know even one name of their songs.

You mainly hear music from Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Colombia and Spain in the two major U.S spanish networks ( Univision and Telemundo) and Mexico's largest network ( Televisa).

Shoot i even know more musicians from Brazil than Argentina and i don't even know portuguese. The most popular recent Brazilian music video has over 500 million!

"real music" a very subjective term. Many americans believed rock was a tool from the devil.

My previous post precisely was realizing the shame that popularity doesn't mean quality music. Your mention of Soda Stereo give me a good example. Shakira was a fan of this band in his chilhood. She also was a friend of Gustavo Cerati, the Soda Stereo's líder and versioned one of his classics: "En la ciudad de la furia"

This was the result

Cerati & Shakira - La Ciudad De La Furia (Fundacion Alas) - YouTube

Now listen to the original version by Soda Stero and say to me if this masterpiece isn't better than the entire Shakira's discography...(you have the oportunity to discover a new great pop/rock LA band)

Soda Stereo - La Ciudad De La Furia - YouTube

Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM

263 posts, read 808,414 times
Remember guys, this is a multiple choice poll so don't just choose one country. Colombia should be getting at least some votes by now. The genres of Vallenato, and specially Cumbia are extremely influential throughout the region. Some countries have even tried to make, or even believe Cumbia is their "own" because it's so popular and ingrained in their cultures.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
The question was about Latin American countries, why are people posting music from outside of LATIN AMERICA?

The most Influential countries are Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Rep and Colombia. Lots of people listen to Mexican corridos outside of Mexico, specially in rural areas with cowboy traditions. Salsa has its roots in Cuba but it was Puerto Ricans that brought it to the world. Dominican Rep is the home of Merengue, Merengue was huge back in the 80s and 90s, even Puerto Rico had its share of merengue artist. Bachata is also form the Dominican Rep. And Colombia is the home of Cumbia. Cumbia is often over looked but it is/was extremely popular almost everywhere in Latin America. Vallenato from Colombia has gained alot of popularity outside of Colombia over the past 10- 15 years.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
My previous post precisely was realizing the shame that popularity doesn't mean quality music. Your mention of Soda Stereo give me a good example. Shakira was a fan of this band in his chilhood. She also was a friend of Gustavo Cerati, the Soda Stereo's líder and versioned one of his classics: "En la ciudad de la furia"

This was the result

Cerati & Shakira - La Ciudad De La Furia (Fundacion Alas) - YouTube

Now listen to the original version by Soda Stero and say to me if this masterpiece isn't better than the entire Shakira's discography...(you have the oportunity to discover a new great pop/rock LA band)

Soda Stereo - La Ciudad De La Furia - YouTube
Then maybe they need to do a better job of putting quality Latin music in the states? I don't see how it's Americans fault that the Latin music that is listened to, as you say is "garbage" is Americans fault. Sounds like the Latin American music industry as at more fault than the U.S. if that is what they are exporting here.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
two words for you: soda stereo

a cult band in latin america, the most important latin american band of the last 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas