Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most musically influential countries in Latin-America
Argentina 16 27.12%
Bolivia 1 1.69%
Brazil 24 40.68%
Chile 5 8.47%
Colombia 15 25.42%
Costa Rica 2 3.39%
Cuba 27 45.76%
Dominican Republic 8 13.56%
Ecuador 1 1.69%
El Salvador 2 3.39%
Guatemala 1 1.69%
Honduras 2 3.39%
Mexico 36 61.02%
Nicaragua 1 1.69%
Panama 4 6.78%
Paraguay 1 1.69%
Peru 6 10.17%
Uruguay 1 1.69%
Venezuela 3 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM

263 posts, read 805,390 times

Advertisements

Which countries in Latin-America have had the most influence on the music scene? Historically and in the present times, which countries of the region do you believe produce the best and most successful musicians and genres?

This is a multiple choice poll. You have the option of choosing any of these countries.
  • Argentina
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Cuba
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela

Last edited by Antillano89; 05-27-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,294,522 times
I think you should really include Puerto Rico, as it has had a HUGE impact on the Latin music industry. Puerto Rico is a powerhouse when it comes to influence in music and it's artist are very famous throughout Latin America, with exception of Brazil but that is for obvious reasons. . Anyway I would say the top countries are:

Mexico
Brazil
Puerto Rico
Cuba

Then maybe the Dominican Republic and then Argentina.

After that, there is a huge gap!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Damn, I messed that up. I know PR is pound-for-pound one of the most influential countries in the music world, along with Cuba. Is there someway to include PR to the poll now? Can some moderator help me out with this?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:59 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,294,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Damn, I messed that up. I know PR is pound-for-pound one of the most influential countries in the music world, along with Cuba. Is there someway to include PR to the poll now? Can some moderator help me out with this?
Yeah TBH in the spanish speaking Latin American countries I would actually put it at #1. While Mexico is a powerhouse too, too much of it is only music that is really listened within the country. But in most Latin American countries you have people dancing and listening to artists from Puerto Rico.

I think the two that are the most wide spread are Puerto Rico and Cuba. I think Brazil and Mexico are certainly powerhouses, but it's more insular if that makes sense. Like if you go to Ecuador or Panama, there is very little chance you will hear samba or nortieno music at bar/club but Puerto Rican music? Hell yea you will.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah TBH in the spanish speaking Latin American countries I would actually put it at #1. While Mexico is a powerhouse too, too much of it is only music that is really listened within the country. But in most Latin American countries you have people dancing and listening to artists from Puerto Rico.

I think the two that are the most wide spread are Puerto Rico and Cuba. I think Brazil and Mexico are certainly powerhouses, but it's more insular if that makes sense. Like if you go to Ecuador or Panama, there is very little chance you will hear samba or nortieno music at bar/club but Puerto Rican music? Hell yea you will.
True, the music of Cuba and Puerto Rico permeates the strongest throughout the region, and the world. Also, the influence those countries have had historically is unrivaled imo. Most modern forms of popular in the Western world owe a great deal to Cuban music, for example.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,457,656 times
Well Bossa Nova became pretty popular even outside of Brazil. I used to have a CD of a compilation of some really good Brazilian Jazz. I didn't understand a word that was being said but good music can transcend language barriers.

I'm not sure how popular or well known Baile Funk style music is outside of Brazil and Rio de Janeiro though. But talk about ghetto partying and young women in short shorts . They seem to glorify the gun (from gestures I can make out--because I don't speak Portuguese) kind of like some rap music in the United States too.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,457,656 times
Has anyone ever seen that country a___ dancing the Mexicans do? Like they are stiff legged or something? I saw some Mexicans on Milwaukee's South Side at I think a Cinco de Mayo celebration doing this. And the music sound country as h__ to, relative to music from Latin America when you think of Salsa like songs or Tango music.

I took a few Tango and Waltz classes before by the way. And on an interesting note about Tango I've read that it was the first dance in recorded human history in which the man and woman danced so close to one another together. Interesting little factoid. If it's accurate.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,059,306 times
Since the U.S is a huge market for latin american singers and is not a latin american country i might as well put this

List of Best Selling Latin Albums in the United States

List of best-selling Latin albums in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of Mexican descent: 14

of Cuban descent: 5

of Puerto Rican descent : 3

of Colombian descent: 3

of Spanish descent( all from Julio Inglesias) : 3

of French descent (Gypsy Kings, they sing in Spanish with an Andalusia accent) : 2

of German descent (Ottmar Liebert, a guitarist who was influenced by Mexican guitarist Santana) :1

and Linda Ronstad who is of German, English and Mexican descent and sings mariachi ( I should count her in the Mexican descent category so that makes it 15.

Here she is

Linda Ronstadt - El Crucifijo de Piedra - Yo soy El Corrido - YouTube

I guess this is a good overall picture

Here are the Gypsy Kings who are from French and sing in a spanish andalusia accent.

Bamboleo - Gipsy Kings - YouTube

Singers from Spain should also be included. They are always touring around Latin America and have a huge impact. And even become more famous in Latin American than in Spain. Also alot of Italian and Portuguese(Roberto Carlos for example) singers crossover and sing in Spanish to expand into a bigger market.

I would say the most international are in no particular order

Mexico
Colombia
Cuba
Puerto Rico
Spain

Mexico is just as international as cuban and puerto rican music, and also Colombia.

This Italian singer became popular in Mexico.

Here is an italian song of his

NADA DE NADA - VERSION ITALIANO - MARCO DI MAURO - YouTube

Here is the Spanish version of it

Marco di Mauro - Nada de nada - YouTube

Here is Canadian singer Nelly Furtado singing in Spanish along Spanish hip hop artist "La Mala Rodriguez"

Nelly Furtado - Bajo Otra Luz ft. La Mala Rodriguez - YouTube

And to the guy who said the mexicans dancing appear to be "stiff legged". Dude your from Milwaukee, i repeat MILWAUKEE. You are the last person who should criticize a latin dance. THE LAST.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 2,890,083 times
Influential inside or outside of Latinamerica?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM

2,942 posts, read 2,890,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Since the U.S is a huge market for latin american singers and is not a latin american country i might as well put this

List of Best Selling Latin Albums in the United States

List of best-selling Latin albums in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of Mexican descent: 14

of Cuban descent: 5

of Puerto Rican descent : 3

of Colombian descent: 3

of Spanish descent( all from Julio Inglesias) : 3

of French descent (Gypsy Kings, they sing in Spanish with an Andalusia accent) : 2

of German descent (Ottmar Liebert, a guitarist who was influenced by Mexican guitarist Santana) :1
What a list... (in a bad way). Outside of Santana and maybe one or two more, the rest of that list is full of musical ****. Its really a shame that the americans consume (and know) very little about the real good music of Latin America. Shakira, Luis Michael, Daddy Yanquee ... my god!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas